NFL 2011 Offseason Thead

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Who says that hasn't happened? I'm not entirely convinced Al isn't like the guy from Weekend at Bernie's at this point, the last time I saw him lucid in public was when he was slandering Kiffin in the media (who knew that was the one thing in the last ten years he was right about? :lol:).

Dolphins talking to Jim Harbaugh as possible candidate for the head coaching job....not sure if that's a good mix (or that Harbaugh is ready for the NFL)

Personally I think he should take the Michigan job (it's probably a better fit and I wanna see him prove himself under some pressure before he jumps to the pros)

Dolphins talking to Jim Harbaugh as possible candidate for the head coaching job....not sure if that's a good mix (or that Harbaugh is ready for the NFL)

Personally I think he should take the Michigan job (it's probably a better fit and I wanna see him prove himself under some pressure before he jumps to the pros)

Dolphins will try an woo him, but San Fran is probably the most likely scenario.

Sorry Crasher. You are very wrong. Jim Harbaugh is ready for the NFL. He's a hell of a coach. And why would he go to Michigan when he is probably the most sought-after coach in NFL history. 4-5 teams are bidding for his services. No reason to fix the mess in Michigan.

• Like 1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trent Edwards Ultra for a 2nd rounder? Keep dreaming Denver!!

lol he's a lot better than Trent and a bit more proven than Kevin Kolb (who was bad most of the time this year he was in). He might actually make the difference for a team like the Niners or Cards, who have offensive weapons but no NFL QB's anywhere to be found, except on Dancing With the Stars :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trent Edwards Ultra for a 2nd rounder? Keep dreaming Denver!!

I couldn't even get a 2nd for Edwards in madden 11 :P

(I did trade Orton for Bradford and a 1st though :evil: )

Sorry Crasher. You are very wrong. Jim Harbaugh is ready for the NFL. He's a hell of a coach. And why would he go to Michigan when he is probably the most sought-after coach in NFL history. 4-5 teams are bidding for his services. No reason to fix the mess in Michigan.

I just think the jump from a small school like Stamford to the NFL is a BIG jump.....obv. if he goes to Carolina with Luck it might be a better mix.... and the mess on some of the NFL teams that want him is any better?

I couldn't even get a 2nd for Edwards in madden 11 :P

(I did trade Orton for Bradford and a 1st though :evil: )

I just think the jump from a small school like Stamford to the NFL is a BIG jump.....obv. if he goes to Carolina with Luck it might be a better mix.... and the mess on some of the NFL teams that want him is any better?

StaNford.

Its only a small school in comparison to say Pac-10 public schools like UCLA or Oregon based on enrollment alone, but its still a BCS/major conference school in one of the top 3 recruiting grounds (California) in the country (behind Texas and Florida). He's also done it with a school that has VERY HIGH admission standards meaning he can't compete (recruiting wise) constantly with the likes of USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas etc. because their admission standards aren't as stringent, yet has proven he can get them to be competitive on the field. Stanford was a laughingstock for years in the Pac-10 until he got there and were 1-11 the year before he arrived. The fact that he's done what he's done with Stanford is testament to his ability moreso than if he was coming from a huge school. Once his own recruits were upperclassmen and getting the majority of the playing time, Stanford has been a tough win for any school.

He started at San Diego University (not even a Division 1 program) and turned them around and has turned Stanford around as well in short order. Stanford had never even sniffed the top 10 in recent memory until he got there.

He's also not a neophyte to the NFL. He played for years, his brother is one of the better coaches in the league currently, and he's already shown thats where he wants to coach.

If any coach in the NCAA is capable of coaching in the NFL right now, its Harbaugh and he's probably the only one that could make the jump and be relatively succesful immediately.

Edited by ghdi

StaNford.

Its only a small school in comparison to say Pac-10 public schools like UCLA or Oregon based on enrollment alone, but its still a BCS/major conference school in one of the top 3 recruiting grounds (California) in the country (behind Texas and Florida). He's also done it with a school that has VERY HIGH admission standards meaning he can't compete (recruiting wise) constantly with the likes of USC, Florida, Ohio State and Texas etc. because their admission standards aren't as stringent, yet has proven he can get them to be competitive on the field. Stanford was a laughingstock for years in the Pac-10 until he got there and were 1-11 the year before he arrived. The fact that he's done what he's done with Stanford is testament to his ability moreso than if he was coming from a huge school. Once his own recruits were upperclassmen and getting the majority of the playing time, Stanford has been a tough win for any school.

He started at San Diego University (not even a Division 1 program) and turned them around and has turned Stanford around as well in short order. Stanford had never even sniffed the top 10 in recent memory until he got there.

He's also not a neophyte to the NFL. He played for years, his brother is one of the better coaches in the league currently, and he's already shown thats where he wants to coach.

