Devils Midseason Report Card: Team in midst of misery

Rock

Is there any PROOF that VBK was trying to sell the team to him? Or just internet rumors?

Just two NHL sources.

"Some of Vanderbeek’s fellow owners believe he is looking to sell the franchise, according to NHL sources. Both sources said Vanderbeek made a strong pitch last summer to Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, who owns the New Jersey Nets of the NBA. Re-signing Kovalchuk, a Russian, was core to the pitch."

Considering the trade came only a week after VBK finalized the negotiations with Prokhorov for the NETS move to the Rock makes sense to me.

That and the fact, that Lou is too smart to ever consider this move from a hockey standpoint.

I can recall two games we've won this season because of Kovy.

Against which back-up goalie??

Just two NHL sources.

"Some of Vanderbeek’s fellow owners believe he is looking to sell the franchise, according to NHL sources. Both sources said Vanderbeek made a strong pitch last summer to Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov, who owns the New Jersey Nets of the NBA. Re-signing Kovalchuk, a Russian, was core to the pitch."

Considering the trade came only a week after VBK finalized the negotiations with Prokhorov for the NETS move to the Rock makes sense to me.

That and the fact, that Lou is too smart to ever consider this move from a hockey standpoint.

Against which back-up goalie??

Devin Dubnyk and Ryan Miller.

That's not good enough.

But I was talking about him being a part of team success, anyway.

Not good enough? We've only won 11 games!

Seriously, Dude, you've been on this day in and day out for a year. You're posts are boardering on complete irrelevance. Pick a new topic, change the record, clean out your drawers.

I used to enjoy your posts. However, I've noticed the only time you post is when you see an opprtunity to bash the whole Kovy thing.

Edited by CarpathianForest

See portion about JL losing team and causing "skid".

Ah, but did JL cause it or had it been fomenting for years. If you want to trade in speculation as the below quote shows you already are, I think that the skid was caused by a locker room revolt that had been brewing for a very long time. I think it had already started with Claude Julien, subsided to a degree with Sutter (although there were lots of bike rides to make certain of that), and finally exploded into full-scale revolt with Lemaire. I don't think the locker room being lost had anything to do with the coaching staff (although Johnny Mac was certainly not the guy to bring it back under control).

From my standpoint the Kovy acquisition had more to do with JVBK trying to sell the team to the Nets Russian owner than to improving the Devils.

You are free to speculate on the reasoning as much as you want obviously, but I'm of the opinion that it had more to do with Marty Brodeur's imminent retirement and the need for a marquis star.

The following makes more sense than Manta's theory of getting Kovy to sell the team to a Russian billionaire:

Oh, look! The Caps and Penguins are getting more butts in the seats because of Crosby and Ovechkin. I noticed this new, exciting NHL cottons more to offense. Brodeur is getting old and will retire soon. I need to make a big move. Get a big time offensive dynamo to put New Jersey on the map for this new era. I need to get butts in seats and bring in revenue. This guy Kovalchuk's contract is almost up. He's pretty exciting, let's sign him!

Not good enough? We've only won 11 games!

You're trying too hard. LOL!

He's been a bomb so far. Some guy named Cal Clutterbuck has more goals.

Don't you Kovy haters have anything better to do with your time? He's on the team for the next 10 years give or take. Fvcking deal with it.

Yeah, I think we are dealing with it ... by bashing him. It makes me feel better. :D

The anti-kovy lovefest between Jerry and Manta is bordering nauseating, but hysterical at the same time.

Here's an idea, how about you two whine to each other in a private message, rather than turning every, single thread into a "Kovy ruined this team because I said so" discussion.

You two are broken records, and I'm sorry your lives are so insignificant that you need to go on a forum and constantly, but not-so-subtly, gloat "I told you so".

...oops, I made it personal :noclue:

Ah, but did JL cause it or had it been fomenting for years. If you want to trade in speculation as the below quote shows you already are, I think that the skid was caused by a locker room revolt that had been brewing for a very long time. I think it had already started with Claude Julien, subsided to a degree with Sutter (although there were lots of bike rides to make certain of that), and finally exploded into full-scale revolt with Lemaire. I don't think the locker room being lost had anything to do with the coaching staff (although Johnny Mac was certainly not the guy to bring it back under control).

You are free to speculate on the reasoning as much as you want obviously, but I'm of the opinion that it had more to do with Marty Brodeur's imminent retirement and the need for a marquis star.

Marquis star?? What was Parise?

What would be refreshing is Kovalchuk becoming one of the reasons why the Devils win instead of one of the reasons why they don't.

He has three game-winning goals (two in overtime) and a shootout clincher. That's the final word on four of this team's 11 wins.

I'd say he's a reason for a large chunk of the few wins we have.

The anti-kovy lovefest between Jerry and Manta is bordering nauseating, but hysterical at the same time.

Here's an idea, how about you two whine to each other in a private message, rather than turning every, single thread into a "Kovy ruined this team because I said so" discussion.

You two are broken records, and I'm sorry your lives are so insignificant that you need to go on a forum and constantly, but not-so-subtly, gloat "I told you so".

...oops, I made it personal :noclue:

LOL. It's hysterical and insignificant yet, the homers always feel the need to rationalize defeat in their responses to the "hysterical and insignificant".

He has three game-winning goals (two in overtime) and a shootout clincher. That's the final word on four of this team's 11 wins.

I'd say he's a reason for a large chunk of the few wins we have.

uh-oh, your offending those in denial.

Marquis star?? What was Parise?

Well for one thing, heading into negotiations with Parise with him holding over your head that he is the be all and end all of your team's marketing doesn't seem too terribly fiscally sound especially given the fact that we'd been losing our marquis players left and right for five years at that point.

One of the things I admire most about LL is that we don't go through the "Boom & Bust cycle". We were better than that.

Bullsh!t

NO TEAM is "above" bottoming out

This one was coming.... it finally hit

the Red Wings avoided it by getting some serious hall of fame gems in the late rounds of a few drafts... you name me anotherr franchise in SPORTS that doesn't bottom out (and the Red Wings will bottom out too.... one day :P )

Bullsh!t

NO TEAM is "above" bottoming out

This one was coming.... it finally hit

the Red Wings avoided it by getting some serious hall of fame gems in the late rounds of a few drafts... you name me anotherr franchise in SPORTS that doesn't bottom out (and the Red Wings will bottom out too.... one day :P )

The Yankees are pretty much above bottoming out.. The thing is, they can afford to buy better teams because there is no hard cap and they don't mind the luxury tax.. This is why I like the cap, because it evens things out.. Otherwise, the Leafs would be the NHL Yankees

do we need to list off the other embarrassments? tallinder, greene, rolston, clarkson until last week, zubrus probably, and most of all brodeur? nah. it's kovalchuk.

There's an inclination by some to cut him a break because the whole team is terrible, but there is only one player who signed a $100 million deal (and took two months to do it), who the Devils have surrendered assets and picks to get in addition to the money. I hold him to a higher standard. It's fair. He cost a lot to get, and he's been such a disappointment. He's not even exciting. He's sometimes invisible.

Sorry, I'm not gonna pick on Brodeur similarly. He's built up a lot of equity here. Kovalchuk is the new stiff in town. He gets no slack.