The Best Solution To The Rolston Problem

Triumph

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KHL should "kidnap" Rolston...and pay him 7million a year. ;p. Seriously! Would still be stuck with his cap hit if that happened?

Yes, we're stuck with his cap hit in all cases except trading him (including the re-entry waivers which is the idea behind this thread as far as I know). Even if re-entry waivers was allowed we'd still be up against the cap both this year and next year with Rolston's dead cap hit anyway.

Yes, we're stuck with his cap hit in all cases except trading him (including the re-entry waivers which is the idea behind this thread as far as I know). Even if re-entry waivers was allowed we'd still be up against the cap both this year and next year with Rolston's dead cap hit anyway.

Are you sure about that? I believe if a player is picked up on waivers, that mean his contract is transferred to another team and the original team is no longer responsible for his cap hit (or 1/2 in the case of reentry waivers).

Why don't we just send Rolston down to the minors? He goes on waivers and if someone wants to pick up his contract he's off the books. If they don't then he goes down to the minors and his contract does not hit our cap anyway. If the overall focus is loosening up cap space we win either way don't we? I'd much rather get a draft pick or something for Rolston but I think the paramount thing is making more cap room isn't it?

I could be missing something though. I admit I don't study the NHL rulebook so I may be completely wrong about our ability to do that within the rules of the NHL and the CBA.

Why don't we just send Rolston down to the minors? He goes on waivers and if someone wants to pick up his contract he's off the books. If they don't then he goes down to the minors and his contract does not hit our cap anyway. If the overall focus is loosening up cap space we win either way don't we? I'd much rather get a draft pick or something for Rolston but I think the paramount thing is making more cap room isn't it?

I could be missing something though. I admit I don't study the NHL rulebook so I may be completely wrong about our ability to do that within the rules of the NHL and the CBA.

Because Rolston signed his contract when he was 35 or older, sending him down to the minors only lessens his cap hit by $100,000.

we are not. i wish people wouldn't say this without understanding what's going on in the devils organization right now. the devils have a ton of players that they think are NHL ready, and they have a lot of players already established.

here's the salary chart with salvador gone and rolston re-entry waived:

rolstonreentry.jpg

the devils would have 3.2 million in room this season for 4 potential roster spots, only 3 of which they should use. They would have at least 7 million in room next season for 8 players next season, and the devils have most of these 8 players already in their system. a rolston re-entry, to me, is clearly the best possible move new jersey could make wrt rolston, it's better than trading him, and it's even better than buying him out, which we couldn't do anyway, but if we could, this is better.

So even if he just decides to NEVER show up for another game, we still have his cap hit??? Or if he is injured and can no longer play? The CBA is total crap again. I mean I would rather have Rolston and his cap hit than see him hurt, but I think it (the CBA) is crazy if in those cases (as well as leaving for KHL) would result in his cap hit remaining on the books.

So even if he just decides to NEVER show up for another game, we still have his cap hit??? Or if he is injured and can no longer play? The CBA is total crap again. I mean I would rather have Rolston and his cap hit than see him hurt, but I think it (the CBA) is crazy if in those cases (as well as leaving for KHL) would result in his cap hit remaining on the books.

I think if he just decides to never show up without actually retiring the Devils can suspend him, which would remove his cap hit. (I think that's how it works, but I'm not sure).

Edit: But obviously this is unlikely, so what Tri said in the above post is more likely to come into play.

Edited by devils26

we are not. i wish people wouldn't say this without understanding what's going on in the devils organization right now. the devils have a ton of players that they think are NHL ready, and they have a lot of players already established.

here's the salary chart with salvador gone and rolston re-entry waived:

rolstonreentry.jpg

the devils would have 3.2 million in room this season for 4 potential roster spots, only 3 of which they should use. They would have at least 7 million in room next season for 8 players next season, and the devils have most of these 8 players already in their system. a rolston re-entry, to me, is clearly the best possible move new jersey could make wrt rolston, it's better than trading him, and it's even better than buying him out, which we couldn't do anyway, but if we could, this is better.

Bonuses count against the cap so some of the numbers (Hedberg and Zharkov for example) should be higher. And next year we have to account for the raises Parise and Greene are going to get - conservatively around $5 million combined, actually replacing the roster spots of the Arnotts and Langs that come off the book and then consider whether the cap actually goes down or not. That $10 million that comes off the books between Langs, Arnott and Hedberg isn't going to evaporate into thin air, it's going to get reused.

Edited by Hasan4978

Bonuses count against the cap so some of the numbers (Hedberg and Zharkov for example) should be higher.

bonuses over the cap get pushed off into next season. i don't think it's that important to consider them right now.

