attendance..

Beezer34

Believe me when I say that it was not unprovoked. Drunk guys and girls in Phailure jerseys cursing loudly in front of families with little kids, etc... The guy who got stuff thrown at him was the first one to throw his bottle at someone near my row. Taking things into our own hands when security doesn't have the balls to kick these scumbags out, it's a way of crowd control and partly the reason we're seeing less and less of these dirtbags coming back. They're having some of the worst most embarassing experiences in their short years of hockey/alcoholism and the more we humiliate them after they step out of the line, the less likely they are to come back anytime soon. And the Devils winning consistently is a big help.

That's fair. I have no problem with defending ourselves. I've been at games where our fans harassed people for the crime of wearing an opposition jersey, and not in a fun way. I don't like that. As somebody said, when fans get drunk, they can act like a$$holes and cross the line. I just hope we don't become a fan base that does that now that we have more fans in the building.

I think it's just the fanbase is finally "growing up." Think about it... the Devils showed up into a state divided among the NYR and PHI faithful. They had to carve out a niche of those New Jerseyans with enough pride that they just couldn't root against a team that was billed as "Jersey's team." So you have those folks, and they become fans. As they get older, they have their kids, and those kids turn into Devils fans. Those kids get older, and the fanbase continues to grow outwardly in both directions. Now you've got kids like me who were just in their early teens during the Cup years, getting older (I turn 23 this month) and a lot of us are getting older, getting careers, becoming stable financially and now you're going to see folks like this going to the games. I think this is not "out of the normal." I think it's going to stay like this for a while. And I love it. Personally, I'm finally moving back to Jersey after 3 years in Florida (got stationed in Philly for the next four years!! woo) and I can't wait to finally fulfill a personal / financial goal that I have wanted to achieve since my Dad first brought me to a game in 96' when I was only 6 years old... gonna score those season tickets!! 

Anyway, it's a great time to be a Devils fan right now. Scratch that, it's always been a great time to be a Devils fan. Let's Go Devils!

When its a Flyer fan in a horse head mask, you take the picture

When you said you got the picture I figured you meant online...why would some clown be wearing that?!

Apparently it's an Internet thing.. I didn't know it at the time, I just figured he was being a "jackass"

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/horse-head-mask

Attendance is up a lot league wide, not just for us. I'm enjoying the increased support from the fans lets not get carried away quite yet

Attendance is up league wide.. but no team has progressed from 30th to 19th in the NHL over the last 6 years, the way that the Devils have. What you see is teams jumping this season.. from 28th in the ranks, to 17th.. when it was 28th where they've been ranked since 2008. The upward trajectory in "attendance average" the Devils have had in recent years (13k in 2010.. 14k in 2011.. 15k in 2012.. 17k in 2013, etc) had them already moving up the ranks to 28th.. 24th.. 22nd.. over these past few years, well before the lockout. Assessing the trend, the attendance was going to continue to go up this season for the Devils REGARDLESS of the lockout, given the track-record.

Attendance is up league wide.. but no team has progressed from 30th to 19th in the NHL over the last 6 years, the way that the Devils have. What you see is teams jumping this season.. from 28th in the ranks, to 17th.. when it was 28th where they've been ranked since 2008. The upward trajectory in "attendance average" the Devils have had in recent years (13k in 2010.. 14k in 2011.. 15k in 2012.. 17k in 2013, etc) had them already moving up the ranks to 28th.. 24th.. 22nd.. over these past few years, well before the lockout. Assessing the trend, the attendance was going to continue to go up this season for the Devils REGARDLESS of the lockout, given the track-record.

When were we 30th in the league?

Sure, our attendance was always going up, esp with a new arena and all. But this season's quantum leap like jump in attendance is off the pace for our normal trajectory. Also, so far it looks like many teams league wide have experienced a similar increase. We are also basing this off a very small sample of weeknight games vs non-marquee teams, so that's why I said let's not throw a party quite yet.

I wasn't there since unlike the nearly 20000 people that were, I have to work on President's Day :P

Given the secondary market prices though, I wouldn't have been shocked at a real sellout, the cheapest pair available last night on StubHub/TicketExachange was $70 per ticket!  For a weekday Ottawa game.  Of course there are going to be some giveaway seats - both sth giveaways and the kid vouchers that factored in for the first time - but still an impressive turnout all things considered.

And I do think the Devils rob Peter to pay Paul with the numbers sometimes.  They apparently undersold the Tampa Bay attendance, which seemed to me a bit of a makeup for another stretched sellout.

Edited by NJDevs4978

today was absolutely a made up sellout - probably 16k in the building.

It was pretty close- uppers were filled as usual, it looked like there were quite a few empties scattered in the club seat area (as per ushe). Overall, it was a solid crowd that wanted something to cheer for, but didn't get much. Edited by MadDog2020

I'm convinced they did really well on corporate ticket sales this year. Those boxes and the lowers are usually our weakest link in terms of attendance, and the uppers are almost always full or close to full the past couple years..

Whether or not all the employees for those corporations take advantage of the tickets at their disposal is another issue. I think 95-100% of our tickets ARE selling out game-in and game-out, but all of those lower bowl/box peeps showing up is another story.