Isles to Officially Move to Brooklyn

njdevil26

Good for the Isles, I'm happy for their fans that the franchise will be staying in the area. On the down side, I'd probably be upset if I was an Isles fan born and raised on the Island because that was THEIR team, just like the Devils are OUR team here in Jersey. It's bittersweet for them I'd imagine... But Brooklyn is a much better option than Kansas City, so I'd be pretty stoked- all things considered- if I was an Isles fan.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean I'm very happy for the Islander fans getting to basically keep their team..

But I will say this.. I still worry that in a few decades they'll decide that this area only needs 2 teams.. And I worry that if the islanders are solid by then (especially if they get some city sponsors), it could be the Devils on the chopping block.. I would have liked to have some of the Islanders fan base jump on board with us.. It's so far in the future but I want this team to be here long after I'm gone.. We still have a young fan base but my fear is one day becoming, well, the Islanders lol

Edited by Colin226

I mean I'm very happy for the Islander fans getting to basically keep their team..

But I will say this.. I still worry that in a few decades they'll decide that this area only needs 2 teams.. And I worry that if the islanders are solid by then (especially if they get some city sponsors), it could be the Devils on the chopping block.. I would have liked to have some of the Islanders fan base jump on board with us.. It's so far in the future but I want this team to be here long after I'm gone.. We still have a young fan base but my fear is one day becoming, well, the Islanders lol

It could potentially go the other way, with some synergy being built. Imagine if the proximity caused the Islanders to be about as big a rival to us as the Flyers and Rangers. Those dates, which are kind of "eh" right now on our schedule (comparable to when the Maple Leafs come to town), would be a big deal, top-tier-priced tickets event at The Rock. I don't see the Islanders crowding us out. The Devils continuing to draw good revenue is probably above all tied to the team's performance. I do see what you mean though that the NHL might work harder to keep the Devils in New Jersey if, at some future point where we needed saving, moving them meant being down to just one metro area team.

I think we're safe because of the lease and TV deal for a good while, but our real long-term viability will be determined by how our ownership situation turns out.

I wish Wang would just sell the team, he has made a laughing stock of a one-time Dynasty type of franchise.

Overall, great move for the team. Long Island is just not a media market.

It was a laughing stock long before Wang got there.

In any event, I think he gets too much flack. The guy has lost a ton of money doing everything he could to keep the Isles in Long Island. He could have made a killing selling the team to someone who wanted to relocate them.

He 's put a lot of his own money into it, and was actually going to use private money to do the lighthouse initially.

He's not like Vanderbeek who put a lot of other people's money on the line. Not every owner is lucky enough to inherit a GM like Lou.

If you've not seen Barclay's yet, its a really impressive building, in and out. I love this move for the Islanders from a Devils fan perspective, it makes it that much easier to see the team on the road. Its two short train rides for me to get to rather than a drive out to the pit of Nassau.

That seating chart is funny as hell, but it wont be like that once the Isles are an actual tenant. The NHL wouldnt approve the move otherwise. Hence, 2015 start.

I have not seen it yet, but look forward to it. I will be going there to check out a Nets game sometime soon, and will attend the Dave Matthews Band concert there in late December....

If the NHL is still on strike...I will go to the Ovechkin vs Kovy KHL game there in January? I believe

I think we're safe because of the lease and TV deal for a good while, but our real long-term viability will be determined by how our ownership situation turns out.

Makes me want to be a billionaire just so I can be like Wang and ensure the team never moves..

I think our next TV deal won't be as good.. Not sure what our ratings are, but I feel like part of that deal was because Dolan figured he had a monopoly on HD.. Now that everyone has access to HD, Cablevision has lost that and people are switching

I have not seen it yet, but look forward to it. I will be going there to check out a Nets game sometime soon, and will attend the Dave Matthews Band concert there in late December....

If the NHL is still on strike...I will go to the Ovechkin vs Kovy KHL game there in January? I believe

A friend of mine is a promoter and got a bunch of tix for one of Jay-Z's shows there. Im not a fan of his much at all, but I went along the 2nd night just for the building more than anything. It's easily the "prettiest" arena in the local area, including The Rock, but that makes sense since its the newest. I may go to that KHL game depending on circumstances. Barclay's is also in a perfect area. The amount of access is pretty ridiculous.

very cool graphic.

while the isles will say they'll keep the logo and colors, there's absolutely no doubt they'll have a 3rd that features brooklyn and they'll probably do something like you've got there as a shoulder patch - perhaps opposite or in place of the 4 slash marks they currently have for their cups

Makes me want to be a billionaire just so I can be like Wang and ensure the team never moves..

I think our next TV deal won't be as good.. Not sure what our ratings are, but I feel like part of that deal was because Dolan figured he had a monopoly on HD.. Now that everyone has access to HD, Cablevision has lost that and people are switching

Sports are the one thing that are doing substantially better in this TV market because they are broadcast live, you can't really stream them afterwards, etc. So I don't worry about that. The Islanders really don't compete with the Devils for fans - getting through New York City is just too difficult and expensive for most fans.

I don't know about that. I know at least one huge Ranger fan (STH) who lives in Brooklyn and said he would switch if the Isles moved to Barclays. We'll see if he goes through with it.

Well, he's going through with it. He's selling or giving away almost all his Rangers gear, and has already put down a deposit on season tickets at Barclays.

Edited by David Puddy

Sports are the one thing that are doing substantially better in this TV market because they are broadcast live, you can't really stream them afterwards, etc. So I don't worry about that. The Islanders really don't compete with the Devils for fans - getting through New York City is just too difficult and expensive for most fans.

Well I hope you're right because we need Dolan's money.. Ughh that sucks to even think about.. I would be curious to see why MSG pays us (and the Islanders) so much for our TV rights.. I guess a breakdown of every team with their ratings and TV deals would be impossible to find