NHL 2011 Draft Lottery

ZeroGravityFat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see how we do tomorrow.

Weird I just saw our last top 10 pick was back in 96 when we picked Lance Ward at 10th. In all fairness it was somewhat of a weak draft.

Was looking at something similar over the weekend. Top 10 picks for the Devils:

1996 - 10th: Lance Ward

1991 - 3rd: Scott Niedermayer

1989 - 5th: Bill Guerin

1987 - 2nd: Brendan Shanahan

1986 - 3rd: Neil Brady

1985 - 3rd: Craig Wolanin

1984 - 2nd: Kirk Muller

1983 - 6th: John MacLean

1982 - 8th: Rocky Trottier

Was looking at something similar over the weekend. Top 10 picks for the Devils:

1996 - 10th: Lance Ward

1991 - 3rd: Scott Niedermayer

1989 - 5th: Bill Guerin

1987 - 2nd: Brendan Shanahan

1986 - 3rd: Neil Brady

1985 - 3rd: Craig Wolanin

1984 - 2nd: Kirk Muller

1983 - 6th: John MacLean

1982 - 8th: Rocky Trottier

Some hits and misses in there, but thank god mostly hits. Since Lou took over he had 2 hits and 1 miss, but the 2 hits were pretty big ones, especially in 91 which I believe he traded up for.

never underestimate LL's skills. He will trade down, pick two random kids from the bottom of first round and make them the superstars of the future. this draft is a gold mine for the devils organization where there are no clear favorites.

When has he done that?

Not even "somewhat". That was literally one of the worst drafts ever.

Haha I was being nice but there were some decent players in there, but yeah compared to the years before and after it was a dud of a draft.

Just spent a lot of time here at work staring at our draft history and it's real interesting to see who was picked where and how many guys never cracked an NHL lineup. Can you believe we drafted Vadim Sharifijanov 26 picks before eventually drafting our all time leading scorer, Patrik Elias? This makes you realize how important drafting is and that you can get solid players in late rounds as well. Take a look...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html

yea, and it worked out ok for us so far. we also have quite a few undrafteds that worked for us, i have faith in the scouts to make magic.

There was a stretch where our scouting department was underperforming, but they have picked it up a little in the last couple of years. This year should be a gimmie but I am anxious to see where we end up in the draft order.

Just spent a lot of time here at work staring at our draft history and it's real interesting to see who was picked where and how many guys never cracked an NHL lineup. Can you believe we drafted Vadim Sharifijanov 26 picks before eventually drafting our all time leading scorer, Patrik Elias? This makes you realize how important drafting is and that you can get solid players in late rounds as well. Take a look...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007066.html

Sharifjanov was a stud when he was coming up. He had language problems and had trouble adjusting to our system. The Russian players especially seem to be more crapshoots than other guys unless they're just 100% surefire.

I think Kovy is the only #1 overall thats ever played for the Devils.

Sharifjanov was a stud when he was coming up. He had language problems and had trouble adjusting to our system. The Russian players especially seem to be more crapshoots than other guys unless they're just 100% surefire.

I think Kovy is the only #1 overall thats ever played for the Devils.

He had a ton of potential but he turned out to be a wreck. He was lazy and later admitted he used steroids when playing professionally which many have said contributed to gaining his job in the NHL in the first place.

Some hits and misses in there, but thank god mostly hits. Since Lou took over he had 2 hits and 1 miss, but the 2 hits were pretty big ones, especially in 91 which I believe he traded up for.

Kinda suprised no one corrected this.

The devils traded Tom Kurvers (the thing I distinctly remember about him was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone at the point on the PP, was years ago and at the begining of my going to games so take that assesment with a grain of salt) to toronto for their 1st round pick in 91(early in the season, not at the draft). Hoping to get Lindros of course. Not sure how Lou would have handled Lindros not wanting to play here but things worked out for the best imo.

And once again, thank you sharks for taking Falloon and not Nieds.

Joe

<ninja edit to specify that the trade was in season not at the draft>

Edited by Joe B

Kinda suprised no one corrected this.

The devils traded Tom Kurvers (the thing I distinctly remember about him was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone at the point on the PP, was years ago and at the begining of my going to games so take that assesment with a grain of salt) to toronto for their 1st round pick in 91(early in the season, not at the draft). Hoping to get Lindros of course. Not sure how Lou would have handled Lindros not wanting to play here but things worked out for the best imo.

And once again, thank you sharks for taking Falloon and not Nieds.

Joe

<ninja edit to specify that the trade was in season not at the draft>

All in all Lou did trade up for a higher spot and got Niedermayer.

And yes thank god the Sharks made a bad decision.

The Sharks wanted to draft the player with the sillier sounding last name and Falloon eeked out over Niedermayer by a few votes.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Lou wanted Falloon (as would have the rest of the league apparently) over Nieds. So in that sense, we were very lucky.that the Sharks had just arrived.

Also, I haven't heard anything about Lindros not wanting to have played here. I think he just didn't want to play in a fence Canadian city, apparently for tax reasons.

EDIT: just saw that someone made this point already.

Edited by Daniel

That last day of the season just sucks. Getting the 6th overall pick instead of 8th overall pick would mean a world of difference. If we could somehow fluke a way in to the 4th pick I would be ecstatic. We are most likely going to get a defensmen as the BPA now.

it's a full season thing, not just the last day. plus boston was barely skating. i don't think you can say that a defenseman will be the BPA with any kind of certainty right now.