Brodeur: Devils have accepted mediocrity

NJDevs4978

Well if Schneider plays the rest of the games this season he might be able to catch-up to Marty's 18 wins this year.

And?  Schnieder's GAA is 2 on the season, the lowest GAA of anyone who's played more than 30 games.  Look at the guys immediately above and below Cory in GAA and tell me what you notice about their W-L records...hint, EVERY DARN ONE of them has a winning record except for Cory.  Not allowing goals is supposed to give you a better chance to win, and it does for just about every team in the league except ours.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&sort=goalsAgainstAverage&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage

Jagr can.  Schneider can.  Because these players are NJ's best players and without them they'd finish bottom 5 in the league.  Brodeur can't because he sucks now.  I'll just say it in words that the fanbase definitely understands:  he sucks.  He's no longer better than anyone.  When players play well they can criticize their teammates.  When they do not play well they should close their mouths, because the rest of the team is trying, they're just not that good.  1999-2000 Jason Arnott isn't walking through that door.  Scott Niedermayer isn't walking through that door.  Scott Stevens is walking through that door but only to tell Gelinas to hit more or something.  It isn't a good team, but Brodeur isn't helping.  In fact, he's hurting - he hurts the team every time he steps on the ice to play.

Easy Pitino

He has a point, to an extent. Old Devils teams didn't always have the best rosters, but the culture of winning was just there, and great roster or not, this team expected to compete for the division every year. And for the most part, they did. However, I think we got just about every point as we could from this group. I think Pete has done a great job with the tools he was given.

Also, like many of you have said, for Brodeur to pout about the team being mediocre is asinine. At least the rest of the group managed mediocrity.

Well if Schneider plays the rest of the games this season he might be able to catch-up to Marty's 18 wins this year.

We get it, you are loyal to some players and its your opinion. Just like your hate on the Kovy and Jagr signings. But this is one of the most asinine comments I've seen, even for you it's an f'd up comment. Are you that delusional like Brodeur? Put the team first!

Marty fanboys just don't get it.

Edited by Zubie#8

He has a point, to an extent. Old Devils teams didn't always have the best rosters, but the culture of winning was just there, and great roster or not, this team expected to compete for the division every year. And for the most part, they did. However, I think we got just about every point as we could from this group. I think Pete has done a great job with the tools he was given.

Also, like many of you have said, for Brodeur to pout about the team being mediocre is asinine. At least the rest of the group managed mediocrity.

Please tell me one Devils team that had a 'culture of winning' and got into the playoffs with a worse roster with this one.  Here, I'll give you two, maybe:  06-07 and 07-08.  The difference in those years is that they didn't have a relic old goalie who had to play half the games - in fact they had an elite goalie playing at the height of his powers and they rode him - and they won shootouts.  That's it.  That's the difference.

Jagr can.  Schneider can.  Because these players are NJ's best players and without them they'd finish bottom 5 in the league.  Brodeur can't because he sucks now.  I'll just say it in words that the fanbase definitely understands:  he sucks.  He's no longer better than anyone.  When players play well they can criticize their teammates.  When they do not play well they should close their mouths, because the rest of the team is trying, they're just not that good.  1999-2000 Jason Arnott isn't walking through that door.  Scott Niedermayer isn't walking through that door.  Scott Stevens is walking through that door but only to tell Gelinas to hit more or something.  It isn't a good team, but Brodeur isn't helping.  In fact, he's hurting - he hurts the team every time he steps on the ice to play.

I wrote a lot, but you said it in a lot simpler terms. Although, I wouldn't like it if Schneider or Jagr said it because I really don't think it is true. It's a pretty damning comment. and there has to be some real truth to it, if the best player on a team is going to say it. He is close with Lamoriello so unless that relationship soured very recently, why would he say this? He knows how hard Lou wanted to keep Parise. He knows Kovy shocked the world and left after free agency begun (I think when free agency started, Lou knew Kovy was ready to leave, though). I see a comment like that being said if a player is so disgusted with his situation and wants to let his owner know that a GM or coach needs to be fired. If John Tavares wants to say it, or Ryan Miller in the past, that's fair game.

I don't even understand why he brought up 2012, and not being a top seed. Again, does he remember he went into to June with a GAA way over 3 and a save percentage around .860. That had a lot to do with the team being behind from the start. In the end, they went to the fvcking Stanley Cup Finals, so who give a sh!t what seed they got into the playoffs with. The 97,98,99,07, 09, and 10 teams as well as the 95,00 and 12 teams show in different ways that getting in is all that mattered.

