BEER

TrentonDevils

Amazing!....... I have been a daily visitor to NJDevs.com for years and only read the "Hell" section, and occasionally the "The Rock" board. Well, after reading the latest post on our current losing streak, I decided to do a little surfing of the site and found this thread on my all time favorite subject. First, a little about myself. I am from Richmond, VA and have been a Devils fan since since theY were the Colorado Rockies( Denver Broncos fan here). So, living in Virginia, I just want to  let you guys know first off, I didn't just jump onto the Devils bandwagon. How many KC Scouts fans are still around?  I read the site daily, but seldom post as you might have noticed by the number of post I have made. 

It took me about 3 hours to read through the 30 + pages on this thread. It is interesting how, just like in politics, how many opinions there are on beer brands. Yes, indeed, Opinions are like a-holes.....everyone has them !

I have been drinking beer since I was brave enough to sneak it out of the refrigerator, brewed my own beer back in the late '70's as a teenager, been collecting beer cans since I was 12, Collecting "breweriana" since I was in my early 20's, Been in the beer business, since I was 21( I'm almost 49). I am a member of the American Breweriana Association, and I am very much into the history aspect of the brewing industry. 

None of the above makes me an expert on beer, beer styles, or what makes a great beer. With that being said, I find it almost hilarious how someone who drinks Heineken, Stella Artois, or Budweiser thinks they know beer !  

In no particular order, here are some random thoughts that I jotted down while reading through this awesome thread......

1. "devilsfan26" know his stuff and I agree with ALMOST everything you have said concerning the beer business in general. If we ever meet, I think we could spend hours discussing the "biz".

2. Support your local brewery. Unless it is the local Anheuser-Busch InBev plant. 

3. Just because it sells for $9 to $10 a 6-pack, does not make it a good beer ( i.e. Corona Light )

4. I think Blue Moon Belgian White is the nastiest liquid ever put into a beer bottle, but a lot of people absolutely love it. I actually like the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale.

5. Be thankful for the Blue Moons and Lienenkugels of the world. Even thought the are owned by the "Big 3", they are gateway craft beers for many that leads to people trying out the local and regional craft beers eventually. 

6. Just because it is sold cheap, doesn't make it a bad beer. This subject gets me riled up quick as my favorite all time beer is Carling Black Label .

7. If craft beers are overpowering to you and light beer leaves you wanting more. Yuengling has a style for every taste and all their beers are done very well. 

8.  How many of you know that Newark has a ton of history of brewing beer? Ballantine, Krueger, & Pabst were huge there "back in the day"

9. All of the above were pretty much put out of business by the mass-marketing tactics of the evil empire Anhueser-Busch

10. When doing beer tastings, always go from lighter styles to heavier styles. Never start out with an IPA then wonder why the stout or pilsener you followed with taste like dirty ass. Eat a piece of bread or light cracker between beer sampling's. 

11. My second favorite beer is Sam Adams Octoberfest.

12. I support the 2nd. Amendment,but also support stricter gun laws,  However, people who support A-B or drink Budweiser and Bud Light should be shot on site!

13. Yes, the "Corzman 69" does indeed refer to Coors.(don't shoot !) I love Coors Banquet, but at 5% abv, I can't pound em like I used to!

14. Flyers suck!

15. If you didn't already know, Goose island is also owned by A-B. So is Rolling Rock.

16. I have my own beer website. It is devoted to Carling Black Label, but don't let that stop you for visiting and checking it out. www.heymabelblacklabel.com

I even have a link to NJDevs on there!

17. If I absolutely have to drink a "light beer" It is usually a Miller Lite. Again, DON'T SHOOT!

18. If you made it this far, I'm impressed, pour yourself a beer !

19. If the Devils don't start playing like we all know they are capable of, it might drive me to drinkin'

20. I start way too many sentences with "if"....sorry!

21. Friends don't let friends drink Budweiser.

22. I sell many but not all beers from all the major breweries,a-b inbev, millercoors, Sam, Yuengling, etc. but I am still open minded enough to say I'll take a PBR over a Heineken any day. I don't care how much it costs or who brews it. 

23. Lets Go Devils!!!!

24. Again, please visit my website and have a great day!

• Like 2

Welcome to the beer thread!

My cousin and I went into a long discussion after he brought over some Goose Island thinking he found some new gem. I knew it was AB but we eventually came to the same conclusion as you, it is like a gateway drug into craft beers.

Yuengling black and tan is still my social beer of choice and it is the cheapest beer on the shelf!

• Like 1

Yuengling is a beer I have a little bit of mixed feelings with. I do enjoy the taste and they have a nice variety but I do not like the fact that they use corn as a adjunct for their flagship beer.

