Fire Oates

ZeroGravityFat

Do you really think this is Oates' fault? Guys like Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Sykora, and so on need to be taught how to perform on the power play? Give me a break. Lou wouldn't have kept him with the new coaching change if he wasn't an asset. He can only teach these guys so much. Our power play is embarrassing because our team treats it like they are getting root canal.

I'm sorry but if this is YET ANOTHER coach that this coach killing team isn't responding to, then the bulk of the blame gets directed at Lou.

The last time the Devils performed well offensively? Sutter. He wasn't a players coach because he actually made them accountable and made them a tough team to play against.

Agree....... Cant go firing coaches...... Oates isnt playing the PP. So the reason why Kovalchuk gives up the puck in our own zone is because Oates is the coach? LOL..... I agree with you njdevil26, the players need to produce and stop making mistakes.

we arent exactly lighting the lamp 5-5 so why are we so worried about a good PP?

Disagree, Kovy is fine. The main problem I see is zone entry. Elias hasnt been doing a good job getting into the zone, neither has Henrique on the second unit. I prefer to see Zubrus carry it. Hes a decent stick handler and worst case scenario, he's hard on the forecheck

Kovy is fine? What season are you watching? He isnt fine, he should be playing much better. He was brought in to lead this team offensively and score goals and he isnt doing that.

Agree....... Cant go firing coaches...... Oates isnt playing the PP. So the reason why Kovalchuk gives up the puck in our own zone is because Oates is the coach? LOL..... I agree with you njdevil26, the players need to produce and stop making mistakes.

we arent exactly lighting the lamp 5-5 so why are we so worried about a good PP?

Kovy is fine? What season are you watching? He isnt fine, he should be playing much better. He was brought in to lead this team offensively and score goals and he isnt doing that.

How do you expect him to score if we cant get set up?

Watch one of the good PP's in this league and look at their sense of urgency and how they score.. Our strategy is pretty much the opposite..

We have Zach and Clarky, 2 guys who should be getting to the front of the net to either screeen a shot from the point (Kovy pp goal in NSH) or bang home rebounds (Zach's forte).. We give the goalie a clear view of the ice and pretty much are only effective if we can thread a cross-ice through their D to get a 1-timer.. That hasn't happened a lot and it won't in the NHL

So I see it as a PP system change

Edit: Forgot 1 big thing that they just highlighted the Red Wings doing well on NHL Network.. MOVEMENT!! Our PP is pretty stagnant.. Maybe the guys at the point move around a little but for the most part we just stay in the same places.. On the PP, movement confused the D and gets them out of position

Edited by Colin226

Watch one of the good PP's in this league and look at their sense of urgency and how they score.. Our strategy is pretty much the opposite..

We have Zach and Clarky, 2 guys who should be getting to the front of the net to either screeen a shot from the point (Kovy pp goal in NSH) or bang home rebounds (Zach's forte).. We give the goalie a clear view of the ice and pretty much are only effective if we can thread a cross-ice through their D to get a 1-timer.. That hasn't happened a lot and it won't in the NHL

So I see it as a PP system change

Edit: Forgot 1 big thing that they just highlighted the Red Wings doing well on NHL Network.. MOVEMENT!! Our PP is pretty stagnant.. Maybe the guys at the point move around a little but for the most part we just stay in the same places.. On the PP, movement confused the D and gets them out of position

agree, when was the last time we scored from the point other than zachs tip in last night. we havent been. kovy is dangerous at the point, its hurt us over and over, and the carry ins are horrible, we dump too soon or too fast or hold onto it too long. add in no movement. . henrique and Patrik have been BAD YES its a MESS

Agree we need to fix the PP, but there's a big part of me that wants to wait for Zajac to get back. IMO he's the most important player on the team, and I felt that way before the season started as well. If he's playing well and we're still bad on pp, then do what you gotta do, but this team's goal when he and Yayo went down should have been survive, and they've done that. I don't buy that you need to fire someone when you've done about what you've been expected to.

Kovy isn't sneaking down low on the PP enough. He's also logging way too many mins which in turn lead to his brain cramps and our shorthanded goals allowed record.

