#1022 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi Bulletproof!

Howdy! Feel weird, as I haven't been posting naything in here for easily months. Still doing reviews, but I've been taking a break due to my podcast and fiction writing. Haven't seen mnay movies in theaters, though, as there's nothing good out, even in the indie sphere. My girlfriend has mentoined seeing Thre Stooges, so I may see that. If it stinks, at least it's a bad review I can write!
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#1023 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Howdy! Feel weird, as I haven't been posting naything in here for easily months. Still doing reviews, but I've been taking a break due to my podcast and fiction writing. Haven't seen mnay movies in theaters, though, as there's nothing good out, even in the indie sphere. My girlfriend has mentoined seeing Thre Stooges, so I may see that. If it stinks, at least it's a bad review I can write!

Do the review on the controversial Kate Upton's Nun Bikini crap or whatever!

#1024 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Before this thread sinks into oblivion, I figured I'd try a quick ressurection. Summer movie season is right around the corner. What's everybody looking forward to this season?
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#1025 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sometimes in between all the exciting playoff hockey, it's nice to catch a good movie. Last night, Saturday, I caught a really good one that I had never seen before.

Posted Image

#1026 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Summer movie season is right around the corner. What's everybody looking forward to this season?

"Prometheus"
"The Avengers"
"The Dark Knight Rises"
"Brave"
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1027 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

I saw the avengers yesterday and really enjoyed it.

There are some incredibly funny moments in that movie, and some excellent comic timing, but the action in it is also really good.

For a movie that is 2 hours and 22 minutes long it flew by.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#1028 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,344 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

CroMag -- Brave? You must have daughters. My daughter is chomping at the bit to see that one.

I'm here for the party

#1029 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

CroMag -- Brave? You must have daughters. My daughter is chomping at the bit to see that one.

My oldest daughter wants to see it. But, truth be told, I enjoy most of what Pixar puts out. The "Cars" movies are the only exception, off the top of my head. But I loved all the "Toy Story" films, "Wall-E," "Ratatouille," "Up!", "Finding Nemo," "Last House On The Left", uhhh...

Wait, that last one wasn't Pixar. Scratch that.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#1030 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I hate to be the wet blanket in this, but I'm really questioning how good Brave is going to be. Pixar is at their best when they were independent, making great stories with great characters. Brave looks a little too Disney to me. I'm sure I'll still see it, but I'm hoping it livs up to the other Pixar classics.

Also, I'm with NJ, I'm pretty stoked about Prometheus, Dark Knight and the Avengers. Early reviews of the Avengers have been outstanding, so I'm looking forward to it.
Posted Image

#1031 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I just saw 5-Year Engagement. Funny, but also thought-provoking. Definitely not the chick-flick romantic comedy you might think it will be when you see the title.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#1032 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I just saw 5-Year Engagement. Funny, but also thought-provoking. Definitely not the chick-flick romantic comedy you might think it will be when you see the title.

Good to hear. The posters makes it looks exactly that, but I'm glad to hear it has more than the standard rom-com beats and gags. May have to check it out at some point.
Posted Image

#1033 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

So, anybody get out to see this little independent art-house movie called "Avengers" this weekend?

I did. I enjoyed it. Good mix of action and humor. Storyline was about what I was expecting, though.

It'd be nice to see this "little engine that could" turn a profit, but I have my doubts.

#1034 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

So, anybody get out to see this little independent art-house movie called "Avengers" this weekend?

I did. I enjoyed it. Good mix of action and humor. Storyline was about what I was expecting, though.

It'd be nice to see this "little engine that could" turn a profit, but I have my doubts.

Hilarious. Have plans to see it next week. Really looking forward to it! Going to see that animated Pirates movie with the lady this week. Ahhh, the things you do when you're in love but reviews have actually been good, so I'm looking forward to it!
Posted Image

#1035 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

Randomly watched an independent movie called "Another Earth". It was brilliant in my opinion, not really a sci fi movie but more of a drama. I recommend it if you are ever bored one night.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1036 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Randomly watched an independent movie called "Another Earth". It was brilliant in my opinion, not really a sci fi movie but more of a drama. I recommend it if you are ever bored one night.

Another Earth got very good reviews, just missed it when it was out in theaters. Looking forward to seeing it soon1
Posted Image

#1037 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

Another Earth got very good reviews, just missed it when it was out in theaters. Looking forward to seeing it soon1

You will either love it or hate it. I absolutely loved it :D

Great acting in it as well and the budget was only $200,000. I love these kind of movies more than those hundred million dollar budget summer blockbuster fiasco stuff haha.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1038 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Speaking of hundred million dollar blockbusters.....