I will usually have it every so often and think it is a solid beer. It also tends to be palatable to keep the more knowledgeable beer people as well as the bud/coors crowd happy while not breaking the bank.

Oh I also forgot to put here that either this week or next week that Flounder Brewing will be starting their very first commercial batch! According to their Facebook it should be available sometime in late may I I remember right. I also believe they will have the beer available to take home via growlers and they will be having tastings at their brewery in hillsborough, nj.

Their ultimate goal is to bottle it and make it available to local liquor stores as well as having it on tap at local bars.

I'm pumped. My family's going on vacation in Traverse City, MI this summer, just on time for the Michigan Beer Festival there. I love me some Michigan breweries.

Yuengling is a beer I have a little bit of mixed feelings with. I do enjoy the taste and they have a nice variety but I do not like the fact that they use corn as a adjunct for their flagship beer.

I will usually have it every so often and think it is a solid beer. It also tends to be palatable to keep the more knowledgeable beer people as well as the bud/coors crowd happy while not breaking the bank.

Hard to make a lager without adjuncts. Corn or rice, doesn't make much of a difference which is used. You can't taste the corn or the rice in the finished product either way. My fondness for Yuengling lies in the fact that is still an American,family owned brewery that limits their distribution (14 states). I"m looking forward to trying the Yuengling Bock that just came out.

Hard to make a lager without adjuncts. Corn or rice, doesn't make much of a difference which is used. You can't taste the corn or the rice in the finished product either way. My fondness for Yuengling lies in the fact that is still an American,family owned brewery that limits their distribution (14 states). I"m looking forward to trying the Yuengling Bock that just came out.

True but in Germany they have no issues making lagers without adding corn or rice and following the purity law to the T. I'm German and adding any adjuncts to lagers is practically a sin lol. I will give yuengling a pass though.

Had a growler of Yards Spruce Ale - that was nice.

also had Lagunita WilcoTangoFoxtrot it was quite hoppy.  I liked the Yards better.

I'm a fan of the growler these days.  I might get over it, but I really like the texture better than bottled or canned.

Have to say I have never liked any Barley Wine I have tried.  I guess not my kind of beer.

I agree - it always seems like it should be good too...  :(

Almost grabbed the Weyerbacher Insanity this weekend but opted for the Simcoe Double IPA instead. It was very good, recommended.  It is unfiltered though so don't get scared by any sediment you may see ;)

Also had a 750ml of Dogfish 75 Minute IPA which is one of my favorite beers ever and a 6 of Treogs Nugget Nectar, another winner I love picking up.  Great weekend for beer!

Nugget Nectar is good stuff.  I had 75 minute once and thought it was better than all their other IPAs.  I heard the maple flavor really comes to the forefront after about six months of aging, so I'm holding on to the one I have now until the end of the summer to see how it tastes then.

Nugget Nectar is good stuff.  I had 75 minute once and thought it was better than all their other IPAs.  I heard the maple flavor really comes to the forefront after about six months of aging, so I'm holding on to the one I have now until the end of the summer to see how it tastes then.

I think I need to run down to Canals to grab another one for storage! Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear the Sam Adam IPL is good stuff.  Seen alot of it in the local bodega, so I'll have to pick it up.  I'm also an outside fan of Yuengling.  Like many have said, it's a perfectly tasty bridge beer that everybody at the party can enjoy.  Their Black and Tan is actually quite good.  Much better than the Buds and Coors Lights that make up most "red solo cup soiree's".

And I agree with corzman, PBR is just fine if you have low funds and a high thirst, especially when it's $3 a pint at your after hockey bar.

Had a growler of Yards Spruce Ale - that was nice.

also had Lagunita WilcoTangoFoxtrot it was quite hoppy.  I liked the Yards better.

I'm a fan of the growler these days.  I might get over it, but I really like the texture better than bottled or canned.

I agree - it always seems like it should be good too...  :(

I like the spruce ale as well, we have made it a tradition at the family holiday parties now too.

Good call on the IPL Devsman, picked some up tonight when I couldn't find any 21st amendment in stock. Very tasty without being obnoxious hoppy.

• 2 weeks later...

A growler of River Horse Smokey Scotch Ale... mighty fine.  Sad to say I just kind of drank it -- I didn't consider the smoke or anything -- I thought it was slightly syrupy at first, but very good. And I drank it, Oh but did I...  a goblet and 1/2 and I was a little lit :blush:  My sister had 2 pints and then started making her own Manhattans I didn't check in with her the next morning. The guys were a little mortified with us - I think we chugged it by accident.

I don't know how many people on this board like Saranac (or have it available to them, I'm in Upstate NY), but I'm not a huge Saranac fan but their Adirondack Lager is quickly becoming one of my favorite beers. Great blend of that crisp Lager feeling with some light malts to complement.