I Need Your Opinions as Devils Fans on this

Meals on Wheels

I wasn't there of course, but since you are openly soliciting opinions....there is nothing wrong with supporting your team and cheering them to victory. However you did say; "I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game" and "now that I'm sober and clear minded" in your post. Might you have been a wee bit obnoxious? After all, nobody likes a drunk, especially if you have to sit near one for a few hours.

Yeah it's hard to say anything definitive either way since we only know one side of the story.

That said, usually the fans in the lower bowl and the fans in the upper level seats are from two different planets as far as visceral excitement, passion, etc. The weird thing about last night was with all the free tickets, a lot of people who are usually in the uppers were down below so there was definitely some culture shock with the sth's in the lower bowl going on I'd imagine :lol:

Especially since it's a Friday crowd and there do tend to be more people drinking at those games to begin with since it's the end of the work week and you don't get the amount of kids you have during the weekend games.

Edited by NJDevs4978

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vuvuzela? I would've thrown you on the ice.

LOL would have looked like a top with it sticking out of his ass.

Seriously, I have no idea what happened to a group of the under-25 fan base of this team once it moved to Newark. All of a sudden, they all seem to have this arrogant attitude that if you aren't drunk, standing up for 60 minutes, chanting "you suck" or acting like an overall douche....well, you aren't a true fan.

At least that's the impression i get.

Exactly. I'm 26 and like to have a good time at games, but it does get annoying at any sporting event when the people in front of you want to stand a lot during a game. Also not everyone is in their 20's, they may not have the energy to stand all the time, and jump out of their seats. Doesn't make them any less of a fan. Nothing is wrong with being enthusiastic, but I could see how four drunk guys standing and yelling in front of me all game could get on my nerves and like I said I'm 26 and like to drink before and during the games. :noclue:

I'm glad you said this. Because I agree, it would be rude for 4 guys to disrupt an entire game with their loudness and standing to block others views of the ice would be wrong. But keep in mind that we only stood during the goal celebrations, certain stoppages, and then wanted to during the final PP in OT in which we still ended up sitting :doh1: . So it was really only the end that we wanted to stand during gameplay, just clearing that up. I agree with those who pointed out that it is night and day between upper and lower level fans. Unfortunately the players can actually hear and see the lower level fans...

People need to keep in mind that for almost every team 50% of their fan base are front-runners.. The Devils just have a smaller fan base so when we do poorly our 50% is smaller than other team's

There's nothing you can do about it, but if you stay loyal during the rough patches the reward will be sweeter when you taste victory

LOL would have looked like a top with it sticking out of his ass.

Seriously, I have no idea what happened to a group of the under-25 fan base of this team once it moved to Newark. All of a sudden, they all seem to have this arrogant attitude that if you aren't drunk, standing up for 60 minutes, chanting "you suck" or acting like an overall douche....well, you aren't a true fan.

I think it's just that cheap alcohol became more easily accessible in Newark because there are bars a short walk away.. Since hockey is played in the colder months it was harder to tailgate and buying beer inside was expensive.. Now you can sit inside a nice, warm bar with $3-$5 specials and hammer them down before walking in..

I like to have a few before games but it doesn't make me aggressive or obnoxious, just louder and more easily distracted by the Devils Dancers :giggle:

I think it's just that cheap alcohol became more easily accessible in Newark because there are bars a short walk away.. Since hockey is played in the colder months it was harder to tailgate and buying beer inside was expensive.. Now you can sit inside a nice, warm bar with $3-$5 specials and hammer them down before walking in..

I like to have a few before games but it doesn't make me aggressive or obnoxious, just louder and more easily distracted by the Devils Dancers :giggle:

I guess a couple of bowls of loudmouth soup can have that affect lol.

Colin, the Devils Dancers? Bah, i know a few places in the Essex/Bergen area you can go to if you want to be "distracted" lol. I mean, i don't know...i only heard about it...yeah.... ;)

Call me crazy but if I wanna sit and watch the game there is a place for that. It's called my couch at home. But that's not really a calm place for me during Devils games either..

If I'm gonna get out of the house and go to a game I'm gonna cheer, boo, and do all the fun stuff that you only get to do at a game. But minus the profanity and such. It's still a family atmosphere so it's good to keep that in mind.

And heaven forbid I ever get a chance to see the Devils in person. If I do I'm sitting with you guys!!

We were sitting in Section 14. There's a lot of people who just sit on their hands down there. My brother had a vuvuzela and while a lot of people like it, tons of those crappy fans down there looked less than pleased.

