Nets already turning back on NJ

The Facepainter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching SNY today, and they mentioned that the Nets are finished using their blue jersey's which have "NEW JERSEY" on the front of the uniform. I'm not a basketball fan, so I'm a bit indifferent towards having a basketball team or not in NJ.

I'm surprised they haven't already changed their name to New York. They would fit right in with the Giants, Jets, Red Bulls, etc.

I don't really mind the move to Brooklyn, I just hate the way they go about it. They act like its embarassing to play in NJ. I mean... Couldn't you at least wait until you've broken ground to do something like this?

I don't really mind the move to Brooklyn, I just hate the way they go about it. They act like its embarassing to play in NJ. I mean... Couldn't you at least wait until you've broken ground to do something like this?

The Nets are an embaressment to us, not the other way around. Good fvcking riddance.

Also, to add on to my first post, can they at least be called the "New York Nets" and not the "Brooklyn Nets." It just sounds better, and I may consider remaining a fan if they are called "New York."

They are probably better off getting out of NJ, they get like no crowds.. my high school frequently got ticket offers (free tix for students, about 1 game every 2 weeks!! too bad im just a casual basketball fan)..

hopefully the nets have a successful draft tonight (last year's draft was excellent, Lopez looks like a franchise center, Anderson and CDR filled in nicely off the bench, hell Anderson got some solid starting time when Yi was hurt).. they pick at #11 tonight. flynn probably wont fall to them, sadly.. but there is always hope!

They are probably better off getting out of NJ, they get like no crowds.. my high school frequently got ticket offers (free tix for students, about 1 game every 2 weeks!! too bad im just a casual basketball fan)..

hopefully the nets have a successful draft tonight (last year's draft was excellent, Lopez looks like a franchise center, Anderson and CDR filled in nicely off the bench, hell Anderson got some solid starting time when Yi was hurt).. they pick at #11 tonight. flynn probably wont fall to them, sadly.. but there is always hope!

Part of the reason they get no crowds though is because everybody knows they are leaving in the next couple seasons, so they lost a lot of their fans.

Part of the reason they get no crowds though is because everybody knows they are leaving in the next couple seasons, so they lost a lot of their fans.

Eh, Im not so sure thats a big reason though.. they averaged like only 15k in 2003 (and IIRC they had a good year in 2003 and went to the Finals), but in 2004 they somehow averaged even less (about 14k).. the attendance rose a bit after that, then fell back down to the ~15k range.

Dont get me wrong though; Im sure a part of it is the news about Brooklyn, but I think its just a very small part... or at least the attendance averages seem to indicate that.

edit: fwiw, Nets went to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003 (but lost in both).. I dunno what the Nets averaged in 2002, but you would think a Finals appearance in 2003 (for the 2nd straight year too) would boost up attendance at least a bit in 2004... but it didn't, and in fact the attendance dropped very slightly to average 232 less seats filled per game in '04 compared to '03.

Edited by nmigliore

I can't get on the Nets for bad attendance. That team was in a similar boat to that of the Devils for so long. Terrible teams and no marketing. Sure they had those two years of making the finals, but then ownership changed hands, announced their intention to move to Brooklyn, and traded away fan favorite Kenyon Martin in what looked like a downsizing. When the fans complained, the new owner realized the mistake he made and brought in Vince Carter. But by that time, the damage had been done and whatever NJ fanbase the team had built up began to erode.

At least, that's how it seemed to me.

Is it too late for the Nets? That is, if they decided to stay in NJ and move to The Rock, could they rebuild their fanbase? Or are they better off moving to NY or elsewhere?

tough call

I think it would take a good strong push in Newark and some work... but the wonders they did for the Devils there, I think they can do the same in a market that is more aimed at basketball anyway (all racial commentary... probably intended :P)

Is it too late for the Nets? That is, if they decided to stay in NJ and move to The Rock, could they rebuild their fanbase? Or are they better off moving to NY or elsewhere?

Doing sh!t like this is gonna make it hard on them. Problem is, the team really and truly believes that they'll be moving to Brooklyn next year. As such, they'll keep spurring New Jersey because they really know they're gonna be in Brooklyn.

I want them in Newark, but the more and more this goes on, the more I'd like to see Brooklyn fail and Newark give a good hearty F-U and let the team go to Kansas City or Seattle or wherever.

Well I think moving to Newark would be easier.. I dunno if it would make a noticeable change in attendance though (well for one the Rock only holds like 17K+ right?).. They would probably still at ~15k per game like they have been in recent years, but the arena would be more filled and look less empty and saddening like it does at the Izod Center.

