Isles to Officially Move to Brooklyn

njdevil26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can't located a quote at the moment... but I know the Nets/Barclays ownership had pretty much formally invited them and said that they would try to increase the capacity with easy renovations.

Well ok then, good for them. Fanbase should be mostly positive over this.

I guess Wang really liked the tour of the arena he took this summer and had enough of dealing with the political aspect of getting a new arena on the island. Hopefully the renovations to the Barclays Center to make it suitable for hockey work. I wonder if they are going to change their name to Brooklyn or if they will keep the New York?

Just read it on newsdaily.com I used to catch several games at the Coliseum when Devils played the Islanders. It is about a 30 minute drive from my house. But the parking is bad, the bathrooms suck and it is a general nightmare. It will now be a train ride to Brooklyn and a walk across the street. That is if I ever get hockey again

Well, I hope the fact that they won't let them change the name means it'll be harder for them to poach Devils fans (Rangers fans, too, but who cares about that). They won't be looked at as something cool and new like they would if they changed to the Brooklyn Americans or something like that.

They don't need to change the name. It's still Long Island technically

Anyway...good and necessary move for the franchise. Not sure if this will be permanent though...is Wang still hanging on to his renovating the coliseum dream. He may move the Isles to Barclays for 5-6 years and try to get the Coliseum project done in that time.

Great for Devils fans. We can get to Devs/Isles games by train now.

Isles fans have to be happy...it was either this or out of state

Edited by '7'

Once the arena referendum got voted down on Long Island, it was either move to Brooklyn or leave the area altogether. They couldn't stay at the Coliseum any longer. Hopefully it works out for them, but having only 14,000 seats for hockey and obstructed views in a building where they are only a tenant can end up being just as bad for them as their current situation.

I mean, this was their only real option since Nassau refused to support them with the new arena. However, Barclays is currently the smallest arena in the NHL, and poorly configured for hockey. Now, they can reconfigure it, but I'd imagine that would cost a fortune to totally reconfigure a building thats just been completed. At what point is an arena too small for the big leagues. Its getting silly and will hurt potential league revenue. I also am a bit worried about the Islanders taking more popularity from this, and possibly stealing future Devils fans from NYC. In the short-term, this is great news for us fans who can now invade the Islanders rink like we did for that game back in March.

Is anyone surprised by this? I expected this to happen, it was just too easy for them to do.....

I was surprised initially, since the seating is limited with obstructed views. But now that I think of it, it's potentially gonna be a nice money maker for them. Fewer seats means you can charge more them, especially if you are attracting affluent NYC residents. Depends how much people really enjoy seeing games in that arena.

I'll believe it when I see them actually play a regular season there. Until then, this just strikes me as having "Another Crazy Charles Wang Ploy" written all over it.

It's a 25 year lease. What exactly would be ployish about this? The Islanders have failed to get any momentum going for an arena on Long Island.

I was surprised initially, since the seating is limited with obstructed views. But now that I think of it, it's potentially gonna be a nice money maker for them. Fewer seats means you can charge more them, especially if you are attracting affluent NYC residents. Depends how much people really enjoy seeing games in that arena.

I hear your point but 14,500 seats? Thats ridiculous. Why stop there. Why not build an 8,500 seat barn and charge an arm and a leg per seat.

And on a different point, I felt the Devils were making some inroads with fans in the NYC boundaries due to the Pru. The Isles in BK is more competition AND more $$ for the Nets and Jay-Z...ugh

Edited by devlman