Your Thoughts About: #7 Jon Merrill

Derlique

After what I thought was a fantastic rookie season, it seemed like Merrill took a pretty big step back last year. He never really seemed to find his groove defensively. His advanced stats were pretty bad, and most of his teammates did better without him. However, there is hope as he is pretty talented with the puck and has a good head on his shoulder. He'll be motivated too since his ELC expires after this season. Devils need him to be a legit top 4 dman if they're going to get out of this mess soon-ish.

Edit- Zubrus was brought out, no legit #9, Harrold is gone, so tomorrow will be fan favorite, #11 Stephen Gionta

Edited by SMantzas

I like Merrill. I think his true talent level and true potential is about where he was in his rookie season (and beyond). I don't think last season was his true self. The same can be said about a lot of players this past season but Merrill leading the pack.

This is going to be a "show-me" type year for Merrill, like all of our young talent, but him especially because he'll be RFA after this season. I think he'll be able to bring his game at least back to his rookie year level, if not above, and solidify himself as a top-4 defenseman. If not, I can see Shero using him to obtain more young forwards and/or draft picks. And even if he does have a great season, I could see this happening.

I believe ILWT did something that demonstrated that Merrill was significantly better than what the numbers suggest. 

They did.  Definitely convinced me that last season was a little fluky.  I think the advanced stats said he struggled, but when he played with certain players, they start to look a little better.  There was another metric that wasn't terrible as well, maybe something like making a good first pass.

They did.  Definitely convinced me that last season was a little fluky.  I think the advanced stats said he struggled, but when he played with certain players, they start to look a little better.  There was another metric that wasn't terrible as well, maybe something like making a good first pass.

I think the stat he really excelled at was zone entries where he was the one passing the puck. I dont have the article in front of me tho

I'm hoping he has a good season.  This is the big one.  I'm expecting a down year for Severson just because that's how a lot of the players have been going for us:  rookie good, sophomore regression, junior sink or swim year.  I don't see him as trade bait that much this year although I'd like him traded more than anyone else on the D.  He seems like he could just be "a guy" which isn't bad for being a defensemen, but it's just so blasé.

Had bad results but excellent underlying numbers with Severson.  That pairing could be really good this year, it seems like their games complement one another well.

I wonder how much of Merrill's slide last year was Zidlicky falling off.  Hard to isolate.  One thing I do know, Merrill should play the left side only, he struggled horribly when asked to move to the right side.

Edited by Triumph

Had bad results but excellent underlying numbers with Severson.  That pairing could be really good this year, it seems like their games complement one another well.

I wonder how much of Merrill's slide last year was Zidlicky falling off.  Hard to isolate.  One thing I do know, Merrill should play the left side only, he struggled horribly when asked to move to the right side.

Problem with 6-5 7-28 is that third pair. Can you really trust Moore-Gelinas 10-12 mins at ES?

Problem with 6-5 7-28 is that third pair. Can you really trust Moore-Gelinas 10-12 mins at ES?

Those are baby minutes and heavily sheltered minutes if I'm not mistaken.  I definitely trust Moore, at least from what I've heard and read.  Gelinas is huge question mark.  

I'm on board with this! I would like to see either him or #22 shipped out to bring in some help up front...not saying I dont like Merrill I do, but you need to give to get.

Exactly, I've got no problem if they keep him, but I suspect one of our young D men are not much longer for us.

Future All-Star candidate. Kid will be a solid player for years to come. People forget how little experience he has. He didnt play all that much in College and Albany. After a rookie season in the NHL, it was only natural he'd look a little slower his sophomore year. Expect him to rebound.