With the Knicks being so consistently bad right now, a move to Brooklyn would be very good for the Nets I think.. they would attract the casual basketball fan in that area and Im sure many Knicks fans would like to check out the new digs of the new team in NY... But its definitely more difficult to make this happen I believe.

btw, Nets just dealt Vince Carter (and Ryan Anderson) .. wow! Cant say Im shocked.. tons of rumors he would be traded at the deadline but the Nets held onto him and trade him during the offseason... and they did just that

Edited by nmigliore

Well I think moving to Newark would be easier.. I dunno if it would make a noticeable change in attendance though (well for one the Rock only holds like 17K+ right?).. They would probably still at ~15k per game like they have been in recent years, but the arena would be more filled and look less empty and saddening like it does at the Izod Center.

17+K for hockey can be up to 19 or 20 for basketball, though.

Side note: Vince Carter's been traded to Orlando, apparently. All three of the "big 3" gone within 15 months. Well done, Nets. Well done.

Edited by thelastonealive

I would guess that the fans who have left the Nets in the midst of this whole mess are more upset with the ownership than the team itself. Maybe if ownership changed and the attitude toward staying in Jersey changed along with it, fans would come back?

17+K for hockey can be up to 19 or 20 for basketball, though.

Side note: Vince Carter's been traded to Orlando, apparently. All three of the "big 3" gone within 15 months. Well done, Nets. Well done.

well they are clearly preparing for 2010... lol they weren't going anywhere next year to be honest.. they picked up some guys with expiring contracts that supposedly should clear up to 12 million dollars in cap space for 2010, wow! Nice.. it was inevitable to deal Carter, Im glad they finally did... it still sucks to he him go though because I really liked him.

Courtney Lee is a nice young player to get in return.. Battie/Alston are the contract guys that expire after this season freeing up good cap room

Edited by nmigliore

well they are clearly preparing for 2010... lol they weren't going anywhere next year to be honest.. they picked up some guys with expiring contracts that supposedly should clear up to 12 million dollars in cap space for 2010, wow! Nice.. it was inevitable to deal Carter, Im glad they finally did... it still sucks to he him go though because I really liked him.

Courtney Lee is a nice young player to get in return.. Battie/Alston are the contract guys that expire after this season freeing up good cap room

Good points...I saw the news on ESPN and all I could think of was the past and the fact that no one I cared for came back this way.

Of course, knowing the Nets, they're not gonna be in Brooklyn next year, and the LeBron James' and Dwayne Wades of the world won't want to play for a team in limbo at the Meadowlands. Let's face it, if you can play for the Nets or the Knicks (who'll also be in great salary cap shape for the 2010 FA period), they're gonna pick the Knicks unless the Nets are in Brooklyn or MAYBE Newark. Only maybe, though.

Hope they can throw enough money at someone next year to attract them to East Rutherford or Kansas City.

Good points...I saw the news on ESPN and all I could think of was the past and the fact that no one I cared for came back this way.

Of course, knowing the Nets, they're not gonna be in Brooklyn next year, and the LeBron James' and Dwayne Wades of the world won't want to play for a team in limbo at the Meadowlands. Let's face it, if you can play for the Nets or the Knicks (who'll also be in great salary cap shape for the 2010 FA period), they're gonna pick the Knicks unless the Nets are in Brooklyn or MAYBE Newark. Only maybe, though.

Hope they can throw enough money at someone next year to attract them to East Rutherford or Kansas City.

wow, imagine Lebron and Wade going to each NY franchise (ie: Lebron to Knicks, Wade to Brooklyn)??

chaotic.

I would guess that the fans who have left the Nets in the midst of this whole mess are more upset with the ownership than the team itself. Maybe if ownership changed and the attitude toward staying in Jersey changed along with it, fans would come back?

That would be my guess too.

Plus, if they ever do move to the Rock, it might attract some new fans from the surrounding counties who would look forward to an easier trip getting to the arena -- much like what's happened with the Devils.

Edited by 95Crash

I never considered myself a "die-hard" fan of the Nets like I do with the Devils and Yankees, but I stopped being a casual fan during this entire mess. However, if the Nets get an owner that decides to keep them in NJ and show some pride in NJ I will definitely become a fan again and watch as many games as possible that don't interfere with the Devils. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way I do.

I never considered myself a "die-hard" fan of the Nets like I do with the Devils and Yankees, but I stopped being a casual fan during this entire mess. However, if the Nets get an owner that decides to keep them in NJ and show some pride in NJ I will definitely become a fan again and watch as many games as possible that don't interfere with the Devils. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way I do.

same

So you lose your fan favorite and lockeroom leader, a future hall-of-famer who lead your team to back the back finals, and one of the most athletic forwards in the game within less than a year and a half. A hat trick. Nice job Thorn. And who are these free agents that are going to come here? Mgt doesn't give a damn about competing, so what's the point?