NFL Week 10!

CRASHER

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to your team CR1976. Biggest Panthers game in 5 years and an extremely rare primetime game. Haven't been this excited for a regular season game....maybe ever. Should be a good one.

Thank dr33, you too!  I think the big matchup is going to be NE's O vs. Carolina's D.  I think Carolina scores at least 27 tonight without much problem...the Patriot D is just too beat up.  So the question becomes whether or not Brady and Co. can put up 28+. 

Thank dr33, you too!  I think the big matchup is going to be NE's O vs. Carolina's D.  I think Carolina scores at least 27 tonight without much problem...the Patriot D is just too beat up.  So the question becomes whether or not Brady and Co. can put up 28+. 

I'd say they can. The secret is the Panthers defense hasn't faced an impressive pass offense yet this season. The 49ers matchup was perfect for them since the 49ers like to pound the ball, and the Panthers defense could match up with them easily. But there are a lot of question marks with this secondary as it's a band of misfits. And they really struggled with the only good TE they have played (Tony Gonzalez). So Brady spreading the offense out and running hurry up will be a different challenge for this defense. They also constantly rotate all 4-linemen in and out, so the hurry up offense will be key for NE.

I'm really curious to see what the plan is for the Pats O...if they're going to go all-out and go into "Shock and Awe"...basically say "Hey, we're back, the problems we've been having are temporary, we're not struggling anymore!" 

Typical of the Genius' D.  Of course they don't get it done with the game on the line in the big spot.

Now it's on Brady to bail BB out yet again. 

Carolina is to much. Wins over San Fran and now the pats. Dam that's good

Maybe you should wait until the game is over?

OK, now it's over.  Congrats to you dr33.  Typical BB defense not coming through.

The Genius' news conference is on.  Just say "duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh" and be done with it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

OK, now it's over. Congrats to you dr33. Typical BB defense not coming through.

The Genius' news conference is on. Just say "duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh" and be done with it.

Thanks CR. Great game that lived up to the hype. Unfortunate ending with the flag thrown and then picked up. Not sure how I feel about it because you see all kinds of stuff never called on final plays in the endzone. But there was a flag.

I can't count how many times I have seen the Panthers drop game ending INTs only to be burned right after. So that was a relief.

I know you hard on Bill but that defense did a pretty solid job given all the injuries and the CBs out. And I respect what he does in press conferences, but he could be a little more graceful like John Fox for example. He doesn't say anything, but does a better job pretending not to say anything.

Patriots did exactly what I thought they'd do. Brady is a master of the offense. Luckily the Panthers were able to get more than 2 seconds on the final drive to get a pass rush on Brady. That offense made Kuechly have his worst game I have seen in a long time, and blocked the Panthers tackles pretty well all game.

Cam had probably his best game so far as a pro given the circumstance. Made all the plays he had to.

Found it odd at the time but that 3rd and 1 play action call and deciding to take the 3 points was maybe the difference. NE had no trouble getting 4 or 5 a pop so why not run there?

Edited by devilsrule33

Thanks CR. Great game that lived up to the hype. Unfortunate ending with the flag thrown and then picked up. Not sure how I feel about it because you see all kinds of stuff never called on final plays in the endzone. But there was a flag.

I can't count how many times I have seen the Panthers drop game ending INTs only to be burned right after. So that was a relief.

I know you hard on Bill but that defense did a pretty solid job given all the injuries and the CBs out. And I respect what he does in press conferences, but he could be a little more graceful like John Fox for example. He doesn't say anything, but does a better job pretending not to say anything.

Patriots did exactly what I thought they'd do. Brady is a master of the offense. Luckily the Panthers were able to get more than 2 seconds on the final drive to get a pass rush on Brady. That offense made Kuechly have his worst game I have seen in a long time, and blocked the Panthers tackles pretty well all game.

Cam had probably his best game so far as a pro given the circumstance. Made all the plays he had to.

Found it odd at the time but that 3rd and 1 play action call and deciding to take the 3 points was maybe the difference. NE had no trouble getting 4 or 5 a pop so why not run there?

In bold:  that's where I thought the game turned.  I knew Carolina was getting seven on the next possession...for me, it was wondering how much time was going to be on the clock when Brady & Co. got the ball back. 

Sure, the flag probably shouldn't have gotten picked up, but it's not the officials' fault that Ridley fumbled the ball yet again, or that the Patriots suddenly thought it was a good idea to play for 3 points instead of 7, especially when the Genius' D is notorious for not closing teams out in close games.  We've seen in games across the board that NFL officiating is inconsistent and flat-out wacky...you don't want to leave the game in their hands. 

Carolina out-executed them just enough to win.  They earned the win.

And Talib made a complete ass out of himself last night...he does have talent, but it's not hard to see why Tampa Bay tired of his act.  He was a flat-out embarrassment to himself and to his team.   

Gronk said that last call was good. That the flag shouldn't have been thrown at all. No complaints. Classy. Great game

A lot of observers feel strongly the other way (particularly a number of ex-NFLers), that it should have been holding at the very least, but what are you going to do?  sh!t happens, to all teams.  Carolina played a strong game and deserved to win. 

A lot of observers feel strongly the other way (particularly a number of ex-NFLers), that it should have been holding at the very least, but what are you going to do?  sh!t happens, to all teams.  Carolina played a strong game and deserved to win. 

