Official "Marty Watch" Thread

Neb00rs

Predictions?

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2014020383&navid=nhl:topheads

Goalie Martin Brodeur will make his debut with St. Louis, coach Ken Hitchcock said after a 4-1 loss Wednesday at the Chicago Blackhawks that was played by Jake Allen.

"I've been waiting for a great opportunity and it came from the Blues," Brodeur said Tuesday. "... I feel good in the net. Until I play games it's going to be hard to tell before that."

"I just want to have fun," Brodeur said. "I've got nothing to prove to myself. I just want to go out and enjoy the season and enjoy the winning way like I was able to do in New Jersey for a lot of years."

Edited by Neb00rs

Should be fun to watch, and see him in a different uniform. Will be interesting to see how much leeway Brodeur gets from the Blues. If he struggles badly for a game or two, is he finished or just rusty? It's a tough ask for any goalie coming in cold without any game action, let alone someone at 42.

Armstrong and Hitchcock want to do Marty a solid, but he's got to play well.

Edited by devilsrule33

I would say I hope it doesn't get ugly for him, but we already saw various degrees of ugly the past four seasons, and especially the last two.  It's his legacy and it's his right to play if he wants to and someone is willing to give him a shot.  And even if he's awful for most of this last chance, it will quickly be forgotten when stacked up against all of his other accomplishments.  The one thing that will hurt him just a little when he's compared to Hasek and Roy is that people will say Hasek and Roy (Roy never declined) knew to leave the game before their games left them.  Brodeur (especially if he fails) will be the one guy who hung on too long.

All this being said, I'm rooting for him.  His quotes (especially last season's) weren't always easy to take, but I could never root against him.  I hope he does well. 

Was just going to post this too.

He will post a shutout and every Devils fan site will explode with people saying we should have signed him, Cory sucks, etc.

I would love to see this, haha...

Even if he posts a shutout, his quotes and behavior last year forced Lou's hand.  Cory is our guy for the future, there is no point in looking back now.  Marty was never going to start for us this year period.  Even if we tried to bring him back as a backup it would have jeopardized/ruined our chance to lock Cory up long term.

He will post a shutout and every Devils fan site will explode with people saying we should have signed him, Cory sucks, etc.

You'll see the "Cory sucks!" thing happen even if the Blues win 6-5.... Don't underestimate these people. They'd use that line we heard last year, "stats don't matter, he gets the team wins."

You'll see the "Cory sucks!" thing happen even if the Blues win 6-5.... Don't underestimate these people. They'd use that line we heard last year, "stats don't matter, he gets the team wins."

That line is used so often to this day its beyond belief. "Duh, well Cory might have .925 save % but he doesn't win duh game!  Cory Sucks!  Mawty forever!"

Good luck trying to explain to them that wins is a team stat but its always a futile attempt.

Marty's comment may be a underhanded jab at what losers the Devils have become...

You're reading way too much into his comment.

And as for stats, there is only 1 that truly matters to me and that is wins. It is absolutely a team stat, especially in the ultimate team sport that hockey is. The problem here isn't Cory, but the fact that the team as it is currently constructed just stinks. When the adjectives most people use to describe your hockey team are old and slow, that team is pretty much f'd in today's NHL.

and then get lit up by the Islanders Saturday in front of all the Brodeur-zombies making the trip out there :lol:

and then get lit up by the Islanders Saturday in front of all the Brodeur-zombies making the trip out there :lol:

I wish Brodeur well but damn am I wishing for this too.  Not against Marty at all, this is 100% just to shut up those fans who can't let go of him.  There are many fans who I see are making the trip out there to watch Brodeur try to pad his ego further by going after 700 wins.

I just find it funny how people have for years been saying he is all about the team and yadda yadda but then when it is clear he is shot as a goalie defend him on his quest to inflate his stats even further.  I said a couple times last year if Brodeur would have gotten 700 wins last year he would quit, but no he must continue on his little ego trip to get to 700.  It is all about Marty and always was.

Edit: I also wonder if Brodeur does get lit up if skeeter will show his face around here.  My money is on that he won't.

Edited by DevsMan84

I wish Brodeur well but damn am I wishing for this too.  Not against Marty at all, this is 100% just to shut up those fans who can't let go of him.  There are many fans who I see are making the trip out there to watch Brodeur try to pad his ego further by going after 700 wins.

I just find it funny how people have for years been saying he is all about the team and yadda yadda but then when it is clear he is shot as a goalie defend him on his quest to inflate his stats even further.  I said a couple times last year if Brodeur would have gotten 700 wins last year he would quit, but no he must continue on his little ego trip to get to 700.  It is all about Marty and always was.

Edit: I also wonder if Brodeur does get lit up if skeeter will show his face around here.  My money is on that he won't.

If anything it would stop all the delusonists out there and get people back on to the reality that this is a guy just barely hanging on who can't admit its over, and it's gonna take a MASSIVE dose of humble pie for him to realize this

(and dammit I'm annoyed because his last shot he faced as a Devil ended up in the back of the net, it seemed a fitting end for someone who's time has come and gone.....father time wins, and is still undefeated :P )

I really don't feel like 700 is what's keeping him going...I think it's simply a case of that he thinks he can still perform and still be effective.  And like Crash states, sadly it's probably going to take his play getting Mikka Kiprusoff-at-the-end ugly before he'll call it quits.  I think if Roy had a season like Marty's 2013-14, he probably would've retired immediately after the season, if not during it...never to return.  Ditto Hasek. 

Like many have said, it's his choice, but I don't see anything to suggest he'll be remotely good for more than a random game here and there.  I think ultimately this is not going to be pretty...but considering all that he did here, I will never root for that.  I'll always be in his corner. 

I really don't feel like 700 is what's keeping him going...I think it's simply a case of that he thinks he can still perform and still be effective.  And like Crash states, sadly it's probably going to take his play getting Mikka Kiprusoff-at-the-end ugly before he'll call it quits.  I think if Roy had a season like Marty's 2013-14, he probably would've retired immediately after the season, if not during it...never to return.  Ditto Hasek. 

Like many have said, it's his choice, but I don't see anything to suggest he'll be remotely good for more than a random game here and there.  I think ultimately this is not going to be pretty...but considering all that he did here, I will never root for that.  I'll always be in his corner. 

If Brodeur would have gotten 700 last season, I bet anything he would've retired.  I really do think that is what is keeping him going.  He is about 12-13 wins away from 700 and let's say he wins only 2 games with the Blues on 5-10 starts.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if he is in the same position next season where he is looking for a team to take in him so he can limp his way to 700.  He said it himself his aim is to get to 700.