Video Game Thread

NJDevils1214

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but feel free to delete it if there is another thread somewhere. Just curious to know what kind of games you guys play and what you're all looking forward to in the next coming year/years as far as releases. I'll start off with the game I am looking forward to the most. Battlefield 3. Here are some trailers/gameplay footage and the official site.

LINKS:

Official site : LINK

Official Trailer:

Newest Trailer:

Early Development Game play:

So yea I'm pretty pumped, comes out on October 25th, 2011. I can't wait.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there's an NHL thread but no video game, as far as I know, so I'll help you out with one!

I'm an old school gamer that just started back up about a year and a half ago, so I'm busy catching up on all the classics from the last few years. Bioshock, God Of War 3, Heavy Rain and Uncharted being some of my favorite and yes, I'm a PS3 guy. I also have a Wii but while I love the stuff Nintendo puts out (Donkey Kong Country Returns is amazing), I find myself logging way more PS3 time than anything else. Just finished Arkham Asylum in preparation for Arkham City and good God, that game is ridiculous! I'm not even a huge Batman or comic book guy and I absolutely loved it. The games I'm looking forward to this winter are, in order:

Uncharted 3

ICO / Shadow of the Colossus reissue (coming out next week, I think!)

Arkham City

The Last Guardian (whenever that's supposed to come out)

Also looking forward to the PS3 God of War Origins series that's getting re-released on PS3 and may even be out already. As for Battlefield, I've never played the first two, so I'm always skeptical of trying out a sequel without playing originals, which is why I've never tried the Mass Effect series (you can get 2 on PS3, but not 1). That, and I'm not a bit FPS player although I do enjoy the CoD games on a purely single player, oh my God, they just bombed the White House sort of way. Have played online maybe a handful of times, didn't enjoy the bratty kids shooting the snot out of me and didn't go back to it.

Now that I'm done with Arkham, I think my next game is going to be LA Noire, which should tide me over until the holidays and Uncharted 3.

Oh, and I loves me some Final Fantasy. Yep, I'm one of those guys.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop!

Yeah, there's an NHL thread but no video game, as far as I know, so I'll help you out with one!

I'm an old school gamer that just started back up about a year and a half ago, so I'm busy catching up on all the classics from the last few years. Bioshock, God Of War 3, Heavy Rain and Uncharted being some of my favorite and yes, I'm a PS3 guy. I also have a Wii but while I love the stuff Nintendo puts out (Donkey Kong Country Returns is amazing), I find myself logging way more PS3 time than anything else. Just finished Arkham Asylum in preparation for Arkham City and good God, that game is ridiculous! I'm not even a huge Batman or comic book guy and I absolutely loved it. The games I'm looking forward to this winter are, in order:

Uncharted 3

ICO / Shadow of the Colossus reissue (coming out next week, I think!)

Arkham City

The Last Guardian (whenever that's supposed to come out)

Also looking forward to the PS3 God of War Origins series that's getting re-released on PS3 and may even be out already. As for Battlefield, I've never played the first two, so I'm always skeptical of trying out a sequel without playing originals, which is why I've never tried the Mass Effect series (you can get 2 on PS3, but not 1). That, and I'm not a bit FPS player although I do enjoy the CoD games on a purely single player, oh my God, they just bombed the White House sort of way. Have played online maybe a handful of times, didn't enjoy the bratty kids shooting the snot out of me and didn't go back to it.

Now that I'm done with Arkham, I think my next game is going to be LA Noire, which should tide me over until the holidays and Uncharted 3.

Oh, and I loves me some Final Fantasy. Yep, I'm one of those guys.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop!

What he said...like EXACTLY what he said. Bioshock is the only FPS that I got into. Mostly like the adventure games and such. Also I'm a big Ratchet & Clank fan.

I'm dying for the new Batman. I can't wait. Although the Uncharted series is probably my favorite one.

There are far too many awesome-looking games coming out that I really want to get (to go along with Dead Island which I just bought).

- Arkham City

- Gears of War 3

- Rage

- Modern Warfare 3

- Halo Anniversary

- Assassin's Creed 3

And on top of those, I still need to get NHL 12. So many games, such little time haha.

I'm happy to see you guys answering me :). I actually liked the COD series until I started playing Battlefield. I definitely prefer the simulation type game play more so than the arcade FPS shooter. I get totally consumed by Battlefield and the team/class aspect. I always find myself getting upset in COD due to some random killstreak killing me or little kids being lame. At least in Battlefield you can blame yourself for most deaths or say they were unavoidable where as in black ops or modern warfare you end up getting blown up repeatedly because one kid on your team is feeding. I really wanted to get La Noir so I look forward to hearing how you like it. I hear it has a very good story and is unique in game play.