The way this team controls the puck on the PP, I don't want the point men sneaking down. The fumble the puck too much for that and the result more often enough is an easy clear for the other team. For this team the points on the PP need to keep the puck in.

Honestly I would like them to just treat it like a 5-on-5 situation at this point. Put two defensemen back there and use the regular 5-on-5 lines.

As for Oates, he needs to go. I have a feeling he is also the one behind the forcing Kovalchuk and Parise together mess, which destroys any little bit of depth in the lineup.

Honestly I would like them to just treat it like a 5-on-5 situation at this point. Put two defensemen back there and use the regular 5-on-5 lines.

That's a panic move. That's the kind of stuff that got MacLean fired. It might make you feel more secure, but it's not how teams win hockey games.

As for Oates, he needs to go. I have a feeling he is also the one behind the forcing Kovalchuk and Parise together mess, which destroys any little bit of depth in the lineup.

Honestly? You may as well just say he's responsible for the Kovalchuk circumvention penalty. That line has the team's last 6 even strength goals. That's not 'destroying any little bit of depth in the lineup', it's trying to create 2 lines that can take on difficult matchups and not get annihilated. We can also rewind to a week and a half ago when this line wasn't scoring and the Sykora-Elias-Zubrus line was scoring to bemoan how this line could 'never work together'. Now that it is scoring, it's 'destroying our depth'.

Edited by Triumph

the power play sucked (and was running the same alignment/setup) before oates got here. almost makes me think it's the power play Lou ran at Providence and he's demanding they run it here.

the problem with the power play is it is the antithesis of what the devils do to score goals at even strength - pressure / speed / forecheck / turnovers. It's 5 guys standing still hoping for a miracle, or more recently, 5 guys trying not to give up a shorthanded goal.

They can't even do that right.

until they move around more, they won't score unless they get lucky, like tonight when Elias got one off a defenseman's shin guard.

That's a panic move. That's the kind of stuff that got MacLean fired. It might make you feel more secure, but it's not how teams win hockey games.

How is the current setup helping us win, having guys who can't play the point play the point? I don't understand why you can't have two defensemen at the point, it's not like other teams (with better power plays) don't do that. At least until Zajac comes back, you can put him at the point and at least he won't **** up royally the way Kovy/Elias do on the point.

How is the current setup helping us win, having guys who can't play the point play the point? I don't understand why you can't have two defensemen at the point, it's not like other teams (with better power plays) don't do that. At least until Zajac comes back, you can put him at the point and at least he won't **** up royally the way Kovy/Elias do on the point.

Kovalchuk has played the point for pretty much his entire career. Elias has played the point at times during his career, most notably in 2007 and 2008.

Let's just compare Atlanta short handed goals against to league average:

2004: 7 Average: 8

2006: 10 Average: 11

2007: 10 Average: 9

2008: 10 Average: 8

2009: 10 Average: 8

2011: 8 Average: 7

Kovalchuk was definitely playing the point all of these years, and the short handed goals allowed are not substantially off of the league average. And you want to replace him on the point with Henrik Tallinder? This will work itself out. Tonight it sure looked like it was going to simply because the power play was dynamite, but then Hedberg had to go and handle the puck.

Edited by Triumph

Kovalchuk has played the point for pretty much his entire career. Elias has played the point at times during his career, most notably in 2007 and 2008.

Let's just compare Atlanta short handed goals against to league average:

2004: 7 Average: 8

2006: 10 Average: 11

2007: 10 Average: 9

2008: 10 Average: 8

2009: 10 Average: 8

2011: 8 Average: 7

Kovalchuk was definitely playing the point all of these years, and the short handed goals allowed are not substantially off of the league average. And you want to replace him on the point with Henrik Tallinder? This will work itself out. Tonight it sure looked like it was going to simply because the power play was dynamite, but then Hedberg had to go and handle the puck.

Kovy played the point in Atlanta. This is a different team. Putting Tallinder and Fayne on the point instead of Elias is a good move. Right now we need to stop giving up short handed chances and having two d men at the point is a good move until we can get better at handling the point on the powerplay.