If any coach in the NCAA is capable of coaching in the NFL right now, its Harbaugh and he's probably the only one that could make the jump and be relatively succesful immediately.

I always get them and the damn place in CT confused :P

I didn't know about his first job, my bad.... I find it hard to watch and follow college football (too many blow out games and the NCAA-Nazism makes me sick to an unholy level).....so I'm not as up on a "hot college candidate" as I would be a guy in the NFL, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on it and I'm going on nothing more than a strong intuition-ffeling

I always get them and the damn place in CT confused :P

I didn't know about his first job, my bad.... I find it hard to watch and follow college football (too many blow out games and the NCAA-Nazism makes me sick to an unholy level).....so I'm not as up on a "hot college candidate" as I would be a guy in the NFL, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on it and I'm going on nothing more than a strong intuition-ffeling

Well really, his first job isn't indicative of his ability as much as Stanford. The thing Harbaugh has over any coach making the jump (i.e. Petrino and Saban) is that Harbaugh was an NFL player, a QB no less, and he was also good. He knows the mindset of a guy in a contract year and can relate to them in that respect. His work with Luck shows this as well. Stanford run a pro-style offense. Without Harbaugh, Andrew Luck isn't the probable 1st pick. IMO, Saban could be a good NFL coach, but he got spoiled at LSU when he had total control and didn't have that in Miami. Some guys just aren't cut out for the NFL. Harbaugh is opposite. He's been a star in the league and his coaching job at Stanford, where he doesnt have the perks of being at a USC or other powerhouse program aren't there, yet he still is competing at a high level.

I prefer college to the pros. When we left NJ when I was 12 (back to the area now at 32) we moved to a SEC college town and I basically learned the game in the shadow of a major college program. I went to a big Pac-10 school. I feel more of a tie to my college teams than I do my pro. College football's major problem is the bureaucracy of the NCAA and moreso, the college presidents and leaders of the major conferences who only want to make money rather than see who the best team is on the field. Its also worth noting that the BCS, while complete sh!t in many respects, is much better than the old way of doing things.

One thing on Saban (besides being a chicken sh!t and a weasel).... a guy like that who wins 9-11 games a year in college and is treated like God and beyond, when they come to the pros... that level of winning every year is IMPOSSIBLE and they tend to not be able to handle it (obviously Jimmy Johnson is an exception)....the guy who turned tail and ran on the Falcons comes to mind too..... they like being the big fish in the littler pond where there's no Sharks to pounce on them, and that's ok... just admit it and don't try to come back (well unless Spurrier wants to coach the Redskins again, that was amazing!), maybe having to earn his success in college makes him more NFL-ready then the guy who buys better players....recruits good players..... each year and has a superior talent pool every time....

It's rare you get a good college coach who becomes a good pro coach, the whole approach to the game is so DIFFERENT

One thing on Saban (besides being a chicken sh!t and a weasel).... a guy like that who wins 9-11 games a year in college and is treated like God and beyond, when they come to the pros... that level of winning every year is IMPOSSIBLE and they tend to not be able to handle it (obviously Jimmy Johnson is an exception)....the guy who turned tail and ran on the Falcons comes to mind too..... they like being the big fish in the littler pond where there's no Sharks to pounce on them, and that's ok... just admit it and don't try to come back (well unless Spurrier wants to coach the Redskins again, that was amazing!), maybe having to earn his success in college makes him more NFL-ready then the guy who buys better players....recruits good players..... each year and has a superior talent pool every time....

It's rare you get a good college coach who becomes a good pro coach, the whole approach to the game is so DIFFERENT

Its also important where these guys go. You have to remember with both of your examples (Petrino and Saban) that both had previous NFL coaching experience. They also went, IMO, to bad situations. Saban's specialty is defense. Petrino offense, and neither of those teams were in a position to succeed right off the bat. Petrino had to deal with that whole Michael Vick BS and have Harrington as his starter. These guys went into bad situations. Same for Spurrier, who only came because Dan Snyder offered him the farm and hasnt found any real success since returning to college like he did at Florida, he also couldnt let go of the guys who were stars at Florida and brought them all to Washington. Spurrier did coach in the USFL and actually had Duke playing good college ball for a while. They (Saban and Petrino) are both yellow for the way they left, but I can see why they did leave.

Harbaugh is very unique. Can you name a former all-pro QB coming to coach an NFL team? At least in respect to the modern game. Its almost uncharted, but his coaching ability I dont think is questionable at this time. He comes from a family of coaches.

I agree though, most college coaches don't pan out in the pros, but Harbaugh's case is unique and worth taking a chance on provided he goes to a good situation, OR is at least given the time to get a system in place. Nothing is going to turn around in Carolina, Denver, or San Fran overnight.

Harbaugh is very unique. Can you name a former all-pro QB coming to coach an NFL team? At least in respect to the modern game. Its almost uncharted, but his coaching ability I dont think is questionable at this time. He comes from a family of coaches.

