2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/34624/rapid-reaction-rex-gets-security

Ryan is now under contract for at least three seasons, through 2016. (with the extension technically expiring in January 2017) Ah, but this wasn't a typical contract extension. As Schefter reported, the deal is based heavily on incentives. This smacks of a compromise. Initially, the Jets wanted to offer only a one-year extension. Ryan wanted more than a year. This contract is the best of both worlds. Here's how: If Ryan wins in the postseason in either 2014 and/or 2015, he cashes in for 2016. In essence, he's betting on himself. He can enjoy the benefits of having adding an additional season as security. If Ryan doesn't win a playoff game before the 2016 season, the Jets can opt-out of the deal.

..bottomline, Rex ain't going ANYWHERE! :beerbang:  :rock:

That's actually a pretty inventive compromise. You can't not root for Rex.

..yeah, Rex get's two cracks at this imo. Next season, and the season afterward. --but the way Woody loves him, I can even see them letting him "lame-duck" coach his final season in 2016.. and then just choose not to re-up him, as oppose to firing him. Which, if that's the case (even if he never wins a Superbowl) how can you not consider him the best Jets Head Coach of all-time?? 2009-2017 :noclue:  ..with probably more wins at that point than any other HC in franchise history?

..it's a shame, because I really thought Kellen Winslow could've resurrected his career with the Jets. But his behavior off the field will prove to be career ending.

Edited by Beezer34

..yeah, Rex get's two cracks at this imo. Next season, and the season afterward. --but the way Woody loves him, I can even see them letting him "lame-duck" coach his final season in 2016.. and then just choose not to re-up him, as oppose to firing him. Which, if that's the case (even if he never wins a Superbowl) how can you not consider him the best Jets Head Coach of all-time?? 2009-2017 :noclue:  ..with probably more wins at that point than any other HC in franchise history?

..it's a shame, because I really thought Kellen Winslow could've resurrected his career with the Jets. But his behavior off the field will prove to be career ending.

Winslow was a joke on the Jets.  Had maybe one game this year.     There is a reason every other team has past on him the past several seasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Winslow was a joke on the Jets.  Had maybe one game this year.     There is a reason every other team has past on him the past several seasons.

the jets took him on knowing he was a headcase. When he was on the field though, he played fine. Overall they got 62 catches out of their tight ends this year which wasn't bad

Vick only as a last resort backup. Obviously I'm not thrilled with his background, and he can't stay healthy...nor is he all that young anymore.

and emphatic YES to Maclin. I love his versatility. He can be the deep man, he can be the underneath guy, he can be the fearless go over the middle guy. Maclin fits in all offenses.

I was never impressed with Emmanuel Sanders. Wouldn't hate the signing but he only meh.

• 1 month later...

Saw a report that your interested in Hitner. Great leader for a secondary, hope he stays with the bay, but if not good luck!

I think I'd rather have Byrd, but wouldn't be upset with Whitner. Doesn't he have a bit of a track record with delivering hits that draw 15 yarders?

nonetheless he is a solid pro bowl player and consistently ranked among the top 10 safeties in the league.

Edited by '7'

Jets have also been linked to Emmanuel Sanders. He really doesn't strike me as someone with star/gamebreaking ability. Last season he caught 67 for 740 and a respectable 6tds. Basically seems like a pedestrian 2/3 type receiver

His hits are clean, never once a fine. Refs automatically know his name as hitner and call him on clean hits. That's the issue their. He wants money, as will be the reason San Fran doesn't sign him.

I think I'd rather have Byrd, but wouldn't be upset with Whitner. Doesn't he have a bit of a track record with delivering hits that draw 15 yarders?

nonetheless he is a solid pro bowl player and consistently ranked among the top 10 safeties in the league.

Yea. I think Vick is adamant about being a starter and the Jets weren't so keen on the idea. McCown would be a better fit. He's a clear backup but can also spark a team as a starter in a pinch

Decker is supposed to be in town today. This one they can't let slip through their fingers.

I actually think that Vick\Jets will happen. Both sides seem to be posturing right now.

I would FLIP if we landed Decker. 2,300 yrds.. 24 TD's over the last 2 seasons. Granted it was with Manning throwing to him, but I'd still take him over old-man Holmes, regardless who's throwing the ball. He's played all 48 regular season games since 2011, so the guy never gets injured.. and at 26 years old, he still has alot of mileage left in him. SIGN THIS BEAST!

I didn't actually think he'd take one year, he must really want to stick it to us.

yea, that has something to do with it. I mean he's not the 09 and 10 Revis anymore, but he's still a great football player, and he still will get mega dollars after this season. This doesn't seem like a typical NE move since they're pretty much up to the cap and can't afford anything else (there receiving corps and the rest of the secondary need a lot of help), but they want to stick it to us as much as Revis so it's a match made in heaven

Trouble is the Jets haven't addressed anything except that OT from Seattle they just signed...which is more of a lateral move with the loss of Austin Howard. I keep hearing Decker, Jones, MJD. Nothing gets done

Edited by '7'

yea, that has something to do with it. I mean he's not the 09 and 10 Revis anymore, but he's still a great football player, and he still will get mega dollars after this season. This doesn't seem like a typical NE move since they're pretty much up to the cap and can't afford anything else (there receiving corps and the rest of the secondary need a lot of help), but they want to stick it to us as much as Revis so it's a match made in heaven

Trouble is the Jets haven't addressed anything except that OT from Seattle they just signed...which is more of a lateral move with the loss of Austin Howard. I keep hearing Decker, Jones, MJD. Nothing gets done

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least.  I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.

Jones already signed with Baltimore

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least. I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.