Devils Complete Refinancing - JVB Sole Owner

SterioDesign

Ya as a Devils fan and Newark resident I find myself torn on this. The arena is in my mind a net positive for the city and has created a better overall impression of Newark that could have existed otherwise. I think it has also solidified the core areas between Broad and Penn Station and given momentum to development. That being said moving forward without paying rent and having the city pay them has the reciped for a disaster so I hope a better situation comes about long term.

I seriously doubt anything in that lease changes one bit unless VBK sells the team outright and new ownership comes in willing to renogiate the lease(which I doubt because paying $300k or whatever it was in rent after the city pays the Devils $2.7M for the parking revenues, is a REALLY good deal)

Though I agree that this kinda sucks for Newark, even if the arena is good for the city.

Ya as a Devils fan and Newark resident I find myself torn on this. The arena is in my mind a net positive for the city and has created a better overall impression of Newark that could have existed otherwise. I think it has also solidified the core areas between Broad and Penn Station and given momentum to development. That being said moving forward without paying rent and having the city pay them has the reciped for a disaster so I hope a better situation comes about long term.

Yeah, can totally understand why you'd be torn. We'll never know exactly what went down at the bargaining table between JVB and Sharpe James, or just what JVB's intentions were, whether exploitative or as a hockey fan with a good eye. If it was my neighborhood, maybe I'd be pissed? But from the outside looking in, it's a great situation to be in (I think), and hopefully some continued success spills over to positively affect the surrounding areas the way it did this past May and June. The jobs and the spirits of the people around the arena were running pretty high and positive.

Yeah, can totally understand why you'd be torn. We'll never know exactly what went down at the bargaining table between JVB and Sharpe James, or just what JVB's intentions were, whether exploitative or as a hockey fan with a good eye. If it was my neighborhood, maybe I'd be pissed? But from the outside looking in, it's a great situation to be in (I think), and hopefully some continued success spills over to positively affect the surrounding areas the way it did this past May and June. The jobs and the spirits of the people around the arena were running pretty high and positive.

It's definitely a plus when you get an extra 25 or so dates in the spring for a playoff run. Gotta have employees working, getting paid. Money that will likely get spent in the area, as I can't imagine a lot of the employees commute very far to work there.

Where was the NY Post's insider source of doom on this one?!? Jeez some real news comes along and all of a sudden they know nothing

I guess the Devils straightening out their finances makes for boring news copy as far as the Post's Business section is concerned. They probably figure nobody in New York cares about the Devils except when the franchise might be going under.

I guess the Devils straightening out their finances makes for boring news copy as far as the Post's Business section is concerned. They probably figure nobody in New York cares about the Devils except when the franchise might be going under.

They're a tabloid. Not a real newspaper. Part of their schtick is to rip and knock the Devils because they're not the Rangers. Look at the clown that is Neverson. As long as he's drawing a paycheck from the Post, kinda hard to take those tools seriously.

103004198_crop_650x440.jpg?1296588358

That is one high falutin huckster right there!

As long as Booker is Mayor and JVB owns this team, I can't see any re-working of that arena lease, especially after Booker's idiotic/apocoliptic news conference follwoing the release of the arbiter's decision. BTW, I don't remember it being discussed here, but back in November 2012 the City of Newark lost their appeal of the arbitration decision.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

It's definitely a plus when you get an extra 25 or so dates in the spring for a playoff run. Gotta have employees working, getting paid. Money that will likely get spent in the area, as I can't imagine a lot of the employees commute very far to work there.

It's a bunch of minimum-wage-ish jobs. The trouble is that so much of the money spent at the arena goes to the owner and the players, neither of whom live in the area, so the area really doesn't get the full benefit at all.