They're effin with us, right?

thelastonealive

At the beginning of the season, everyone was saying that this was going to be a strong draft. Now, it seems that the "experts" have begun to change their opinion about the depth of the first round.

I would be surprised if Lou doesn't give up this year's pick. There's no guarantee we make the playoffs next season, especially without Zach if he chooses to leave. At least we know that this year's pick won't be a lottery pick. The safe bet is to give it up.

The injuries have also really taken a toll on this draft class, especially the higher ranked guys. Look at Frk, coming into the year he seemed like an automatic 1st rounder but other than this mock draft, everything I've read in rankings and other mocks has him slipping into the 2nd/3rd round. I was shocked to see this scout have Frk going so high.

I also agree with you regarding Lou surrendering this years pick. I'd be surprised if he keeps it.

any pick above 20 should be given up this year - it is not a great draft and the you don't want to be put in a position to give up a high pick because you wasted a year in the 20's.

Basically this...if the Devils get past the first round there's no way they shouldn't give up the pick this year. Not with an uncertain future vis-a-vis Zach/our goaltending.

I'm guessing the order of teams that get eliminated in the first round goes back to fewest points anyway? So it's possible our pick is in the 20's even with a first-round exit I suppose.

Edited by NJDevs4978

In 03 we drafted the son of a player who scored a big goal for the Islanders to knock out the Rangers from the playoffs. If this happens we draft a son of a Ranger who scored a big goal against us. The line of succession means we will eventually draft the son of a player who as a Devil scored a big goal against the Flyers. So Patrik get busy if you know what I mean.

True and I have heard that this draft year is pretty weak outside the top 4 or so picks. If that is true even if we possibly get a little above 20 I wouldn't mind Lou forfeiting this year's pick.

I wouldn't have either if we didn't trade our 2nd to minny in the zidlicky deal.

Frk had possibly the funniest thing I have ever read written about him from a scout since I started following the draft.

Martin Frk: Long considered a top ten talent after a terrific QMJHL rookie season in which he tallied 50 points for Halifax as a 16-year-old, the Czech Republic native has battled injuries and weight issues all season long, and scouts are not impressed that a high-end prospect could pay so little attention to his diet while recovering from a concussion.

"He is fat and out of shape," noted one scout matter-of-factly. "He's good for about the first ten minutes of the game and then he's gassed. He is on a free fall... I bet he's there early in the second round." Frk missed the first 29 games with a concussion, and while he recovered in time to attend the Top Prospects Game, it may have been in his best interest to have skipped the event. Frk registered the highest body fat percentage, and finished second last in the skating drills, sending up warning flags to NHL teams.

Look for Frk to drop into the second round unless he can whip himself into shape before season's end.

I think we should pass :D

In 03 we drafted the son of a player who scored a big goal for the Islanders to knock out the Rangers from the playoffs. If this happens we draft a son of a Ranger who scored a big goal against us. The line of succession means we will eventually draft the son of a player who as a Devil scored a big goal against the Flyers. So Patrik get busy if you know what I mean.

And after that, I believe the line of succession dictates we would then need to get the son of an Islander who scored a big goal against the Flyers. So Lou swings a deal for Eric Nystrom. :P

True and I have heard that this draft year is pretty weak outside the top 4 or so picks. If that is true even if we possibly get a little above 20 I wouldn't mind Lou forfeiting this year's pick.

Funny, I remember before the 2011 draft that people were claiming the 2012 class to be the deepest since 2003

Edited by Colin226

Basically this...if the Devils get past the first round there's no way they shouldn't give up the pick this year. Not with an uncertain future vis-a-vis Zach/our goaltending.

I'm guessing the order of teams that get eliminated in the first round goes back to fewest points anyway? So it's possible our pick is in the 20's even with a first-round exit I suppose.

1-14 are subject to the draft lottery

27-28 are the conference finals losers by reverse regular season finish

29 is the SCF loser

30 is the Cup winner

15-26 are the remaining playoff teams slotted according to reverse regular season finish, with any remaining division winners slotted last

Unless the Devils make the ECF, the worst the pick could be is 23 in all likelihood.

Edited by BCdevil

It would be 1-14 in the draft lottery? 30 teams, so 14 don't make it. I'd guess 15-22 are the first round losers, inverse from regular season record.

My bad. Fixed. The rest is right, with one caveat: division winners are given worse picks. The only seeds that are based on the playoffs are the 4 conference finalists.

To illustrate: in 2011, re-ordering by each round of the playoffs would have produced (without trades):

23: Nashville

24: Detroit

25: Philadelphia

26: Washington

Instead, it was:

21: Nashville (RS#10)

23: Pittsburgh (RS#4)

24: Detroit (RS#6, Divison Champ)

25: Philadelphia (RS#3, Division Champ)

26: Washington (RS#2, Division Champ)

Edited by BCdevil

Martin Frk? With the scratch Lou would likely pay him, it'd take a good long while before he could finally afford to buy a vowel. Poor kid.

:rofl:

If the Devils picked Matteau, and he pulled off something good in a game against the Rangers, how much fun would it be to chant "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau..." back at them?

If the Devils picked Matteau, and he pulled off something good in a game against the Rangers, how much fun would it be to chant "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau..." back at them?

What if Matteau turned out to be a really good player for us- could you imagine people walking around the Rock with Devils Matteau jerseys? I mean, it would be like the Twilight Zone.

I would be all for this, but it would need to be for something big. I fear the majority of our fanbase wouldn't be able to put it off until he scored a major goal and would just start screaming it on draft day. :rolleyes: