New TG post

Z-Man

I still re-watch the play where he set poni up in OT against philly over and over, one of the most incredible shifts i've ever seen a player have in an NJ uniform. Happened on my birthday too. As far as i'm concerned the dude established himself as a warrior this spring.

This 100%

And Dan, your avy is freaking me the hell out lol

I have no source to confirm this but a buddy of mine who has always been reliable with Devils news said that Kovalchuk was suffering from two herniated discs. I have had problems with a herniated disc here and there throughout the past five years and sometimes I can't even walk normally, and this guy was playing hockey at the most rigorous and demanding level while dealing with two of them. Unreal.

To clear up any confusion that might remain from the first page, basically two of the discs in his spine were bulging outwards and at least one of them was pressing against the sciatic nerve. This is known as sciatica. It could be a recurring problem throughout his career but hopefully it will not. It subsides with rest but you can re-aggravate it at any moment if you just twist your back wrong or from a sudden impact. Sometimes physical therapy is necessary. My understanding is that surgery is usually a last resort.

Will we ever learn the truth about Kovalchuk? I don't know. I do know that he was out performed by guys on the forth line right before the Filthadelphia series game were he got sat. Why won't they come out and say what the injury is? This is very "interesting"!

As per a bulging disc or two... My wife got hurt on the job and sucked it up with that injury. She worked thru the incredible pain with a MUCH less salary that involved walking all day, outside, and carrying heavy packages. I wouldn't equate it with a game since she did for much longer than a game and for so much less than Kovalchuk got paid. It irritated her that someone who is making that kind of money coasted a lot. She thought it was Mario Lemieux in disguise at time. My wife also was in tears with the pain, so if in fact he had the bulging discs, I think I can give him some slack, but everyone plays hurt. Look at players who had broken legs, dislocated shoulders, broken ribs and yes bad backs and won the cups. It is about how much you want the cup. I didn't see that in him every shift or every other shift.

On a medical prognosis with the buldging discs... They typically give you a 'local' to numb the spot that was x-rayed or MRI'ed and then inject you with a very long needle that is supposed to numb the spot for months at a time. My wife's first shot didn't work and I'd almost say she was in more pain. The second shot worked much better, but she is still not pain free. She equates it to a sore back, but it is still better than before. Surgery is the next option and the doctor specified that surgery can lead to one of three possible outcomes: 1) you feel 100% better, 2) you feel exactly the same with no relief, but no added pain, and 3) you feel worse with added pain. Clearly nerve endings are still an area in medicine that we know little about healing.

WIth that said, Kovalchuk's future could be anything. He could be sporatic or become as a fragile and vunerable to freak accidents like Drake Berehowsky was (he was hit in the eye by a pic at a Dwight Yoakum concert). As much as I don't like Kovalchuk, this has "uncertainty" for him and the Devils written all over it. We won't know until he leaves the Devils how much form he can regain. It can flair up at anytime for doing a simple a thing as picking something off the floor.

• Like 1

Will we ever learn the truth about Kovalchuk? I don't know. I do know that he was out performed by guys on the forth line right before the Filthadelphia series game were he got sat. Why won't they come out and say what the injury is? This is very "interesting"!

As per a bulging disc or two... My wife got hurt on the job and sucked it up with that injury. She worked thru the incredible pain with a MUCH less salary that involved walking all day, outside, and carrying heavy packages. I wouldn't equate it with a game since she did for much longer than a game and for so much less than Kovalchuk got paid. It irritated her that someone who is making that kind of money coasted a lot. She thought it was Mario Lemieux in disguise at time. My wife also was in tears with the pain, so if in fact he had the bulging discs, I think I can give him some slack, but everyone plays hurt. Look at players who had broken legs, dislocated shoulders, broken ribs and yes bad backs and won the cups. It is about how much you want the cup. I didn't see that in him every shift or every other shift.

On a medical prognosis with the buldging discs... They typically give you a 'local' to numb the spot that was x-rayed or MRI'ed and then inject you with a very long needle that is supposed to numb the spot for months at a time. My wife's first shot didn't work and I'd almost say she was in more pain. The second shot worked much better, but she is still not pain free. She equates it to a sore back, but it is still better than before. Surgery is the next option and the doctor specified that surgery can lead to one of three possible outcomes: 1) you feel 100% better, 2) you feel exactly the same with no relief, but no added pain, and 3) you feel worse with added pain. Clearly nerve endings are still an area in medicine that we know little about healing.

WIth that said, Kovalchuk's future could be anything. He could be sporatic or become as a fragile and vunerable to freak accidents like Drake Berehowsky was (he was hit in the eye by a pic at a Dwight Yoakum concert). As much as I don't like Kovalchuk, this has "uncertainty" for him and the Devils written all over it. We won't know until he leaves the Devils how much form he can regain. It can flair up at anytime for doing a simple a thing as picking something off the floor.

