Loktionov agrees to 1 year deal - Chere

ghdi

I don't understand why you dislike swedes..  They are usually stable and down to earth kinda people.. Plenty of ridiculously good players have come from there as well..

Aside from the Gretzky, Lemieux and Crosby I think the most exciting players to watch are often russians.. Malkin, Ovie, Kovy, Datsyuk, Bure, Fedorov, Kovalev, Larionov, Makarov.. the list goes on.

I don't understand why you dislike swedes..  They are usually stable and down to earth kinda people.. Plenty of ridiculously good players have come from there as well..

Aside from the Gretzky, Lemieux and Crosby I think the most exciting players to watch are often russians.. Malkin, Ovie, Kovy, Datsyuk, Bure, Fedorov, Kovalev, Larionov, Makarov.. the list goes on.

All I'll say is that different countries appear to instill a different type of style of play in their players and might stress different kind of skill sets.  It also influences the type of competition a player grows up facing.  This tended to show early on where some Russian players appeared not to be used to the physicality of the NHL. 

Ultimately though, even if you buy into this, it's a minor concern, but not something you can discount completely.   

Edited by Daniel

I'm guessing in njdevs89's case, re: dislike of Swedes, it's probably because of Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.  At least Bergfors played well enough for just long enough to get another NHL team to think they had a prospect coming to them.  Josefson looks like he might have an NHL career, even if it's not a glamorous one.  Tedenby pretty much looks like a bust.  Always sucks when the first-rounders don't pan out, but it happens.

re:  Loki, one year is fine as far as I'm concerned...I think the return on him can be just about anything.  Let me see what kind of player he can be over an 82-game NHL schedule...he's never played more than 39 in any given season. 

I'm guessing in njdevs89's case, re: dislike of Swedes, it's probably because of Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.  At least Bergfors played well enough for just long enough to get another NHL team to think they had a prospect coming to them.  Josefson looks like he might have an NHL career, even if it's not a glamorous one.  Tedenby pretty much looks like a bust.  Always sucks when the first-rounders don't pan out, but it happens.

I understand that we drafted 2 less-than-stellar Swedes, meaning Bergfors and Tedenby. I'm not calling Josefsen a bust, as being a regular NHL player out of the late 1st round is pretty much what's expected, so if he can manage to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line center, that's fine.

But that logic is kind of terrible. It'd be like giving up on drafting North Americans after we drafted Ward, Damphousse, Hale, and Foster in the late 90's - early 2000's.

I understand that we drafted 2 less-than-stellar Swedes, meaning Bergfors and Tedenby. I'm not calling Josefsen a bust, as being a regular NHL player out of the late 1st round is pretty much what's expected, so if he can manage to be a solid 2nd or 3rd line center, that's fine.

But that logic is kind of terrible. It'd be like giving up on drafting North Americans after we drafted Ward, Damphousse, Hale, and Foster in the late 90's - early 2000's.

I'm not saying I agree with njdevs89's take...just presenting a theory of where his viewpoint originated. 

Im well aware...but we are not the red wings. If you look at the final 4 teams still in the playoffs their best players dont exactly play a sweedish brand of hockey. I have nothing against the way they play or anything like that.

per Chere

Devils and Andrei Loktionov have agreed on a new contract. Lou Lamoriello: "He's not going to Russia. He's staying in New Jersey."

@TGfireandice
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Andrei Loktionov has not re-signed yet, but it's "imminent" that he will and he'll be back in NJ next year.

Edited by Zubie#8

I think we all know Lokti was only traded due to the Russian factor so the question to Lou may have been phrased from that direction.

Not so much that, as there was no place for him on the Kings' roster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not so much that, as there was no place for him on the Kings' roster. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If that was all it was and they knew how good he could be, they would have asked for more. 5th rd pick is almost nothing.

Let's not go too crazy about how good he might be quite yet. He was a fifth round draft pick that could not crack the Kings' lineup. In these situations you have no leverage when it comes to trade demands. We're not talking about Tarasanko.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let's not go too crazy about how good he might be quite yet. He was a fifth round draft pick that could not crack the Kings' lineup. In these situations you have no leverage when it comes to trade demands. We're not talking about Tarasanko. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I realize that and I'm not saying he's gonna be a star, but if he can put up secondary scoring and be a 20-20-40 player, that's fantastic for a 5th rd pick and I feel like if LA felt that's what he could and I feel like Lou thinks he can do that, they'd have held onto him. I mean, he wasn't lighting it up in the AHL, but he had decent stats, enough for one to feel like he had a decent shot at becoming an NHL regular, which is almost always worth more than a 5th rd pick.

Maybe I'm missing something though. Were the Kings near the 50 contract cap and needed to get rid of him?

Not so much that, as there was no place for him on the Kings' roster. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the Kings didn't think he would go back to Russia then they would have just kept him.  If they chose to trade him anyway, without the Russian factor, I think he would have garnered higher than a 5th round pick.  Loktionov's value to the Kings, and around the league, was harmed by the fact he would play in Russia this season if he didn't think he was going to be on a NHL roster.

Maybe I'm missing something though. Were the Kings near the 50 contract cap and needed to get rid of him?

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_acquire_c_andrei_loktionov_from_kings_for_5th_round_pick_to_be_assigned_to_albany/P25/

The Kings were fearful of him heading back to Russia when his contract expires after this season.

“You’ve got the issue is that after his contract is up he could go back to Russia,” Kings GM Dean Lombardi told Dillman.“You just try to make the best deal you can.”

Edited by Devils731

good to hear he is resigned, but i'm not happy til i hear the amount of money he will get for the 1-year contract. hope lou don't overpays (1-1.2 Mio.) just to keep him in nj.

I realize that and I'm not saying he's gonna be a star, but if he can put up secondary scoring and be a 20-20-40 player, that's fantastic for a 5th rd pick and I feel like if LA felt that's what he could and I feel like Lou thinks he can do that, they'd have held onto him.

he must crack the top-6 and so he should (must) put up 30-40 points.

he is really useless as third or fourth-liner cause of his defensive play. saw him playing in the wc on a line with kovy and radulov for the first four games. kovy and radulov put up the points and lokti didn't look like he was in the right place on the top line. later he was demoted to the 3rd line and also scratched for one game.

so let's hope he finds his play again like in the first 10+ games with the devils last season.