Did the 2012 Cup team accept being mediocre?

All these comments are some sour grapes from a goalie that isn't starting for a playoff team. He couldn't get games own the final stretch, and he saw the team from the bench. Easy to say the comments now when his Devils career is almost over. So sorry the Devils wasted your last few seasons...or was it other way around?

I mean the quote was okay. I didn't like his last little bit and he's I'd rather he just shut up but he didn't say ANYTHING bout the Devils "accepting mediocrity." Sensational headline.

“The thing is, we used to be a team that didn’t hover over .500,” Brodeur said Wednesday afternoon. “That’s something only the last few years we’ve been content with being that."

Pretty much a different way of saying that they're accepting mediocrity.  If you can give him a mild pass on anything, it's that he said "we" and not "they", so he could be acknowledging that he's part of that mentality.  But to me and many others, I just want him to shut up already...it'd be one thing if he was providing Brodeur circa 2006-07 goaltending and was getting flustered that the team in front of him didn't seem to care, but like everyone knows, his level of play has factored in heavily to the dropoff of the last couple of years.  I don't think he realizes that his on-ice performance is a big part of the problem. 

I know Schneider is already penciled in for tonight, and since it's a road game, the Devils might as well stick to that.  Give Marty the final two regular season home games.  Let him have his final farewell games and let the fans say goodbye to him.  Hopefully the Devils find a way to win them both (Boston has absolutely nothing to play for, wouldn't surprise me if they're not into that one at all), and Marty can finish the season with a save% .900 or better and 689 wins.  Then, I REALLY hope it's announced shortly after that he is moving on.  No "suspense" if Marty is staying or not.  No crap from Marty's camp about how he's open to the idea of staying but hasn't heard anything from Lou and we'll see what happens come UFA, etc. 

Anyone who isn't the blindest of Marty fanboys knows that it's over.  It needs to be over, and quickly.  Hopefully Marty won't resort to taking shots at Lou or anyone else if they dare to tell him "Thanks, but no thanks", but if he does, he'll only be making himself look bad (and delusional to boot).  Cory needs to get 50+ (preferably 60+) starts next season, and his backup needs to be someone capable of providing somewhere around average-level goaltending.  End of story.  Marty is just a faded brand-name now.  

We get it, you are loyal to some players and its your opinion. Just like your hate on the Kovy and Jagr signings. But this is one of the most asinine comments I've seen, even for you it's an f'd up comment. Are you that delusional like Brodeur? Put the team first!

Marty fanboys just don't get it.

You clearly DON'T get it.   

And?  Schnieder's GAA is 2 on the season, the lowest GAA of anyone who's played more than 30 games.  Look at the guys immediately above and below Cory in GAA and tell me what you notice about their W-L records...hint, EVERY DARN ONE of them has a winning record except for Cory.  Not allowing goals is supposed to give you a better chance to win, and it does for just about every team in the league except ours.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLGAGAll&sort=goalsAgainstAverage&viewName=goalsAgainstAverage

Just pointing out, during this hissy fit aimed at Marty's fair assesment,  that Marty carried us the first few months of the season and he has more than half the teams victories in less games played.     Marty DOES bear some responsibility, but some of the comments here are beyond reason. 

I think he's right. Even as a fan I have lower standards than in previous year. If they made the playoffs I would have considered this year a success while in previous years the playoffs were automatic. I know that the players aren't as good as in previous years but that's kind of part of it. 

Although I agree with what everyone else is saying as far as... this is sour grapes and he needs to shut up at this point.

The problem with this is the amount of people who want it both ways. There's one of two scenarios:

A) the team sucks

B) the team doesn't suck, but they are ok with being mediocre

If the team sucks so bad as everyone proclaimed in the Marty thread, then it's not a matter of accepting mediocrity it's simply not being good enough to be anything else

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Just pointing out, during this hissy fit aimed at Marty's fair assesment,  that Marty carried us the first few months of the season and he has more than half the teams victories in less games played.     Marty DOES bear some responsibility, but some of the comments here are beyond reason. 

Marty "carried" the Devils for about one month and 10 games, and he was terrific in those 10.  He was pretty bad the rest of the time, save for some mini-bursts...outside of those 10 games, he had an .887 save%.