I sincerely doubt your wife put up as much effort as a hockey player who plays 20 minutes + a night did. This is just silly. And there weren't 200 pound + guys wearing equipment hitting her during her shift, either. And she didn't have to strap on skates and do her job on an ice surface.

There's ridiculous and then there's that sentiment.

LOL.

I guess when you want to see something that isn't there you do. You guys make me chuckle about half as much as seeing everyone jump ship from the Devils. I saw it coming. I was wrong about Brodeur, but that was about it. I hope they give the "C" to Kovalchuk so I can find even more reason to dislike him.

I guess when you want to see something that isn't there you do. You guys make me chuckle about half as much as seeing everyone jump ship from the Devils. I saw it coming. I was wrong about Brodeur, but that was about it. I hope they give the "C" to Kovalchuk so I can find even more reason to dislike him.

You should jump ship TO the Devils.

Read your long post, then read this...

I guess when you want to see something that isn't there you do.

mj-laughing.gif

Edited by PWW

I agree the door swings both ways, but why do other fans (NON-Devils supporters) I speak with agree with me? Why don't we talk about his injury or whatever it is he has wrong with him? How about the one game benching? No noe gets well from one game being off unless it wasn't worth resting for to begin with.

Edited by Chorske17

I agree the door swings both ways, but why do other fans (NON-Devils supporters) I speak with agree with me? Why don't we talk about his injury or whatever it is he has wrong with him? How about the one game benching? No noe gets well from one game being off unless it wasn't worth resting for to begin with.

Unless he needed some needles shoved into his spine.... Might need to take a game off for that.

Because they don't follow the Devils closely enough so don't know what they're talking about in this case?

Or they are Rags fans that will make up BS and preach it as truth in an attempt to bash the Devils. I don't understand the conspiracy theories like Chorske is alluding to as it was reported all over the place as the playoffs went on that he was injured and not 100%. Anyone who followed the team or the NHL throughout the regular season and playoffs would have understood this. You could see it in the way he skated and reached for loose pucks that his back was not right.

I just don't get the over the top Kovy hate from some people. The guy has come here, worked hard and changed his game to become a better all-around player. He's the most talented player on the team, and led it in scoring with a herniated disk in his back en route to the SCF. He's not a prima donna like we heard about, is open and available to the media and fans, and seems to be liked by his teammates. What is the problem?

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Yeah, everyone jumped ship. Oh wait, of the free agents the Devils had, Parise and Ponikarovsky left, Hedberg, Brodeur, Salvador, Carter, Gionta, Harrold, and Bernier stayed, and Sykora is undecided. But yes, everyone left, meaning 2 out of 9 free agents. Probably because of Kovalchuk.

Or they are Rags fans that will make up BS and preach it as truth in an attempt to bash the Devils. I don't understand the conspiracy theories like Chorske is alluding to as it was reported all over the place as the playoffs went on that he was injured and not 100%. Anyone who followed the team or the NHL throughout the regular season and playoffs would have understood this. You could see it in the way he skated and reached for loose pucks that his back was not right.

I just don't get the over the top Kovy hate from some people. The guy has come here, worked hard and changed his game to become a better all-around player. He's the most talented player on the team, and led it in scoring with a herniated disk in his back en route to the SCF. He's not a prima donna like we heard about, is open and available to the media and fans, and seems to be liked by his teammates. What is the problem?

His nationality, his style of play, and his contract.

but why do other fans (NON-Devils supporters) I speak with agree with me?

I'm not going to go to the trouble of doing a poll of all hockey fans, but your premise is wrong. Most Ranger fans I talk to, even rabid-Devil haters, will concede that Kovalchuk was great this year. (My Ranger fan uncle said, "I can now tell why the Devils restructured their entire payroll to keep him"). Go to any Ranger message board and you'll see the same thing. Even the group think hockey talking heads have stopped their ranting about Kovalchuk being lazy, selfish, whatever. Hell, even Bobby Holik has come around.

It's quite fair to argue that he's still overpaid and that his production will decline dramatically in too short a time period. But then again, you could say the same thing Parise, Suter, Gaborik, Staal, Nash, Brad Richards, and a lot of other people. Strange that you're not ranting and raving about them.

You clearly have an irrational hatred of Kovy and are willing to ignore all facts and reason in making your point. It might have been cute for about five minutes. Now it's just petulant and stupid. I never thought anyone could overtake LD in that category. Congratulations, you just won the prize.

Sorry about your wife but this is just a completely asinine criticism. When I was dealing with a bulging disc and sciatica I didn't take any time off from work either and I work at a job that involves a lot of time on my feet as well as carrying hockey nets and shoveling snow, yet I was still unable to play in any of my hockey games no matter how badly I wanted to. The quite obvious main differences are that in hockey you have people trying to level you, not to mention all the typical bumps and whacks you get during the normal course of board battles and the like, and you don't have time to be careful about your muscle movements to minimize the pain.