Post Lockout Trades/Signings Thread

Triumph

I didn't want to start a whole thread about this, but what about trading Volchenkhov to the Rangers? (I know it'll never happen, but a full day until the next game).

He might waive his NTC if he doesn't have to move his family, and the Rags need another NHL defenseman in the worst way. It doesn't hurt that he's a shot locker. JT Miller or Brian Boyle in return?

The Rangers can't commit any money long-term to dicey propositions like Anton Volchenkov. They are a young cheap team with 4 giant contracts (Lundqvist, Gaborik, Nash, Richards). But they will be neither young nor cheap pretty soon. I guess your idea is that they would amnesty buy him out at the end of the season but there are far superior options to spending $10 million for a half season of Anton Volchenkov. Sure would be a Tortorella favorite though, huh?

The Rangers can't commit any money long-term to dicey propositions like Anton Volchenkov. They are a young cheap team with 4 giant contracts (Lundqvist, Gaborik, Nash, Richards). But they will be neither young nor cheap pretty soon. I guess your idea is that they would amnesty buy him out at the end of the season but there are far superior options to spending $10 million for a half season of Anton Volchenkov. Sure would be a Tortorella favorite though, huh?

I lol'd at this.

They could amnesty Gaborik, next year is the last year of his deal anyway. That might happen anyway, if he ends up with something like 15 goals, or if the Rangers powerplay does not bust out this year like it's supposed to with him on it. Even with him though, they're not in cap hell next year, especially since they could amnesty two players in the 1.5 to 2.5 million range, like Rupp, Piatt or Strahlman.

Volchenkov's deal is not an albatross right now. After this year, it's three years with a $4.5 million cap hit for player that's 30 right now, which is not that bad.

If it weren't the Rangers, it wouldn't be that implausible. The absence of legitimate third-pairing defensemen could rear its ugly head in a few weeks to the extent it hasn't already. Torts more or less admitted that Stu Bickel is not an NHL defenseman. There's a first time for everything.

They could amnesty Gaborik, next year is the last year of his deal anyway. That might happen anyway, if he ends up with something like 15 goals, or if the Rangers powerplay does not bust out this year like it's supposed to with him on it. Even with him though, they're not in cap hell next year, especially since they could amnesty two players in the 1.5 to 2.5 million range, like Rupp, Piatt or Strahlman.

The Rangers already used one of their amnesty buyouts on Redden, they only have one left.

Volchenkov's deal is not an albatross right now. After this year, it's three years with a $4.5 million cap hit for player that's 30 right now, which is not that bad.

It's pretty bad. Volchenkov is still a capable defender but the Devils don't use him the way I thought they would. Salvador has somehow taken his role. If he were on a team with more cap issues his buyout would be discussed ad nauseam here. But yeah he's out of the top 4 D, and there's 3 more years left on his deal. It could get very ugly. I imagine it may be bought out after next season.

If it weren't the Rangers, it wouldn't be that implausible. The absence of legitimate third-pairing defensemen could rear its ugly head in a few weeks to the extent it hasn't already. Torts more or less admitted that Stu Bickel is not an NHL defenseman. There's a first time for everything.

The Rangers don't care. They played Bickel last year. They are, for some reason, perfectly content to go with 5 defensemen. They traded Erixon during the off-season and ditched Redden this year. They just assume that there won't be any injuries.

Here's the thing with trading Volchenkov.

He does have a NTC which I'm betting he'd be selective with (yes, I'm sure he'd go to the Rangers) but you're not going to trade for him just to buy him out at the end of the year unless you're dealing another contract and the Devils aren't buying in that situation. While the Devils really need a D for an F swap within the next month, and everyone thinks AV is likely the 6th or 7th best defenseman on the team (fan wise i mean), he provides a different game than any of the other defensemen (well maybe the same as Sal).

As Triumph previously pointed out, he was the anchor of the best PK in history last year. He is positionally solid, hits better than anyone on the team and plays well in the D zone.

I'm open to a deal for him and especially because his contract, while not terrible, is the least favorable of the Devils D contracts (but that's because they're all pretty good to begin with).

I still see Detroit as a possible trade partner. They were up 2-0 on the Blue Jackets now they're down 3-2. I wouldn't mind having Mikael Samuelsson on on our roster. And don't talk to me about his NTC. Daniel is talking about Volch waiving his NTC.

Meh. Samuelsson is like 80. I'd want at least a second too if we're giving up Greene or Tallinder for him

Edited by SMantzas

The Rangers already used one of their amnesty buyouts on Redden, they only have one left.

It's pretty bad. Volchenkov is still a capable defender but the Devils don't use him the way I thought they would. Salvador has somehow taken his role. If he were on a team with more cap issues his buyout would be discussed ad nauseam here. But yeah he's out of the top 4 D, and there's 3 more years left on his deal. It could get very ugly. I imagine it may be bought out after next season.

The Rangers don't care. They played Bickel last year. They are, for some reason, perfectly content to go with 5 defensemen. They traded Erixon during the off-season and ditched Redden this year. They just assume that there won't be any injuries.

Completely forgot about Redden.

Instead of the Rangers being "content" with five defensemen (it's really four, since Strahlman is a poor man's Kurtis Foster if that's possible), it's more precise to say that they were willing to roll the dice. Re Erixon, they were obsessed with getting their superstar without having to trade Kreider -- their supposed next superstar. By process of elimination that required Erixson to be part of the deal since McIlrath is a complete joke of a prospect. If their third pairing continues to get torched even in the 7 to 10 minutes of ice time it gets in the next six weeks, we'll see how content they really are.