Marty's save% since his 10-game hot spell ended:  .891  (game logs show he's been pretty inconsistent from start to start)

Cory's save% over that same time frame:  .917 (and he had a couple of terrific streaks in there...he had a .944 save% from 12/28 to 2/8 (15 games), and is .949 for his last seven games).  A couple of rough spells in that time too, but nothing more than four games or so. 

Lamoriello on ownership: "The stability of this organization is there right now and mediocrity is not something that acceptable to them and that’s probably what I like and respect the most about them."

well then they better buy out Salvador this summer.

What a fvcking disgrace, worst captain in the NHL by a mile. Did anyone actually ever saw a Salvador jersey with a C on it in the stands? im actually really curious about that.

Marty "carried" the Devils for about one month and 10 games, and he was terrific in those 10.  He was pretty bad the rest of the time, save for some mini-bursts...outside of those 10 games, he had an .887 save%.

Marty's save% since his 10-game hot spell ended:  .891  (game logs show he's been pretty inconsistent from start to start)

Cory's save% over that same time frame:  .917 (and he had a couple of terrific streaks in there...he had a .944 save% from 12/28 to 2/8 (15 games), and is .949 for his last seven games).  A couple of rough spells in that time too, but nothing more than four games or so. 

I am not saying anything bad about Corey, he has been very consistent and good.  But the team tends to WIN more when Marty plays for whatever reason.    

Again, all the hissy fits here blaming Marty for not scoring is a little silly.  

I am not saying anything bad about Corey, he has been very consistent and good.  But the team tends to WIN more when Marty plays for whatever reason.    

Again, all the hissy fits here blaming Marty for not scoring is a little silly.  

But you're doing just to opposite and blaming Cory for not "winning" enough, which is blaming him for not scoring as well.

Pot, kettle.

The Devils had a good, but not great team this year.  Mediocre is an insulting term to use for this team imo considering that there were many more good things than bad things about this team.  Consistent offense really hurt the team.  Why was the offense inconsistent?  Well it's a number of things.

1. Gelinas and Larsson were badly misused.  There was no reason for Gelinas to be constantly sent down, brought back up, and scratched. His defense might have been bad at times, but that's no reason to send him down and scratch him for long periods of time.  It stunts the growth of any young player.  Larsson should have been on the team all year.  Larsson is the best passing defenseman on the team, and could have definitely helped with the breakout as well as the powerplay.

2. Injuries at the wrong times.  Obviously every team deals with injuries.  But Brunner early on in the season got hurt when he was in the middle of a hot stretch.  Elias, Henrique, and Clowe all got hurt at the worst possible time at the end of the season.

3. Constantly changing lines.  How are the guys gonna gain any kind of chemistry if they have new linemates every week?  Splitting Henrique and Elias up was so moronic that one week.  The one guy who was consistent all year, was the only one who had a consistent linemate all year.  Jagr and Zajac was the only pairing Pete refused to split up.

4. No luck.  The Devils had a very good puck possession team this year, and outplayed their opponents more times than not.  The Devils had a lot of bad luck in the shootout this year as well which contributed.

The Devils had a plenty good enough team to make the playoffs this year.  Too many things went wrong for them, and that's why they missed the playoffs.  If you miss the playoffs, it doesn't mean you weren't good enough necessarily.

I also want to point out that Marty talking like the Devils need an Attitude Adjustment really grinds my gears.  It's by far one of the most ironic things he could have said.  If anyone needs an attitude adjustment, it's him.

A few thoughts:

3) For for him to talk about mediocrity is laughable. The only way I'd agree with him is if he said, "Deboer should have started Cory 65 games if we didn't want to be mediocre". Honestly, the team that signs Brodeur next season and gives him what he wants (more games than this year) will be the leader in the clubhouse for "accepting mediocrity" For Brodeur to say that, he is insulting Lou, Conte, Deboer, and his teammates.

No goalie (or player for that matter) is ever going to say that, nor should they.  It's one thing to recognize in your own heart that your abilities may be declining, but as long as you want to put on the jersey and take a paycheck, you should be willing and have the desire to go out there and be the number one, leading and taking charge.  There are some players there are better at it than others, but I wouldn't a goalie on my team, starter or backup, who didn't want to BE the starter, even if he is a 42yr old.   I'm not saying these stories and comments make me warm and fuzzy, but what I am saying is that I think it's just media fodder and people get wayyyy too worked up over this stuff that really means nothing, and I would much rather have a goalie that wants to play and is dying for playing time than a goalie who is melancholy and half-hearted, not caring whether we win or lose because he's at the end of his career and basically set every damn record there is.