Devils Re-Sign Matt Corrente

JakeDev

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Devils re-sign D Matt Corrente for 1-year, per @capgeek.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Lou Lamoriello confirms re-signing of D Matt Corrente, plus signings of RW Alexandre Carrier and C Phil DeSimone to AHL contracts.

Edited by JakeDev

corrente was qualified. But yeah, he's for the AHL.

That's even worse, his QO would have been $720K topside. Way to have confidence in your abilities to throw away $200K in NHL money for $40K in AHL money. :lol: I just assumed he wasn't qualified because of that.

I still can't get over that.

Game rates, roughly:

QO: $8,750 per NHL, $775 per AHL

Actual contract: $6,402 per NHL, $1,050 per AHL

If he plays in 5 NHL games *for anybody* he makes out better with the QO.

Edited by maxpower

That's even worse, his QO would have been $720K topside. Way to have confidence in your abilities to throw away $200K in NHL money for $40K in AHL money. :lol: I just assumed he wasn't qualified because of that.

I still can't get over that.

Game rates, roughly:

QO: $8,750 per NHL, $775 per AHL

Actual contract: $6,402 per NHL, $1,050 per AHL

If he plays in 5 NHL games *for anybody* he makes out better with the QO.

With a lockout coming, getting the AHL rate is pretty critical. I mean, I don't see how if you're Corrente you look at this team and think that right now you are any higher than 10th on the depth chart, possibly 11th depending on Gelinas, and given that Corrente has also been injured pretty much every year of his career, that's pretty inevitable too. Although hey it could be lucky him and he could get injured at the NHL level like he did in 2010-11, probably made $600,000 that year.

With a lockout coming, getting the AHL rate is pretty critical. I mean, I don't see how if you're Corrente you look at this team and think that right now you are any higher than 10th on the depth chart, possibly 11th depending on Gelinas, and given that Corrente has also been injured pretty much every year of his career, that's pretty inevitable too. Although hey it could be lucky him and he could get injured at the NHL level like he did in 2010-11, probably made $600,000 that year.

I guess considering the lockout, still I mean considering his position on the depth chart, it's not a certainty he even fits in the AHL plans, so you have to entertain the thought of a trade. 5 games is all he has to *attend* to come out ahead. And as you point out he can get injured with the best of them.

Unquestionably in the "bust or not" argument, signing for WAY under your QO to get a slightly better AHL game rate.... BUST.

Hell, even Hugh Jessiman took a slight paycut to get more on the topside and the guy's played 2 games ever.

I guess considering the lockout, still I mean considering his position on the depth chart, it's not a certainty he even fits in the AHL plans, so you have to entertain the thought of a trade. 5 games is all he has to *attend* to come out ahead. And as you point out he can get injured with the best of them.

Unquestionably in the "bust or not" argument, signing for WAY under your QO to get a slightly better AHL game rate.... BUST.

Hell, even Hugh Jessiman took a slight paycut to get more on the topside and the guy's played 2 games ever.

Trade? The dude passed through waivers last year, and promptly got hurt (again). Where's he going to go?

Can we qualify him as a bust yet? A late first round pick, but a bust nonetheless?

We gave up Patrik Berglund for Corrente and Zharkov... (trading our 25th down to 30th overall and a 3rd rounder)

Berglund was ranked higher and available for us... so it's not looking back with the benefit of knowing the results.

It's not like Berglund would make us that much better... but I'd far prefer having him on our roster than Corrente/Zharkov.