Carp, he'd more plausibly waive his NTC to go to a team where he wouldn't have to move his family.

Completely forgot about Redden.

Instead of the Rangers being "content" with five defensemen (it's really four, since Strahlman is a poor man's Kurtis Foster if that's possible), it's more precise to say that they were willing to roll the dice. Re Erixon, they were obsessed with getting their superstar without having to trade Kreider -- their supposed next superstar. By process of elimination that required Erixson to be part of the deal since McIlrath is a complete joke of a prospect. If their third pairing continues to get torched even in the 7 to 10 minutes of ice time it gets in the next six weeks, we'll see how content they really are.

Carp, he'd more plausibly waive his NTC to go to a team where he wouldn't have to move his family.

More like three. Del Zotto is pretty damn bad too (but at least they play him like 16 mins a night). Staal, Girardi and McDonagh are the only three I'd feel comfortable with out there if I was a Rags fan. I think Erixon being included in the Nash deal is gonna make a bigger difference than some think. It's not that I think he's gonna be a top pairing dman, but he'd certainly crack the Rags top 6.

Yes, Columbus has a better D corps than the Rags

Stralman is much better than Kurtis Foster. I forgot they signed Eminger, while I think Eminger is bad at least he's a body. I legitimately thought they had 7 guys and then that was it because they don't really have any prospects.

But Bickel played all the Rangers playoff games. Or at least most of them. They like going with 5 guys. I think it's extremely risky but Tortorella rides his players hard - and hey NJ did the same with their forwards last year and it worked out.

from that french website

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/halak-pas-dans-son-assiette-lourde-perte-pour-les-kings-le-ch-doit-amasser/

there's rumours about Perry playing in the north-east division and that he'd likely test the market this summer while Getzlaf will probably re-sign. But he wouldnt want to play in MTL as he would like to play in an english city.

Newark is not THAT far right ? and we certainly have the money to bring him.

Stralman is much better than Kurtis Foster. I forgot they signed Eminger, while I think Eminger is bad at least he's a body. I legitimately thought they had 7 guys and then that was it because they don't really have any prospects.

But Bickel played all the Rangers playoff games. Or at least most of them. They like going with 5 guys. I think it's extremely risky but Tortorella rides his players hard - and hey NJ did the same with their forwards last year and it worked out.

Wasn't Stu Bickel and whoever they paired him with getting about 7 minutes of ice time during the playoffs, if that?

What do you mean about the Devils riding their forwards hard? Maybe during the regular season, but obviously there was a lot of production from the fourth line in the playoffs, who saw a lot of ice time. We all know that the Devils would not have gone very far without them performing, and getting the ice time they did. Kovalchuk gets a lot of ice time for a forward, but that's in large part because he's physical freak of nature with that Ivan Drago like work out regimen during the off season.

And Kurtis Foster managed to get decent minutes on a deeper team, and didn't get cut from the Devils. (Transitive logic I know, but there you have it).

Obviously, it's only two games into the season. But their lack of blue line depth showed during the playoffs last year. If it continues into the next ten or fifteen games, Ranger fans, Sather and Dolan will again return to "do something" mode. This off season, it was a perceived lack of offense, which resulted in them giving up a lot for Nash. They might give up a lot to plug up another perceived weakness once again.

Wasn't Stu Bickel and whoever they paired him with getting about 7 minutes of ice time during the playoffs, if that?

They were going with 5 defensemen and would rotate people in. Stralman got closer to 15 minutes of ice time a game.

What do you mean about the Devils riding their forwards hard? Maybe during the regular season, but obviously there was a lot of production from the fourth line in the playoffs, who saw a lot of ice time. We all know that the Devils would not have gone very far without them performing, and getting the ice time they did. Kovalchuk gets a lot of ice time for a forward, but that's in large part because he's physical freak of nature with that Ivan Drago like work out regimen during the off season.

The Devils basically rode 7 forwards last year until they got Ponikarovsky and Josefson came back from injury.

And Kurtis Foster managed to get decent minutes on a deeper team, and didn't get cut from the Devils. (Transitive logic I know, but there you have it).

Foster is much worse than Anton Stralman. The Devils thought Larsson could handle the power play, he couldn't, so they got Foster. Foster is better on the PP than Stralman but is a liability at even strength.

Obviously, it's only two games into the season. But their lack of blue line depth showed during the playoffs last year. If it continues into the next ten or fifteen games, Ranger fans, Sather and Dolan will again return to "do something" mode. This off season, it was a perceived lack of offense, which resulted in them giving up a lot for Nash. They might give up a lot to plug up another perceived weakness once again.

Sure, but if it happens, it will be for an expiring contract, of which there are plenty around the league.

Sterio: getting Perry would be horrible.

They were going with 5 defensemen and would rotate people in. Stralman got closer to 15 minutes of ice time a game.

The Devils basically rode 7 forwards last year until they got Ponikarovsky and Josefson came back from injury.

Stralman got powerplay time, so he's a bit of an anomoly. I also think that you're overstating his minutes in the playoffs, although I don't have the inclination to check.

And what do you know, the Devils were a bit more than an average team until they got Poni and Josefson came back, and even then, the playoff run would not have happened without a dependable fourth line.

Stralman got powerplay time, so he's a bit of an anomoly. I also think that you're overstating his minutes in the playoffs, although I don't have the inclination to check.

And what do you know, the Devils were a bit more than an average team until they got Poni and Josefson came back, and even then, the playoff run would not have happened without a dependable fourth line.

He played 17 minutes a game.

My point was that the Devils were a high-wire act until they got a 3rd line. Kovalchuk was out a few games but other than that the core stayed healthy.