The rest were good points too, but in ANY sport you name me an elite level player (and that was one thing about Harbaugh, before he went to Indy I was calling him "Jim Horrible" and rightly so..... I never saw a QB go as low as he did and rise so high....it does add to the exception factor because he unlike other top-level guys, the other guys don't understand the extra hard work and not having that extra level to achieve to and it's why they end up being bad coaches)...hell look at Singletary as an example

(or even Del Rio who was an awesome MLB but an average coach)

I'm trying to think of anyone else....it's not coming to me now, I'm sure I missed someone :P

Larry was really the only HOF player on that list and he was an effective coach for a while, but not really a top coach per se. Lemaire was a HOF player too and he actually was a great coach until he became a dinosaur :P He is one of the exceptions to the rule. I think Lenny Wilkens in the NBA too (not sure if he was a HOF player but he was at least very close) and he became one of the winningest coaches ever.

Usually great players don't make great coaches, but a lot of times very good players can - Joe Torre being another example.

Larry was really the only HOF player on that list and he was an effective coach for a while, but not really a top coach per se. Lemaire was a HOF player too and he actually was a great coach until he became a dinosaur :P He is one of the exceptions to the rule. I think Lenny Wilkens in the NBA too (not sure if he was a HOF player but he was at least very close) and he became one of the winningest coaches ever.

Usually great players don't make great coaches, but a lot of times very good players can - Joe Torre being another example.

Doesnt matter in respect to the discussion we're having. Harbaugh is not a HOF'er.

Doc Rivers, Scoscia, Guillen, Girardi - all good players who have won championships as coaches. I added Larry Robinson as a joke to Crasher.

Singletary is a HOF'er, but he's never even been a coordinator before he was a head coach.

I would've included guys like Wilkens and even Phil Jackson, but they also played way back when. Tried to keep it a little modern. You can even go to Tommy Lasorda and guys like that if we're really getting particular.

Good players can make good coaches. In the case of Harbaugh, it all depends on the situation and the owner he is with. Carolina and Denver both have ownership which would give him some time. San Francisco, I dunno.

Edited by ghdi

Jim Zorn...how did that work out.

And I like how they're interviewing (and apparently prepared to make him the highest paid head coach in the NFL) all the while Sparano is STILL THE COACH

An utter disgrace, stay classy Miami

Harbaugh wants $6.5 million a year to coach in the NFL :blink:

Wade Phillips official in Houston as the next guy to screw up their defense :lol:

And I gotta wonder what team's gonna take a swing at Vince Young next year too (someone will..... maybe the Redskins :lol: )

Jim Zorn...how did that work out.

And I like how they're interviewing (and apparently prepared to make him the highest paid head coach in the NFL) all the while Sparano is STILL THE COACH

An utter disgrace, stay classy Miami

Forgot about Zorn, but he was an excellent assistant before becoming a head guy. Harbaugh has head coaching experience already. It just feels different with Harbaugh considering his roots. Its also worth noting that Jim Zorn was under Dennis Erickson (lol) and Bobby Ross (lol) before he finally got with Holmgren.

And yes, Miami are a bit disgusting the way they're handling these things.

Sports have sucked this past year for me with all my teams being bad. You know it isn't good when the Toronto Blue Jays is the best team you root for. And I have taken all the losing well, but this is the ultimate blow of the year. Andrew Luck is going to be a star QB in the NFL and it just sucks he won't be the Panthers QB of the future.

I'm trying not to be bias here. This is not a great decision for him. His coach and mentor is leaving in Harbaugh. He'll have to learn a whole new offense. 3 offensive lineman are gone. He won't ever be as hot of a prospect as he is now, and the Panthers have as much talent as #1 pick team has had in a long time. This team was simply this bad because of their QB play, which he can fix.

This sucks...

His coach and mentor is leaving in Harbaugh. He'll have to learn a whole new offense. 3 offensive lineman are gone. He won't ever be as hot of a prospect as he is now, and the Panthers have as much talent as #1 pick team has had in a long time. This team was simply this bad because of their QB play, which he can fix.

This sucks...

Sam Bradford missed almost his entire senior year injured and still went #1 and is flourishing. Peyton Manning did the exact same thing his junior year. Everyone thought he was going to leave, but stayed because he didnt want to go to the Jets, and has been fine. Funniest thing about Manning is that Tennesse won a Nat'l Championship the year after he left lol.

Its also highly likely that if Harbaugh does leave (which does seem likely) that David Shaw is going to get the job to replace Harbaugh. He's the Stanford offensive coordinator and has been for Luck's entire college career. He's also a Stanford alum.

You're just bitter you're not getting him, which I completely understand, but you're not looking at the full picture. Luck is in a better position than you realize. Its also possible Carolina is in the same spot again next year if they stick with the sh!t they have under center right now.