I opted not to buy NHL this year. Its the first time in a long time I decided not to but just wasnt enough incentive to buy for me. It didnt look like they improved it enough to justify paying 60$. I will buy it next year, it will just give me more to look forward to.

My friend is a huge gears of war fan so it will be hard to pry him off and get him to play battlefield with me. He is also looking forward to Diablo 3 and Heart of the swarm (starcraft 2 expansion). Its going to ruin everything :evilcry:

I played Assassins Creed 1 and 2 but havent played brotherhood or looked up much on the next one though I do want to get them all eventually. I was getting heavily into the story line of that game it is actually very good which I did not expect after playing the first one.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Anyone pick up Gears 3 yet?

I'm hoping it sucks, simply because I don't want to have to buy it. I'm going to be spending a pretty penny this year on video games, yikes

I got Gears last night. Played the new Beast mode for about an hour then passed out.

Played some of the campaign today [1 Act out of the 5]

I prefer Gears 2's campaign for now, but the Horde mode and new Beast mode seem to have gotten a nice upgrade.

haven't picked up an NHL game since '09, so it's worlds different to me and loving the idea of a first line of Gordie Howe, Yzerman and Kovy B ).... anyway, got Madden too, and it's kinda eh....they shrunk the players to make the field bigger and it's a giant adjustment, and they screwed up rookie scouting (can't see 40 times and bench press stats when you scout, so you're really going in blind scouting), but I'll adjust....

I'm waiting for my Fallout New Vegas: Game of the Year edition so I can have all the DLC from that too.....

Hell aren't we due a new Grand Theft Auto ???

I played Assassins Creed 1 and 2 but havent played brotherhood or looked up much on the next one though I do want to get them all eventually. I was getting heavily into the story line of that game it is actually very good which I did not expect after playing the first one.

You know, I just couldn't get past the boredom of the first Assassins Creed. Bought it on a whim last year and was very disappointed in how repetititve it was. While I've read the newer ones have fixed the issues, I can't can't get into that whole "replaying memories" storyline as it sucks all the drama out of the game. You don't die, you fail to follow in the footsteps of your ancestors! For me, that sucks all the tension of trying to stay alive. And don't get me started on how you're this amazingly agile assassin and the common goons who chase you seem to have the same amazing abilities. Someone needs to convince me AC2 is that much better for me to continue the series!

As for wartime FPS's, I've mainly stuck with the CoW series, MW1, MW2 and Black Ops and always because I got them for dirt cheap or recieved them as a gift. The only other wartime FPS I've played is Medal of Honor which was decent. Maybe I'll give Battlefield a rent at some point.

Oh, I need to add two more games to my watch list:

Bioshock Infinite

Final Fantasy 13-2

Bioshock Infinite just looks brilliant and I think I'm the only person in exsistance who actually enjoyed FF13. Looking forward to seeing how the after story pans out and the developers hopefully fixing the many issues in the original game.

Also, quick question for the Bioshock fans out there...Bioshock 2. Is it worth playing? I can get it for crazy cheap on Amazon right now but I'd like to know if it's worthwhile before sinking 25 hours into it.

I'm a huge Gears fan, so I was excited to pick that up yesterday. I'll play the story mode at some point probably, but I'm more of a multiplayer junky. So far the game has been fantastic. Gears 2 was great, but the host advantage and overall lag was most bothersome. Those issues appear to be fixed.

I am more excited for MW3 though.

I also have Madden and NCAA Football 12. Both seem pretty good but not really different than previous versions.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm a huge Gears fan, so I was excited to pick that up yesterday. I'll play the story mode at some point probably, but I'm more of a multiplayer junky. So far the game has been fantastic. Gears 2 was great, but the host advantage and overall lag was most bothersome. Those issues appear to be fixed.

I also have Madden and NCAA Football 12. Both seem pretty good but not really different than previous versions.

I'm so god awful at Gears modes that aren't Horde or now Beast, lol. My ratio is rarely better than 1:1, IDK, just too aggressive I guess. Then again, I've only owned a 360 for just over a month.

