‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

I guess this writer is correct since we lost in the opening round 4-1 against the Flyers. Oh Wait!

Technically they lost 4-2 ;) But I only put that up to show what the homers in Pittsburgh are saying.

Per Dreger:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger: Expect the Penguins to announce Sidney Crosby's contract extension on Sunday. Over $100 million dollars with an AAV of close to $9 mil per.

Significant in that it gives a sense of what cap hit the Pens could take for Parise/Suter and the market price for Parise.

Since cap room isn't a problem at all, is there a way to.. I dunno, convince parise to take a little bit of money the next year but havbe his contract raised significantly following next season since, well, we only have 4 total players signed through that year?

Something like:

12-13: 4m

13-14: 8m

15-16: 10m

16-17: 10m

17-18: 10m

18-19: 8m

19-20: 4m

20-21: 4m

8y/56m: 7.000m cap hit

not happening, lowest you will see is 6 for next year...

Per Dreger:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger: Expect the Penguins to announce Sidney Crosby's contract extension on Sunday. Over $100 million dollars with an AAV of close to $9 mil per.

Significant in that it gives a sense of what cap hit the Pens could take for Parise/Suter and the market price for Parise.

Nah, this changes nothing. Crosby's cap hit is the same. Doesn't affect Parise's market price.

#1 - no way Zach doesn't wait until July 1st to see what offers are out there. That doesn't mean he will or will not re-sign, but it doesn't make sense not to wait 3 weeks.

#2 - if over 30+ guys like Richards, Briere, Marleau, Thornton, Heatley and Gaborik all have contracts/cap hits between $6.6 and $7.5, Zach's STARTING point is going to be $7.5 million. That's basically the market for a potential franchise guy who isn't even 28 yet.

well thats taking in account bad contracts, but you gotta look at guys with similar skills set and smaller cap hit like datyuk, mike richards etc etc

Did you ask?

Yeah, I talked to him last night. He said that he got 6 last year and wouldn't take any less per year because he is used to 6 mill income now and doesn't think he is worth less than that. He said also with starting a family that he wouldn't want to take a pay cut.

well thats taking in account bad contracts, but you gotta look at guys with similar skills set and smaller cap hit like datyuk, mike richards etc etc

There's a saying in the NFL, you're only as smart as the dumbest GM in the league. Whether someone else got a "bad" contract is irrelevant.

Nah, this changes nothing. Crosby's cap hit is the same. Doesn't affect Parise's market price.

Whatever his cap hit is affects what the Pens can spend on other free agents, for better or worse.

What the best player in the league gets, tends to affect what other players get.

I think he means it's significant because it gives a better estimation of the money the Pens have to add a guy like Parise or Weber

But it doesn't. Sid's cap hit was already $8.7M. The idea that he was coming in lower than his cap hit was absurd. So he's coming in at the same or slightly higher. Changes nothing.

It does make sense he wouldn't want to take a paycut at 'this' point in his career, though ironically I think Kovy did since he was making slightly north of $6 million in Atlanta then got $6 million even the first couple years of his deal. Zach can do the same thing and not take a paycut, at least until later in his career when he'd just about have to take a cut anyway.

6-6-11-11-11-7.5-5-2.5

8-60...that's I think your best-case scenario.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The traumas of starting a married life with a $6 million income for one year before it gets raised to 9. How would he survive?

Look, all I was saying 'in my opinion' there is no way Parise would take 4 mil in real money after he made 6 this year. 6M this year can be seen as reasonable, but i'd eat my shoe if he took 4M in real money this year. Its just my opinion though.

Look, all I was saying 'in my opinion' there is no way Parise would take 4 mil in real money after he made 6 this year. 6M this year can be seen as reasonable, but i'd eat my shoe if he took 4M in real money this year. Its just my opinion though.

