After The Loss

Jimmy Leeds

Yes I agree with most everything here. I was at the elimination game at CAA in 99 vs the Pens and I swore then that I would NEVER go to an elimination game again. I remember people in the parking lot burning the towels that were given out and as I walked out with my son we threw ours on the bonfire too.

I was at that game too, actually have only missed one home playoff game since 1994, and that was for my senior prom. THAT game felt worse to me than last night. We were about 2 minutes from round 2 in GAME 6 and lost the series. Pens fans flooded the place for game 7 and they spanked us. I angrily smashed my souvenir cup at the bottom of 223 and swore to my girlfriend that after 1996, 1997, 1998 (I cried when they showed Dano crying on the bench at the end of that series), and now a mammoth choke in 1999, I was done with this team. I wanted Scott Stevens gone. A lot of people did. That's something for the Marty haters to think about.

Well, needless to say I was there for opening night the following October, and ever since. For those newer fans, this series is NOTHING compared to 2001. I still lose sleep over that. The Stanley Cup was IN THE BUILDING, FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR, and for the second straight year we couldn't score a goal. We were all over them for the first ten minutes, then stupid Gomez kicked one in, and the entire team shut down and never recovered. To be on the verge of repeating as Stanley Cup champions and blowing it like that is so far beyond what we went through last night.

I'm pretty much over last night after looking at the big picture. This whole series basically showed how many problems this team has. There were enormous failures on every level: defense, offense, special teams, goaltending, coaching, hockey sense, speed, energy, and killer instinct. Those 1999 and 2001 teams had all of that, and that 2001 team was the greatest, most dominant Devils team in franchise history.

Edited by skeeter

I was at that game too, actually have only missed one home playoff game since 1994, and that was for my senior prom. THAT game felt worse to me than last night. We were about 2 minutes from round 2 in GAME 6 and lost the series. Pens fans flooded the place for game 7 and they spanked us. I angrily smashed my souvenir cup at the bottom of 223 and swore to my girlfriend that after 1996, 1997, 1998 (I cried when they showed Dano crying on the bench at the end of that series), and now a mammoth choke in 1999, I was done with this team. I wanted Scott Stevens gone. A lot of people did. That's something for the Marty haters to think about.

Well, needless to say I was there for opening night the following October, and ever since. For those newer fans, this series is NOTHING compared to 2001. I still lose sleep over that. The Stanley Cup was IN THE BUILDING, FOR THE SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR, and for the second straight year we couldn't score a goal. We were all over them for the first ten minutes, then stupid Gomez kicked one in, and the entire team shut down and never recovered. To be on the verge of repeating as Stanley Cup champions and blowing it like that is so far beyond what we went through last night.

I'm pretty much over last night after looking at the big picture. This whole series basically showed how many problems this team has. There were enormous failures on every level: defense, offense, special teams, goaltending, coaching, hockey sense, speed, energy, and killer instinct. Those 1999 and 2001 teams had all of that, and that 2001 team was the greatest, most dominant Devils team in franchise history.

I agree to a point.

Game 7 in 1994 in OT was a tough way to lose and it stayed with me for a longtime because of who the Devils lost too, but knew this Devils team would be back the following year and years to come. You could just see it. The following year the Devils made it back to the ECF and won, then won their first ever SCC. That first SCC by the Devils somewhat erased all the bad memories of the year before, but not all of them for me.

In 1999 and 2001 were real bad losses and still stays in my mind thinking "what if?" More 2001 which I agree that team was one of the greatest, most dominant Devils team in franchise history. The way they lost Game 6 at the CAA getting shutout 4-0, knowing the SC was in the building for the Devils to possibly win for the second straight year, it all was gone after Game 6. In Game 7 it was just another nightmare losing 3-1 and the SCC, which today still hurts thinking about it and what this Devils team could have accomplished (Dynasty)if they had won Game 6 or even Game 7.

In 1999 it was the same senario with the Devils up 3-2, but Jagr did the Devils in for Game 6 in Pittsburgh with the GWG and then went on to win Game 7 in our building 4-2 and it was a tough time to witness and watch that game end the way it did and the Devils season.

1999 and 2001 were devastating indeed, but the timing was a lot more to see that the Devils were going to lose where this year in Game 7 vs. Carolina, this was more devastating I think they way the Devils lost this game in only the last 1:20 to go in the game where it was looking like the Devils were going to advance to Round 2. It was taken away in 80-seconds and in a span of 48-seconds the Devils season and series was taken away from them. That hurts just as bad as the 99' and 01' years and the way it ended it feels a lot worse right now. This is maybe the worst playoff loss in Devils history the way they lost.

No matter how to compare 94', 99', 01' and 09', they are all tough, devastating losses and will never forget them.

Edited by SatansDevils

Last nights loss hurt a lot and i've moped all around all day, but after reading this thread it made me feel better. There have been worse games and there have been many great things that have happened to the team. I agree with what Colin 226 said..i hope to be a wise Devils fan like you guys some day. I started following the Devils when i was 9 years old (1998-1999 season) and the first playoff experience i got was that loss to the Penguins in game 7 of the quarterfinals. It was very painful to watch and it upset me alot, but over the next few years i would have that top of the world feeling when the Devils won the cup in 2000 and 2003. That's what makes sports great. You experience extreme disappointment one year and you could be tasting all the glory the next year. I will always be a Devils fan and i will always love the team, no matter what happens.

" All glory is fleeting"

What was whispered into the ear of the conquering generals in the glory days of Rome. At least thats what Gen Patton said as porttrayed by Geo.C.Scott...

No matter how to compare 94', 99', 01' and 09', they are all tough, devastating losses and will never forget them.

They are terrible memories that will never go away. Twice though the Devils were able to use them as motivation to win a Cup the following season so lets hope that happens again.

They are terrible memories that will never go away. Twice though the Devils were able to use them as motivation to win a Cup the following season so lets hope that happens again.

Very true. Great things came after those big losses. Lets hope history repeats itself.