Who will be the new Assistant Coach... Thoughts?

grcenter47

Can't you just be easy and say Rhinos?  Jesus fvck this thread makes me want to blow my brains out

Yes, but the idea here is that if you are speaking your native language, you've been speaking it for quite some time. Since you've have practiced this so much, you should be able to recognize the obvious patterns and not make glaring mistakes such as using an incorrect plural form of a common word.

It's like anything else, if you met someone who said they worked on BMWs every day for 20 years, you'd trust that they'd not make a stupid mistake, right? If they did, you'd assume they were lacking intelligence because how else could one make a stupid mistake doing something that they've been practicing daily for decades. Same goes for language.

Edited by ATLL765

Yes, but the idea here is that if you are speaking your native language, you've been speaking it for quite some time. Since you've have practiced this so much, you should be able to recognize the obvious patterns and not make glaring mistakes such as using an incorrect plural form of a common word.

It's like anything else, if you met someone who said they worked on BMWs every day for 20 years, you'd trust that they'd not make a stupid mistake, right? If they did, you'd assume they were lacking intelligence because how else could one make a stupid mistake doing something that they've been practicing daily for decades. Same goes for language.

I don't really care about typos in message board posts or imperfect grammar.   It's more when people badly misuse fancy sounding words or expressions in an attempt to appear sophisticated. 

It's especially annoying when it comes from people that make a living speaking.  Michael Kay badly overuses and misuses the word "ironic".  (It's ironic that CC Sabathia is pitching against Oakland, considering that he grew up there). 

Perhaps we can create an off-topic thread where people can bring out their inner-grammar nazi.

(Edited for incorrect use of "there" instead of "their").

Edited by Daniel

I don't really care about typos in message board posts or imperfect grammar.   It's more when people badly misuse fancy sounding words or expressions in an attempt to appear sophisticated. 

It's especially annoying when it comes from people that make a living speaking.  Michael Kay badly overuses and misuses the word "ironic".  (It's ironic that CC Sabathia is pitching against Oakland, considering that he grew up there). 

Perhaps we can create an off-topic thread where people can bring out there inner-grammar nazi.

Agreed on all fronts, I'm cool with most typos on message boards. I've posted when tired, anyone posting on an iphone fvcks up sometimes, and not everyone has the same grasp of English. It's the blatantly bad usage in real life that gets to me. But since I've contributed to the hijacking of an otherwise great thread, I'm with you on the starting a grammar Nazi thread.