The last NCAA Football I bought before this year was 10 so the differences between 10 and 12 are considerable and I really enjoy the modified recruiting system.

i love Gears of War 1 and 2... ive only had the chance to play 45 minutes of Hoard mode yesterday in GOW3, but soon ill get to the Campaign as well as 4 player campaign, and Beast Modes...

Im usually on Xbox playing Halo: Reach... but Gears is just a game i love to play... what else is better than sawing a locust in half with a machine gun that has a chainsaw attached to it?

Edited by Microwavepizza

I'm so god awful at Gears modes that aren't Horde or now Beast, lol. My ratio is rarely better than 1:1, IDK, just too aggressive I guess. Then again, I've only owned a 360 for just over a month.

The last NCAA Football I bought before this year was 10 so the differences between 10 and 12 are considerable and I really enjoy the modified recruiting system.

Are you completely new to the Gears series? It definitely is difficult when you are new. I remember when I first started playing GoW 1... I was awful. It took my like 3-4 full matches just to get a kill. And I haven't been very good so far in Gears 3 either. It's not an easy game. You really need to work together as a team, which makes it fun. Call of Duty, despite its attempt at being a team-based multiplayer game, is much more 'every man for himself'. That doesn't work if you try it in Gears (unless you are awesomely good).. you need to work together to win or else you'll just get slaughtered.

By the way, if anyone wants to play, feel free to add me on Xbox Live: xxK Rod 75xx

Edited by nmigliore

Well that might settle it, gonna have to buy it. My biggest beef with Gears 1 & 2 was the lag (ESPECIALLY the host advantage, that was just infuriating).

I hear that. :cheers:

To anyone interested, my gamertag on xbox is Devilsfan118x, I'm on CoD a lot (and when I'm not my roommates usually are) so feel free to add me if you want to play

Are you completely new to the Gears series? It definitely is difficult when you are new. I remember when I first started playing GoW 1... I was awful. It took my like 3-4 full matches just to get a kill. And I haven't been very good so far in Gears 3 either. It's not an easy game. You really need to work together as a team, which makes it fun. Call of Duty, despite its attempt at being a team-based multiplayer game, is much more 'every man for himself'. That doesn't work if you try it in Gears (unless you are awesomely good).. you need to work together to win or else you'll just get slaughtered.

By the way, if anyone wants to play, feel free to add me on Xbox Live: xxK Rod 75xx

I'm pretty new to XBox altogether. My roommate had the original one back in college during our last year or so in the apartment, but I rarely played it and that was what...4-5 years ago. I'm getting better since I last posted, even managed a 3:1 kill ratio. Although in there i also had more downs than kills as everytime I downed someone, their friend blew me away, lol

I also just finished the campaign tonight. Took about 8-10 hours and it only sped up because you can have multiple people playing in co-op, we ran with 3. Freaking amazing and solid story line, unbelievable twists...

Even if you aren't the campaign type, you HAVE to play through this if you're a Gears fan.

My Gamertag is UBDevils2225

I need to get a new game. I am so sick of playing Black Ops. I am thinking about getting a copy of Dirt 3. Always love the racing games. Seem to be to many glitches right now with NHL 12 so Ill wait a few more weeks for that game.

yo just buy Modern Warfare 3 when it comes out (2 months)

so stokeddddd

I've never been crazy for Black Ops nor Treyarch's Call of Duty creations in general. Black Ops is okay, but it's not nearly as good as MW2 or the first Modern Warfare. World at War was horrendous.

MW3 looks like a carbon copy of MW2 with some new guns, maps, and other tweaks. Of course, that will piss some people off, but I'm cool with it. I rather they don't overhaul the system.

Edited by nmigliore

why, though? the online play is sooo addicting, but i guess you can say that about any game

I think because they are coming out with MW3, they stopped monitoring the sever for black ops so it lags and takes alot longer, if at all, to find a match to play in. (Keep in mind, I play Barebones Classic)

I think because they are coming out with MW3, they stopped monitoring the sever for black ops so it lags and takes alot longer, if at all, to find a match to play in. (Keep in mind, I play Barebones Classic)

ohhhh gotcha yea i feel you there.. still gotta be excited for MW3 though

I'm not nearly the video game nerd I once was. Used to be unstoppable in the NHL games, but stopped playing around '06. Picked up '09 and it was like the game had completely passed me by. I'm afraid to even try '12. :lol:

I did enjoy the hell out of Arkham Asylum, though. Might have to get Arkham City. And I got inFAMOUS with that PS3 "Welcome Back" free games promotion and have been having a lot of fun with that too.