Brodeur on the cover of NHL14 !!!

roomtemp

I mean come on he's the greatest goalie to play the game why the hell can't he get on the cover for his last year? Its got to happen

----------------

http://covervote.nhl.com/#/ballot

One per team and then they have like 2 wildcards that some how make the next round of 32

Edited by msweet
Added in link for voting

Why would a video game franchise put the current worst goalie in the league on its cover?

C'mon man, you are getting ridiculous with the hatred.  The worst goalie?  There's guys who have been worse, but that's not the point.  Marty has been one of the elite goalies for a very long time, incredibly consistent and durable, right up to the '09-'10 season.  His save% through that year actually IMPROVED after the lockout...you know, the lockout that was supposed to "expose" him.  No, the last few years haven't been as good, and he's clearly not what he was...even the most ardent Brodeur supporters (like me) won't argue that, and though I know it's probably not going to happen, I really wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur retire after this season.  For one, I don't think he has anything left to prove.  For another, based on the last three years, I don't see how he's going to play much better than he is right now (even factoring in his overall good play in the SCF run last season), and his current level of play simply isn't good enough for a team that sadly looks like it's going to need elite play from that position to compete in the short term.

This is how it tends to go with the big names and the all-time greats...they have a hard time accepting that they're not what they were, but if you're going to blame Marty for that, you can blame Lou too...it was probably a bit of a "lifetime achievement" contract on Lou's part, giving Marty a two-year deal, but when you consider all Marty has done for the organization since his career took off, I don't know how you can grow to blast him with such hatred over and over.  All you have to do is look at a team like the Flyers...look at all of the "Number 1" goalies they've had since Marty became the man for NJ.  You had almost two decades where you knew who your starting goalie was going to be, and you knew that, just about every season, you were going to get good-to-great play from that position.  He had some years that were better than others, but you never had to suffer through a bad Marty season when he was in his prime, and that prime lasted from 1993 to 2010, with almost no injuries to boot.  There isn't a team in the NHL who wouldn't have KILLED to have had a guy like that, a guy who was so friggin' dependable and durable. 

Yeah, sadly, it's starting to get a little ugly, but like I've said in other threads, part of what makes the greats what they are is what probably makes them stubborn towards the end of their careers.  I'm guessing if you were able to ask Marty if he still thought he's got something left and can have a better season in '13-'14, he'd tell you yes, absolutely.  His believing that will probably put Lou and the franchise in an awkward position next year, and if Marty starts slowly next year, the vultures are going to start circling, calling Marty selfish, delusional, washed-up, etc...that would be painful to watch, but just like when perenially good teams tend to crash hard and ugly, the same thing tends to happen with the all-time greats. 

Instead of taking the "What have you done for me lately?" approach, take a step back and realize how lucky you were to have a guy like Marty play for your team for so long.  A guy who gave you everything he had on the ice, and tried to do his best by the organization off it.  No, he wasn't always perfect, but perfection doesn't exist.  Very soon the Devils will be another team that could be living year-to-year with their goalies...maybe we'll get lucky and the Devils will find another long-term goalie they can count on for a while, but good luck finding a guy who's capable of appearing in 70+ games in 12 different seasons, helping his team win multiple Cups, and who was certain skillsets so strong and dominating that the NHL will feel the need to make rule changes to minimize those skills.   

If you're not happy with Marty's current level of play, that's one thing, but to be so flat-out disrespectful and mean-spirited about it...I don't get that at all.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I actually really want Marty to get the cover. It's surprising after all the years he was never the NHL cover athlete. Especially since they picked turco and vanbiesbrouck over him. I agree he's been really bad this year but I think it should be more of a tribute to his entire career. He's really the greatest of all time, it would really be great if they could acknowledge a great in what is most likely his last year.

yeah -- I vote for Henrique  :evil:

Martin Brodeur is our generation's (hockey) Michael Jordan. You would never see a Chicago Bull fan disrespecting Jordan the way some Devils fans on here crap on Marty. It's embarrassing, really...

Oh come on!  Jordan saved humiliating himself for the baseball park ---  :angry:  We get to show a little disrespect now and again. yeesh.

Martin Brodeur is our generation's (hockey) Michael Jordan. You would never see a Chicago Bull fan disrespecting Jordan the way some Devils fans on here crap on Marty. It's embarrassing, really...

Don't know if Michael Jordan is the right comparison.  Wayne Gretzky/Michael Jordan is a better one...two guys who were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else.  Brodeur detractors would probably point out that Jordan won championships with not-overwhelming supporting casts, while Brodeur may have benefitted from having a terrific defense during the championship years, and a organizational blueprint that was clearly geared to defensive hockey (though the Devils often scored more goals than is commonly believed).  And there has been some pretty awesome players who played different positions in this generation, along with Brodeur.  If you asked a number of hockey fans "Who's the greatest goalie of this generation?", some would say Brodeur, some would say Hasek, and others would say Roy.  Roy supporters would probably say he was just a little more clutch than Marty, and Hasek guys would point to his often (for that era) off-the-charts save%s for Buffalo teams that weren't that great (led the league for 6 straight years in that category), along with his six Vezinas and three Harts.    