New Movie Review

The Avengers

When The Avengers project was first announced after the success of 2008's Iron Man, comic book fans rejoiced. This wasn't going to be some slapdash tale of a super team fighting baddies. This was going to be something more, something larger than life. Three films followed: Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America. Having seen all these movies, Captain in August of last year, I realized The Avengers could be a smashing success, so long as they two things right. One, give the team a very strong antagonist and two, build the team in a natural way without wasting time on individual character development. That's what the movies were for. Now, over a billion dollars in box office sales later, I can safely say director Joss Whedon and company did just that and so much more. The Avengers isn't just the best summer opening film I've seen in years, it's one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Forgive the plot summation as I imagine 90% of you have seen this already, but here goes. Loki, brother of Thor, has snagged control of the mystical Tesseract, an artifact that holds near limitless power. His aim? To become the ruler of all rulers, starting with the pitiful mortals than inhabit planet Earth. In response to this new threat, S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) activates the "Avenger Initiative", bringing together Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the newly thawed Captain America (Chris Evans), Mr. Anger Management Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) and billionaire playboy Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.). Together, with the help of some of the lesser known Avengers crew, such as Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), the team works to stop Loki's extraterrestrial forces from invading planet Earth.

The biggest success of the film is the natural development of the Avengers team. Rather than everybody coming together for the common good, there's some drama on the squad. Tony Stark and Captain America face off, Thor finds us Earthlings surprisingly petty and Hulk is just trying to keep from getting pissed. There's natural tension here, expertly woven in Joss Whedon's fantastic screenplay. This tension helps give us something to care about, making the team cohesion even more exciting in the film's third act. It's also worth noting that the previous movies are not required viewing to enjoy this, but if you haven't seen at least the Iron Man flicks, the characters may come off a little flat. Of course, this is done by design and Whedon does a great job on focusing on the characters developed in the films and leaving the other members of the team to true supporting roles. In fact, you could call this Iron Man 2.5, but that's a wise choice as Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark is easily the strongest character in the troupe.

The rest of the cast does a fine job in the roles given. Hemsworth is likeable as the Asgardian Thor, Mike Ruffalo is an excellent choice to replace Edward Norton's Hulk and even Captain America, I character I found one noted in his feature length, develops nicely thanks to his run ins with Tony Stark. Loki is also a very smart choice as the main villain. Given his familial back story with Thor, his conquest has weight, especially given the events of their feature film. Again, those who haven't seen Thor may find Loki to a bit over the top, but I found the antagonist interesting and gripping. Even Sam Jackson, who only made small appearances in the credit scenes of the original movies, find plenty to work with as the devious but well meaning Nick Fury. The cast is unilaterally well chosen and work great together.

Of course, this is a summer action movie. Most filmgoers aren't looking for a slice of life drama, they're looking for heart stopping action. Marvel movies are known for their big bangs and The Avengers is no exception. Literally every fifteen minutes, something awesome is happening, whether it's the surprising reveal of the Avengers base or Iron Man screaming along the Manhattan skyline. Everything culminates in the third act, which is essentially one long battle sequence and while you might find yourself tiring after the twentieth minute, Whedon brings you right back to the action with more kick-assery. The film also features some classic Joss Whedon humor. Full of quips and jokes, the levity in The Avengers always works and gives the film a very distinct feel.

In short, The Avengers is just that. Fun. Fun characters doing awesome things in defense of our petty little planet, Joss Whedon's first major studio film is a stylish and exciting homerun. Usually around this time, I start looking at the summer lineup with a hint of dismay. Loud movies made by money hungry studios, all searching for their piece of the hot weather audience. These movies are usually dumb and fitfully entertaining, a perfect opportunity to get in out of the heat and turn your brain off for two hours. Joss Whedon's Avengers redefines that stereotype, providing an intelligent, honest and fully enjoyable film going experience everybody should see on the big screen. Last year, I had some mental guidelines for the success of this Marvel mashup and thanks to smart writing, good direction and an excellent cast, The Avengers more than lives up to the hype.

Score - 9 out of 10
Posted Image

#1039 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Did you get a chance to watch it yet :evil:

Edited by Zubie#8, 01 June 2012 - 09:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1040 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Did you get a chance to watch it yet :evil:

Not just yet, Zubs! Between playoff hockey and other movies I need to watch / review, just haven't had a chance. It's on the list!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users