Kovalchuk to stay in Russia if NHL cuts salaries

ATLL765

I don't know, your argument of him being a hockey player and just loving what he does, doesn't work in our favor as that very well may be a reason for him to say "it's the same game, the KHL is probably the second best league in the world, why not stay"

If Kovalchuk wanted to play in the KHL, he'd've been there in 2010. He doesn't want to play there full-time. It's not the same game.

He has two houses in the US. While his KHL contract may pay him more on a year to year basis, if he gets injured he will get nothing - it's a much larger risk to play in the KHL. And most importantly, the NHL is the most competitive league in the world. Kovalchuk can win all the KHL championships he likes, he can dominate that league, but it's not the NHL. Not to mention that while Russia is home for these guys, it brings with it some oddities that life in the United States does not.

If Kovalchuk wanted to play in the KHL, he'd've been there in 2010. He doesn't want to play there full-time. It's not the same game.

the NHL contract is too good to pass up to play in russia, but don't be fooled for one second regarding his house and life in NJ. if the money was guaranteed in russia, it would be an extremely difficult decision for him and if say, they agreed to a straight 24% rollback or something crazy like that where his contract went from $100MM to $75MM - it would not shock me at all if he stayed.

i would actually bet that Kovy goes back to russia for good in about 8 years.

russians love russia.