Though Brodeur was clearly the best puck-handler ever to play his position, I don't know if he can be called the best goalie ever...clearly it's debatable.  Most durable?  Definitely.  Longest prime?  That too.  He was good-to-great for a very long time...the only year that I remember losing a little confidence in him was the 2000-01 season...that team's scoring covered up for him a lot, but Brodeur was pretty ordinary that season, and flat-out shaky at times during the playoffs.  I think there have been guys who have played as well or better, or were better pure puck-stoppers (look at Hasek's save%s compared to Brodeur's), but no one was ever as consistent and steady for as long as Marty was, or able to play in so many games effectively.   

But yeah, this fanbase can be pretty harsh with Brodeur, and I don't really get why...maybe his quotes don't always come across well, but not so much that his own fans should call him Fatso or rip on him the way they do.  Even with his recent decline, he still played pretty well during last year's Cup playoff run...at the very least, that should have bought him some leniency with the bashers. 

Don't know if Michael Jordan is the right comparison.  Wayne Gretzky/Michael Jordan is a better one...two guys who were clearly head and shoulders above everyone else.  Brodeur detractors would probably point out that Jordan won championships with not-overwhelming supporting casts, while Brodeur may have benefitted from having a terrific defense during the championship years, and a organizational blueprint that was clearly geared to defensive hockey (though the Devils often scored more goals than is commonly believed).  And there has been some pretty awesome players who played different positions in this generation, along with Brodeur.  If you asked a number of hockey fans "Who's the greatest goalie of this generation?", some would say Brodeur, some would say Hasek, and others would say Roy.  Roy supporters would probably say he was just a little more clutch than Marty, and Hasek guys would point to his often (for that era) off-the-charts save%s for Buffalo teams that weren't that great (led the league for 6 straight years in that category), along with his six Vezinas and three Harts.    

Though Brodeur was clearly the best puck-handler ever to play his position, I don't know if he can be called the best goalie ever...clearly it's debatable.  Most durable?  Definitely.  Longest prime?  That too.  He was good-to-great for a very long time...the only year that I remember losing a little confidence in him was the 2000-01 season...that team's scoring covered up for him a lot, but Brodeur was pretty ordinary that season, and flat-out shaky at times during the playoffs.  I think there have been guys who have played as well or better, or were better pure puck-stoppers (look at Hasek's save%s compared to Brodeur's), but no one was ever as consistent and steady for as long as Marty was, or able to play in so many games effectively.   

But yeah, this fanbase can be pretty harsh with Brodeur, and I don't really get why...maybe his quotes don't always come across well, but not so much that his own fans should call him Fatso or rip on him the way they do.  Even with his recent decline, he still played pretty well during last year's Cup playoff run...at the very least, that should have bought him some leniency with the bashers. 

I rarely disagree with CR1976.  Another spot on post. 

I will admit I have been pretty hard on Brodeur in the past.  You have even called me out on it a few times before and you were right about it.  I was being pretty unfair to him.

I think what it stems from is for 2 big reasons: 1) I am used to how he played in the late 90's and early 2000's.  I do remember the days of Billington, Terreri and co but when Brodeur came along I guess I just got so used to the stability in net that anything else than being excellent was terrible.  2) Brodeur was just never one of my favorite players to begin with.  Cannot explain why or what he did, but just never was one of my favorite Devils.  Hell if I would name my favorite Devils all time in a list, he wouldn't be in the top 10 and might not even be in my top 20.  I guess that is another reason why I probably do not hesitate as much to criticize or even sometimes bash him.  Elias is my favorite Devil player ever, so even when he is not doing well and realize it, I still go out of my way to defend him.  It is just natural to defend your favorite players no matter what and bash those you never built a sort of fan-player connection with.

I will admit I have been pretty hard on Brodeur in the past.  You have even called me out on it a few times before and you were right about it.  I was being pretty unfair to him.

I think what it stems from is for 2 big reasons: 1) I am used to how he played in the late 90's and early 2000's.  I do remember the days of Billington, Terreri and co but when Brodeur came along I guess I just got so used to the stability in net that anything else than being excellent was terrible.  2) Brodeur was just never one of my favorite players to begin with.  Cannot explain why or what he did, but just never was one of my favorite Devils.  Hell if I would name my favorite Devils all time in a list, he wouldn't be in the top 10 and might not even be in my top 20.  I guess that is another reason why I probably do not hesitate as much to criticize or even sometimes bash him.  Elias is my favorite Devil player ever, so even when he is not doing well and realize it, I still go out of my way to defend him.  It is just natural to defend your favorite players no matter what and bash those you never built a sort of fan-player connection with.

We all connect with different players.  For me, it was Johnny Mac, which is why that coaching stint was especially hard for me to watch.  After that, my favorites vary.  Brodeur is way up there for obvious reasons.  I was a huge Rafalski fan when he was here.  Chico in the early days, just because I felt so bad for him, and was amazed by the fact that he smiled through it all.  Claude Lemieux too.  And Daneyko.   