And next year we have to account for the raises Parise and Greene are going to get - conservatively around $5 million combined, actually replacing the roster spots of the Arnotts and Langs that come off the book and then consider whether the cap actually goes down or not. That $10 million that comes off the books between Langs, Arnott and Hedberg isn't going to evaporate into thin air, it's going to get reused.

i already accounted for a parise raise. i'm aware that greene will need a raise. zubrus may need to be moved as a result. still, the devils are going to have on their roster in 2011-12, some combination of urbom, corrente, josefson, henrique, tedenby, palmieri, eckford, taormina, mcintyre, and so forth, and the average salary of these players is around $725,000. having 6 of these players on the roster is a huge cap savings.

Maybe he'll get pulled over by a cop and they'll just happen to find a big bag of coke under the driver's seat. :whistling:

It is kind of funny. But a little unsettling, too. There's the potential for someting Gillooly-like to happen. I think one of the 233 Crazies is more than capable.

Newsflash!

NEWARK, N.J. -- Brian Rolston of the New Jersey Devils was on the receiving end of a brutal attack yesterday, effectively ending his 2010-11 season and possibly his 2011-12 campaign as well.

According to various eye-witnesses, a man attacked Rolston with what appeared to be a small, metallic musical instrument, repeatedly striking him about the knees while screaming, "You've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

When asked if he knew anything of the circumstances of the attack, Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello said, "Don't worry about my Crazies." He was later seen high-fiving team owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek.

Just prior to the attack, Rolston was seen at a 7-Eleven convenience store. He was attempting to get the last can of Coke from a corner refridgerator, but according to eye-witnesses he got to the corner fridge very slowly and made very little actual effort to get to the can before a different customer swooped in and took it.

"He took his sweet ass time getting there," said a witness who preferred not to be named. "No effort at all. But he did have this look on his face that made it seem like he was trying real hard.

"Then he cried a little, wiped his face with a napkin and missed the trash can by about 20 feet when he tried to throw it away."

Rolston's teammates had various reactions.

"This is irony," said left winger Zach Parise.

"This is cap room," said defenseman Tomas Kaberle, who was acquired by the Devils shortly after Rolston's injury was reported to the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk, whose 17-year, $102 million contract necessitated salary cap-minded moves, said, "This is hilarious."

Newsflash!NEWARK, N.J. -- Brian Rolston of the New Jersey Devils was on the receiving end of a brutal attack yesterday, effectively ending his 2010-11 season and possibly his 2011-12 campaign as well.According to various eye-witnesses, a man attacked Rolston with what appeared to be a small, metallic musical instrument, repeatedly striking him about the knees while screaming, "You've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"When asked if he knew anything of the circumstances of the attack, Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello said, "Don't worry about my Crazies." He was later seen high-fiving team owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek.Just prior to the attack, Rolston was seen at a 7-Eleven convenience store. He was attempting to get the last can of Coke from a corner refridgerator, but according to eye-witnesses he got to the corner fridge very slowly and made very little actual effort to get to the can before a different customer swooped in and took it."He took his sweet ass time getting there," said a witness who preferred not to be named. "No effort at all. But he did have this look on his face that made it seem like he was trying real hard."Then he cried a little, wiped his face with a napkin and missed the trash can by about 20 feet when he tried to throw it away."Rolston's teammates had various reactions."This is irony," said left winger Zach Parise."This is cap room," said defenseman Tomas Kaberle, who was acquired by the Devils shortly after Rolston's injury was reported to the NHL.Ilya Kovalchuk, whose 17-year, $102 million contract necessitated salary cap-minded moves, said, "This is hilarious."

This is gold.POD maybe post of the week. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::hail:

Newsflash!

NEWARK, N.J. -- Brian Rolston of the New Jersey Devils was on the receiving end of a brutal attack yesterday, effectively ending his 2010-11 season and possibly his 2011-12 campaign as well.

According to various eye-witnesses, a man attacked Rolston with what appeared to be a small, metallic musical instrument, repeatedly striking him about the knees while screaming, "You've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

When asked if he knew anything of the circumstances of the attack, Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello said, "Don't worry about my Crazies." He was later seen high-fiving team owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek.

Just prior to the attack, Rolston was seen at a 7-Eleven convenience store. He was attempting to get the last can of Coke from a corner refridgerator, but according to eye-witnesses he got to the corner fridge very slowly and made very little actual effort to get to the can before a different customer swooped in and took it.

"He took his sweet ass time getting there," said a witness who preferred not to be named. "No effort at all. But he did have this look on his face that made it seem like he was trying real hard.

"Then he cried a little, wiped his face with a napkin and missed the trash can by about 20 feet when he tried to throw it away."

Rolston's teammates had various reactions.

"This is irony," said left winger Zach Parise.

"This is cap room," said defenseman Tomas Kaberle, who was acquired by the Devils shortly after Rolston's injury was reported to the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk, whose 17-year, $102 million contract necessitated salary cap-minded moves, said, "This is hilarious."

Lmfao, post of the year!!!