Damn it I was sitting in section 16 wondering who that was. After I heard it once, I expected, and looked forward to, hearing it a lot more during Lets Go Devils chants.

Edit: They aren't nearly as annoying when there's only one and you aren't right next to it. Even if it was right next to me, I could deal with it for a game.

Edited by TackleDummy

I'm too damn nervous at times to cheer or chant stuff. I think I'm more relaxed with someone like my brother but its more inbetween commercials things where we just do silly things. I'm not one to start stuff but I will join in. Its my personality and I'm no less passionate just different.

Every sporting team or individual wants support from their fans and at the game that means noise. You see it all the time the players of most sports asking for the fans to get involved by raising their hands to the fans. I do think you should do what you want within reason and to do it without an inconvenience to those sitting by you so if they don't want to stand then respect them and sit because you are blocking their view. That doesn't mean you can't jump up and down.

haha, quinn, i have like no voice today man...i tried, i was screaming "lets go devs" as loud as i could

So was I. The 3rd period I was trying to get everyone involved but it didnt really work out that way. Oh well. Atleast you and I were the loudest in the section. :cheers:

I have no problem with people being excited, loud and cheering the team on, but it needs to be done at appropriate times and not for the entire game. I'm not saying you were doing this, I'm just making a general statement. I definitely want people to be pumped up and cheer the team on, I just don't need to hear somebody screaming the whole time, ya know?

The standing thing is ok when it's a big moment, like a breakaway, fight, shootout, etc. but I would be bothered if someone right in front of me was standing for a long period of time. You can do whatever you like to enjoy the game, but you shouldn't infringe on anyone else's fun when doing so. I certainly wouldn't want to stand for an entire 2 minute PP, so I understand where the people behind you were coming from, but they just as easily could've said nicely, "would you mind sitting, please?" instead of swearing at you and being rude.

So you weren't really in the wrong, but I don't think you should be mad at them for not wanting to stand. You certainly can be mad that they were jerks about it though.

We were sitting in Section 14. There's a lot of people who just sit on their hands down there. My brother had a vuvuzela and while a lot of people like it, tons of those crappy fans down there looked less than pleased.

Those stupid fvcking vuvuzela things are the most annoying things ever. I can't stand them. They're obnoxiously loud and ruin the enjoyment I'm trying to get from watching the game. Please don't ever let anyone bring one of those with them to the game again. Nothing against you or your brother, just saying it so you know for future reference. Vuvuzelas should be confined to faggy soccer games.

Edited by ATLL765

Wish I could stand. :( Once I had asked a standing fan just to move 1 foot to the right so I could see the action since I was unable to stand due to recent bone surgery. The dick said no and I missed the last of the game. Fans are weird. Sometimes I am happy that I can no longer attend games and must watch from home.

Hey all, I want some honest opinions on an incident at the game last night. I'm 25 and I've been going to Devils games since 1993. I try to go as often as possible and I at least watch every game on TV when I can't make it. I care about this team more than most people care about anything else! Anyway, The Jersey Tour got me and 3 of my buddies into the game last night as we landed great seats at Section 21, Row 10. I brought 3 of my college friends who had never been to a game before. They now have a new appreciation for hockey after sitting so close to the ice and I believe 3 Devils Fans were born last night. That's the background, here's the situation:

If anyone was in section 21, we were the dudes trying to rally the fans in the 3rd period with chants and energy, encouraging people to stand and be loud. At one point I swear Kovy looked over and acknowledged our efforts which gave us even more incentive to cheer. I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game and if you combine that with my hunger to see the first home win of the year, we were pretty intense and loud.

When the Devils get the Power Play in OT, we realize what a crucial moment this is for our team. We successfully get what seemed like half of the section at least standing during the whistle before the PP. Call me crazy but I wanted some fire and electricity down there. The Players can really feed off of the fans and that can be a weakness for the Devils. As the PP started, we were too excited to sit and we expressed that to the two people behind us. They weren't having it at all! Instead of asking us nicely to sit, the rudely shouted curses with such animosity. I replied, "We need more energy, let's stand for 2 minutes and will them to victory, you can't stand for 2 minutes?" They replied no so we sit and shortly after Kovy scores the winner. We went nuts, high fiving random people in the section but of course the two people behind us wouldn't reciprocate the high fives when we offered to reconcile.

So now I ask all of you, now that I'm sober and clear minded, was I wrong to try to get everyone to stand for the last Power Play? Was that so wrong of us? Is anyone else ever disappointed with our fans? Are the same people booing the team and yelling "You Suck" during goals the same ones not cheering during the rest of the game? Please give me your honest opinions because I need to know for the future and I hate getting into conflicts with people, especially other Devils Fans. If, for instance, a majority of you feel it was out of line for us to stand and encourage that to others, it will be good for me to know and I will change the way I approach those situations in the future. Thank you for your input in advance.