Got to give mad respect for how you are handling it, and it is the right way to handle it. This is what one of my favourite NFL writers, Bill Barnwell,  wrote:

The Patriots didn't lose to the Panthers last night because they got jobbed by a bad call on the final play of the game. That's wildly inaccurate. The Patriots lost because they let the game come down to one play from the 18-yard line down four points. They lost because they put off the moment of truth, because they let themselves down with subpar execution in key moments, because they were victimized by the same issues that seem to haunt this team through every one of its notable losses. 

I also agree that at the very least it is defensive holding call (since the rule apparently states "The defensive player cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an eligible receiver in a manner that restricts movement as the play develops." So you have one untimed down at the 13.

But talk about the inconsistencies with the refs. It's the exact same situation as an earlier game for Carolina in Buffalo. (and let me tell you the parallels were insane. Both games had the QB start with 1 minute left. There were brutal penalties, dropped INTs and both had a Luke Kuechly pass interference negate an INT to end it. Both were pass interference calls on a receiver that I didn't think had a play on the ball. One flag was picked up and the other wasn't. One game was in Buffalo. One game was in Carolina. I doubt that flag gets picked up in Foxboro)

I really wish one of the two Panthers caught that awful Brady pass moments before so we wouldn't be discussing this call. 

I got to give NE all the credit in the world. To get to 7-2 without Danny, Rob and Shane for most of the season is impressive. I can't even begin to imagine how much easier it be stopping NE without any of those three off the field. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Barnwell's quote sums up EXACTLY how I feel.  Execution is the biggest part of football, and several fans often pull the "If we had done this and that, then we win this game or that one, and our record is blah blah blah instead of blah blah blah" card (but only when it comes to what affects THEM negatively).  It would be like me saying, "If Ridley had hung onto the ball in the red zone..."  But Ridley DIDN'T hang onto the ball. 

Players fumble, drop catchable balls, make mistakes, blow routes, drop picks, etc.  And in a parity-driven league, these games often come down to a few plays, and yes, sometimes an official's call.  That's the way it goes.  As great as it was that Brady and Co. at least were in position to not have to Hail Mary the ball to have any shot at a win, it's not like that game-ending possession was a thing of beauty.  Lots of errant passes. 

Gronk said that last call was good. That the flag shouldn't have been thrown at all. No complaints. Classy. Great game

He might want to tell this to his genius radio analyst...he's still crying and having a stroke about it.....must be nice to live out your fantasy of being relevant in the NFL through your little announce job Scott Zolak :P

It is sad that all the New England butthurt is taking away from what was a helluva game (Turico was extra embarrassingly bad last night too)

Scott Zolak is a tool.  I've heard about 3 or 4 clips of him, and he is brutal on the ears.

He might want to tell this to his genius radio analyst...he's still crying and having a stroke about it.....must be nice to live out your fantasy of being relevant in the NFL through your little announce job Scott Zolak :P

It is sad that all the New England butthurt is taking away from what was a helluva game (Turico was extra embarrassingly bad last night too)

What's your issue with Turico? I think he is a solid and does a great job knowing about the teams he calls, and probably better than anyone else, he understands the rules/situations clock management. Too many NFL announcers can't explain to the audience what a coach is doing/should do and why a ref called/didn't call a play.

Gruden can be a little too much. His verbal masturbation of certain players is overboard. He went on and on about Kuechly. It was too much, and he didn't even have such a great game. He called him the captain of the defense 10x and when Johnson went out, he goes, "the Panthers are losing the captain of their defense". He also kept talking about Cam Newton giving him nightmares. Why?

I still like Gruden's passion, energy, and his ability to breakdown offenses and defenses to viewers, but it's a little much.

Edited by devilsrule33

Why is no one talking about the Genius going for it on 4th instead of kicking the field goal earlier in the game?

Are you referring to the field goal that made it 20-17? I thought I mentioned it, but I didn't. I didn't like the 3rd and 1 call, and kicking the field goal instead of attempting 1 yard is tough, especially how good Brady is at the QB sneaks.  I'd have at the very least lined up again like you were going for it to try and draw them offside. Don't even bother calling a timeout but take the delay of game penalty since it was such a short field goal anyway.

I guess the wind was such a factor in the direction the Panthers were going that Bill thought the points was the safe option. Plus, with under 7 minutes left, you really need to go with the play that guarantees you the lead.

What's your issue with Turico? I think he is a solid and does a great job knowing about the teams he calls, and probably better than anyone else, he understands the rules/situations clock management. Too many NFL announcers can't explain to the audience what a coach is doing/should do and why a ref called/didn't call a play.

Gruden can be a little too much. His verbal masturbation of certain players is overboard. He went on and on about Kuechly. It was too much, and he didn't even have such a great game. He called him the captain of the defense 10x and when Johnson went out, he goes, "the Panthers are losing the captain of their defense". He also kept talking about Cam Newton giving him nightmares. Why?

I still like Gruden's passion, energy, and his ability to breakdown offenses and defenses to viewers, but it's a little much.

It felt to me like Turico had his Patriots' slippers on last night....it's an instant peeve when when any announcer calls a player by first name....and he called Brady "Tom" like ten times last night....it drove me crazy and comes off as excessively homerish...I usually like him, but when the Pats are on, he needs to put away....and it only seems to come out when he's talking about New England..... plus it is on ESPN, anything broadcast on that channel since 2001, tends to not get the benefit of the doubt from me.....