Yeah I agree. Between 4 million and 6 million you're still obviously very wealthy but it would still be a 33% pay cut.

while i know that Parise will "likely" got go to july 1st... i like how reporters just IGNORE the possibility of him resigning before that even if both the team and Zach said they'd like to get a deal done before that.

per Russo from the Wild

"The Wild's contract offer to Parise on Sunday will be, let's just say, absolutely colossal."

its no big deal really but during the whole article he's absolutely ignoring any chance of NJ to re-sign him eventhough thats what both sides are saying.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/160694815.html

I love how there's not even a peep about Suter in the media for fear of tampering, but everyone can't wait to comment on Zach.

i'd be shocked if there's not "at least" investigations going on about it...

the wild found a way to let it CLEARLY known about how long they are willing to give him and roughly how much and that it would be a colossal offer bigger than what any team could give.

then its been reported that Crosby has been trying to lure Zach in Pittsburgh

in other cases you have Toews trying to lure Doan in Chicago...

i don't get how this is not tampering eventhough its not technically dealing with the client... but in my opinion... getting your playings to talk DIRECTLY to a guy to lure him or get numbers out by the media is way more tampering than Wilson saying they'd be interested to the Sedins in a press conference...

ridiculous

I love how there's not even a peep about Suter in the media for fear of tampering, but everyone can't wait to comment on Zach.

All of the arguable tampering is coming from one place . . . Minnesota. There's no league-wide chatter on what other teams will offer Parise. The Penguins have come the closest, but did not cross the line like Minnesota did, at least in my mind -- a former team executive who still has close ties to the team stating publicly that it won't get outbid.

i'd be shocked if there's not "at least" investigations going on about it...

the wild found a way to let it CLEARLY known about how long they are willing to give him and roughly how much and that it would be a colossal offer bigger than what any team could give.

then its been reported that Crosby has been trying to lure Zach in Pittsburgh

in other cases you have Toews trying to lure Doan in Chicago...

i don't get how this is not tampering eventhough its not technically dealing with the client... but in my opinion... getting your playings to talk DIRECTLY to a guy to lure him or get numbers out by the media is way more tampering than Wilson saying they'd be interested to the Sedins in a press conference...

ridiculous

You only have rumors of players giving UFAs to be sales pitches. In the Wild's case, the tampering, or at least the evidence of tampering, is indisputable.

You only have rumors of players giving UFAs to be sales pitches. In the Wild's case, the tampering, or at least the evidence of tampering, is indisputable.

Regardless of what happens with Parise, I want Lou all over this. I hope he's already filed the paperwork.

What paperwork would he file? You people do realize it took the Devils ages to get the league to confirm that Stevens was tampered with, right? And that's because Stevens WANTED to go back to St. Louis. We don't even have any idea what Zach actually wants to do. This isn't tampering.

What paperwork would he file? You people do realize it took the Devils ages to get the league to confirm that Stevens was tampered with, right? And that's because Stevens WANTED to go back to St. Louis. We don't even have any idea what Zach actually wants to do. This isn't tampering.

The other way around you do realize that Toronto got a fine for tampering cause Wilson said "You're hearing right now — and this sounds very contradictory — but there is a real possibility I would think that we would be going after the Sedins. Let's just speculate there" on the radio.

But it doesn't. Sid's cap hit was already $8.7M. The idea that he was coming in lower than his cap hit was absurd. So he's coming in at the same or slightly higher. Changes nothing.

On the other hand, with the cap going up Crosby's % of the cap space he eats up lowers slightly. Obviously, this could be different when the new CBA comes out.

The other way around you do realize that Toronto got a fine for tampering cause Wilson said "You're hearing right now — and this sounds very contradictory — but there is a real possibility I would think that we would be going after the Sedins. Let's just speculate there" on the radio.

Wilson was the coach of the Leafs at the time, that's different than some guy saying I had a conversation with a person from the team and he said "whatever". You'd need a smoking gun, like an email where the GM said he told someone to specifically leak the information to the media, and you won't get that email unless the league investigates, and you likely can't get an investigation started without hard evidence, so it's a catch 22.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.