The group I was with noticed your efforts and tried to support it also. I am a loud fan, I clap or cheer almost nonstop. I try not to be obnoxious but it drives me crazy when the make some noise ends and you can hear a pin drop. I saw you standing up during the third and leading the cheers. Did cap on? Good stuff. I wouldnt worry about it. Last mins of the game was worth the extra energy the standing and crowd noise brought.

I was in section 21 with 3 of my kids, and I thought the section was pretty into the game actually. I was in row 17 though, so in the 3rd period a lot of attention was being paid to that guy in the Russian Kovy jersey who spent most of the period shouting at Kovy about his salary :) But to be honest, when the game is tight and the Devs are clearly oputplaying the other team (like they were the majority of last night) I REALLY want to be watching what's going on. I honestly don't even know if I noticed you, but only because I was watching the game - my eyes were on the ice. I really don't pay too much attention to what all the other fans are doing.

And we still can't talk today!

Edited by jim777

Hey all, I want some honest opinions on an incident at the game last night. I'm 25 and I've been going to Devils games since 1993. I try to go as often as possible and I at least watch every game on TV when I can't make it. I care about this team more than most people care about anything else! Anyway, The Jersey Tour got me and 3 of my buddies into the game last night as we landed great seats at Section 21, Row 10. I brought 3 of my college friends who had never been to a game before. They now have a new appreciation for hockey after sitting so close to the ice and I believe 3 Devils Fans were born last night. That's the background, here's the situation:

If anyone was in section 21, we were the dudes trying to rally the fans in the 3rd period with chants and energy, encouraging people to stand and be loud. At one point I swear Kovy looked over and acknowledged our efforts which gave us even more incentive to cheer. I must throw in the fact that we were all drinking before and during the game and if you combine that with my hunger to see the first home win of the year, we were pretty intense and loud.

When the Devils get the Power Play in OT, we realize what a crucial moment this is for our team. We successfully get what seemed like half of the section at least standing during the whistle before the PP. Call me crazy but I wanted some fire and electricity down there. The Players can really feed off of the fans and that can be a weakness for the Devils. As the PP started, we were too excited to sit and we expressed that to the two people behind us. They weren't having it at all! Instead of asking us nicely to sit, the rudely shouted curses with such animosity. I replied, "We need more energy, let's stand for 2 minutes and will them to victory, you can't stand for 2 minutes?" They replied no so we sit and shortly after Kovy scores the winner. We went nuts, high fiving random people in the section but of course the two people behind us wouldn't reciprocate the high fives when we offered to reconcile.

So now I ask all of you, now that I'm sober and clear minded, was I wrong to try to get everyone to stand for the last Power Play? Was that so wrong of us? Is anyone else ever disappointed with our fans? Are the same people booing the team and yelling "You Suck" during goals the same ones not cheering during the rest of the game? Please give me your honest opinions because I need to know for the future and I hate getting into conflicts with people, especially other Devils Fans. If, for instance, a majority of you feel it was out of line for us to stand and encourage that to others, it will be good for me to know and I will change the way I approach those situations in the future. Thank you for your input in advance.

If I paid good money for season tickets, and had some drunkin' punk who got free seats through a fan forum, and he turned around to tell me how to act as a fan...I'd teabag him and stick his free tickets up his ass!!!!

I hear what you're saying, athough I wouldn't have put it quite like that, LOL.

As someone who only goes to one or two handfuls of games each year, I too have noticed that there seems to be a huge youth infusion -- teens, young adults -- of fans going to games. And many of them are wildly enthusiastic.

Nothing wrong with that.

However, I've seen a countless number of guys who think that they can get a whole section yelling and cheering all by himself -- turning around to look at the fans in his section, constantly standing and clapping, waving his arms for everyone to get up.

I know he means well, but it just doesn't work like that.

More often than not, he'll end up pissing off just as many fans as the number of fans he manages to get to be rowdy.

A wild crowd has to come naturally. I don't think it can be forced.

I mean, yes, get up, yell, scream, boo, chant, cheer, do whatever the heck you want, but try and be somewhat aware of who's around you. Sometimes, you'll get a lot of people who are into it too. Other times, not so much. It's a crapshoot.

It's like we moved to the Rock and everyone wants to be the next Baumann. But really, it ain't as easy as it seems.