Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

My post from the other Marty thread...seems more relevant here, now that it's official:

The fan in me is happy he's back, because I've always been firmly in his corner, and love what he brought to the Devils for so long.

The GM in me thinks Lou overpaid for him in dollars and term.

The optimist in me hopes he can win about 50 games the next two seasons and look reasonably good doing it.

The pessimist in me worries about it getting ugly for him on the ice...I saw glimpses of the potential for that the past two seasons, and I hope I never see him forced from the game due to his skills flat-out deserting him entirely. There's a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing him retire this year, as he has nothing left to prove, and would've gone out on a relative high. Two years at which he'll playing at the ages of 40 and 41 are a scary proposition...even if he falls flat on his face, I have more than enough great Marty memories to offset that, but I just don't ever want him to be embarrassed on the ice.

The legend lives on

Let's hope. If December rolls around and Marty has a save% in the .880s and a losing record and appears to be the weak link, this board will be shredding him and Lou mercilessly and we both know it.

I love #30 and have done so for 18 seasons. I'm unsure about this deal, as it delays our switch to the next goalie. I was hoping the '12-'13 season would see a 50-30 split with a younger keeper.... Oh well, Time will tell.

I don't think this delays our switch. If anything, we know we'll have Marty around the next 2 years to be able to coach and guide Wellwood or Kinkaid . The experience of mentorship from someone in the game like Brodeur is priceless in my opinion. Hell, even Kovy was being mentored by Marty during the playoffs. This contract is high, yes, but it's a show of loyalty and respect to both Brodeur and the fans..

Bad contract...and i'm thinking it means Lou threw in the towel on Parise and didnt want to lose both.

Could very well be the truth, though all of the "sources" that made it sound like the Devils couldn't afford anything at all look pretty foolish.

If the rumored offers are anywhere near the truth, re: Parise, I say thanks for everything, best of luck. Being the best UFA available in your class doesn't make you a superstar by default, and it's obvious too many GMs in all sports will never learn that. Go ahead, pay Parise like a superstar...won't make him one.

Good for Lou, Good for Marty. The one mllion dollar question is who will back Marty up. Of hedberg, hope it's for 1 year with a kinkaid/wedgewood getting some facetime year 2. Wouldn' mind seeig them this updoming year though. The morw time they can use Marty as a mentor, thw better.

I love #30 and have done so for 18 seasons. I'm unsure about this deal, as it delays our switch to the next goalie. I was hoping the '12-'13 season would see a 50-30 split with a younger keeper.... Oh well, Time will tell.

No reason it can't happen anyway. Hedberg's not signing here for two years, just Marty. Bring Moose back for one, then you can ease one of the kids in under Marty (in theory) in '13-14.

This deal means Brodeur thinks he's "starting" another 100 games, so that does appear delay the switch.

Not if he doesn't play well. If he has a first half like last season's and doesn't pull it together, and is clearly holding the team back, the Devils can't (and I believe won't) just pencil him in for 50 games. And I think Marty probably realizes this final contract is almost like a gift from Lou, for all of his contributions and for taking less than market value for all of his contracts before this one...if he's not anywhere near living up to it, and getting embarrassed, I don't think he's going to fight it if his playing time sees significant reduction.

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

I agree that this was surely a difficult situation to keep "loyalty" or emotion totally out of the equation, but...

The greatest of all time just took another pay cut. I think it's a little silly to get worked up about this, especially considering what this team accomplished last year. There's risk, sure, but there's risk with 95% or more of goaltenders in the NHL.

From the other thread:

I really dont care if its an overpayment (which it clearly is by at least 1.5 million a year minimum) i wanted him back. Who knows, maybe this sends a message to Zach that if you stay as a Devil you will get taken care of.

Anyway its only right that the greatest ever should finnish where he started.

Not if he doesn't play well. If he has a first half like last season's and doesn't pull it together, and is clearly holding the team back, the Devils can't (and I believe won't) just pencil him in for 50 games. And I think Marty probably realizes this final contract is almost like a gift from Lou, for all of his contributions and for taking less than market value for all of his contracts before this one...if he's not anywhere near living up to it, and getting embarrassed, I don't think he's going to fight it if his playing time sees significant reduction.

My post was from #30's Point of view. He will expect to start 60 next season. If we sign Moose, then perhaps we'll be more likely to sit Matty in a cool stretch, and use the proven backup.

I still would prefer a young keeper as back up this coming year.

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

I'm dont necessarily disagree in principle, but consider the circrumstances. The Devils had, in reality, zero NHL goaltenders before this signing. How can you expect them to not overpay or cave to MB's terms?