We all connect with different players.  For me, it was Johnny Mac, which is why that coaching stint was especially hard for me to watch.  After that, my favorites vary.  Brodeur is way up there for obvious reasons.  I was a huge Rafalski fan when he was here.  Chico in the early days, just because I felt so bad for him, and was amazed by the fact that he smiled through it all.  Claude Lemieux too.  And Daneyko.   

I'm a big Johnny Mac fan too so it was hard to see him fail so spectacularly.  Glad he has a job at least somewhere after that.

Other than Elias, I also am big fans of Claude Lemieux, Mike Peluso, Niedermayer, Andy Greene, Kovy, Broten, Daneyko, Stevens and Beezer.

Johnny Mac was my favorite as a kid. I don't know who doesn't love Elias, but he's probably my favorite player at the moment. He's clearly 10X smarter than everyone else. Sometimes he makes a pass so good, it gets to the other guy and he still has no idea what's going on(Clarkson).

C'mon man, you are getting ridiculous with the hatred.  The worst goalie?  There's guys who have been worse, but that's not the point.  Marty has been one of the elite goalies for a very long time, incredibly consistent and durable, right up to the '09-'10 season.  His save% through that year actually IMPROVED after the lockout...you know, the lockout that was supposed to "expose" him.  No, the last few years haven't been as good, and he's clearly not what he was...even the most ardent Brodeur supporters (like me) won't argue that, and though I know it's probably not going to happen, I really wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur retire after this season.  For one, I don't think he has anything left to prove.  For another, based on the last three years, I don't see how he's going to play much better than he is right now (even factoring in his overall good play in the SCF run last season), and his current level of play simply isn't good enough for a team that sadly looks like it's going to need elite play from that position to compete in the short term.

This is how it tends to go with the big names and the all-time greats...they have a hard time accepting that they're not what they were, but if you're going to blame Marty for that, you can blame Lou too...it was probably a bit of a "lifetime achievement" contract on Lou's part, giving Marty a two-year deal, but when you consider all Marty has done for the organization since his career took off, I don't know how you can grow to blast him with such hatred over and over.  All you have to do is look at a team like the Flyers...look at all of the "Number 1" goalies they've had since Marty became the man for NJ.  You had almost two decades where you knew who your starting goalie was going to be, and you knew that, just about every season, you were going to get good-to-great play from that position.  He had some years that were better than others, but you never had to suffer through a bad Marty season when he was in his prime, and that prime lasted from 1993 to 2010, with almost no injuries to boot.  There isn't a team in the NHL who wouldn't have KILLED to have had a guy like that, a guy who was so friggin' dependable and durable. 

Yeah, sadly, it's starting to get a little ugly, but like I've said in other threads, part of what makes the greats what they are is what probably makes them stubborn towards the end of their careers.  I'm guessing if you were able to ask Marty if he still thought he's got something left and can have a better season in '13-'14, he'd tell you yes, absolutely.  His believing that will probably put Lou and the franchise in an awkward position next year, and if Marty starts slowly next year, the vultures are going to start circling, calling Marty selfish, delusional, washed-up, etc...that would be painful to watch, but just like when perenially good teams tend to crash hard and ugly, the same thing tends to happen with the all-time greats. 

Instead of taking the "What have you done for me lately?" approach, take a step back and realize how lucky you were to have a guy like Marty play for your team for so long.  A guy who gave you everything he had on the ice, and tried to do his best by the organization off it.  No, he wasn't always perfect, but perfection doesn't exist.  Very soon the Devils will be another team that could be living year-to-year with their goalies...maybe we'll get lucky and the Devils will find another long-term goalie they can count on for a while, but good luck finding a guy who's capable of appearing in 70+ games in 12 different seasons, helping his team win multiple Cups, and who was certain skillsets so strong and dominating that the NHL will feel the need to make rule changes to minimize those skills.   

If you're not happy with Marty's current level of play, that's one thing, but to be so flat-out disrespectful and mean-spirited about it...I don't get that at all.   

Very well put. From reading what Marty has said about this team recently I feel he through Lou and the team under the bus. I for one wish he would retire now but I know he won't and his present performance will hurt the team next season. He has been on a steady decline. I do blame Lou for part of this, he should have demanded that Marty not play so many games and had a replacement in place to be the backup until the switch. Too late for that now.

Madden put Brett fvcking Favre as a Jet on their cover.

What happened was he retired, they put him on as a Packer, he unretired, got traded, then they made an alt cover with him in a Jet uniform, then he was released, signed with the Vikings and would have won the Super Bowl if the refs had a fvcking spine and didn't let the Saints cheap shot and give them every call in OT and earlier to help them win that game.

I think some of these current Marty haters will be reflecting on how good we had it with Marty if we don't find a stable starting goalie. Just look at the Flyers, they haven't had a legit number one goalie since hextall. If that isn't a reminder to be careful for what you wish for I don't know what is.

I'm a marty lover though, it will be a sad day for me when #30 isn't protecting our crease anymore. He helped bring us 3 cups and to 5 finals. How any Devils fan can't at least respect him for that is a complete joke. You can argue he should retire and be against him playing anymore but you should always respect what he has done for this franchise.