Romney on the 47%

squishyx

src

I'm not really surprised he feels this way, I am surprised he vocalized it. Sure he probably didn't think it would be recorded but what is there to gain by making this statement in a room full of people who are supporting / donating to you anyway?

If the networks carry this clip, I think Romney may have done himself in. It may have happened early enough in the election season to be forgotton about, but he was already behind the 8-ball, this is going to hurt him.

Well, considering the media was caught themelves on audio plotting against Romney, any misttep and the media will relentlessly attack him, like they do all Republicans.

Meanwhile, all you see and hear is crickets and tumbleweeds from the media over the fact that Obama and his State Dep't knew for a minimum of two days that there was a plot against our embassies, yet we chose not to notify our staffs there.......but don't worry, Prez Advisor Valerie Jarrett had a full protective detail while vacationing in Martha's Vineyard......at least we're secure knowing she's safe.

Well, considering the media was caught themelves on audio plotting against Romney, any misttep and the media will relentlessly attack him, like they do all Republicans.

I wish conservatives would stop playing the media victim card. The most watched cables news network is foxnews, the radio airwaves are dominated by conservative talk shows, and the internet is the ever equalizer for reporting stories. The "relentless media" works for both sides, they are about ratings (which is fine).

Meanwhile, all you see and hear is crickets and tumbleweeds from the media over the fact that Obama and his State Dep't knew for a minimum of two days that there was a plot against our embassies, yet we chose not to notify our staffs there.......but don't worry, Prez Advisor Valerie Jarrett had a full protective detail while vacationing in Martha's Vineyard......at least we're secure knowing she's safe.

There isn't much evidence to back up what you are saying, just idle speculation for now. Just like their is speculation that Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks before they happened. It's a pretty big jump to suggest the US would knowingly allow their embassies to be overran (or their towers to be attacked). It just doesn't jive with the follow up; sending in special forces to protect various facilities immediately after. We are willing to use FAST teams after the attacks but not before? a little common sense goes a long way here. When something more then "a senior diplomatic source" comes out then is deserves more attention, or its own thread...

---

As for Romney, he's got a real problem. Of that 47%, half are seniors who probably aren't going to like the fact he basically called them moochers. He needs a lot of that 47% probably a third by my estimate because he was never going to win the other 53% outright.

• Like 1

I'm not really surprised he feels this way, I am surprised he vocalized it. Sure he probably didn't think it would be recorded but what is there to gain by making this statement in a room full of people who are supporting / donating to you anyway?

You mostly answered your own question, he definitely did not expect those comments to leave the room. But also, you say it to pander for contributions. You get people to go from planning to donate $800 to donating $1,400, that's why you would talk to them that way

If the networks carry this clip, I think Romney may have done himself in. It may have happened early enough in the election season to be forgotton about, but he was already behind the 8-ball, this is going to hurt him.

I disagree. As Chuck Todd of NBC pointed out last night, Obama had a similar incident with the "cling to their guns and religion" comment last time, and even though a big fuss was made of that and it certainly hurt him, it wasn't that terrible of a blow and he won anyway.

I wish conservatives would stop playing the media victim card. The most watched cables news network is foxnews, the radio airwaves are dominated by conservative talk shows, and the internet is the ever equalizer for reporting stories. The "relentless media" works for both sides, they are about ratings (which is fine).

Agreement here. With so much conservative media also available in this country, the never-ending belly-aching by conservatives on this issue looks out of touch with reality. To me, it looks more like a sport, with the left media against the right media. And like in a sport, when the "fans" don't see the outcome that they like, they cry foul and cry conspiracy. Edited by Devils Dose

It's really simple why foxnews is the most watched. It's the ONLY station willing to bash liberals.

It also proves what Jimmy Leeds as saying. It is literally the only station on TV willing to bash liberals while the libs have pretty much every other station.

The only medium that conservatives really outnumber liberals is radio.

It also proves what Jimmy Leeds as saying. It is literally the only station on TV willing to bash liberals while the libs have pretty much every other station.

The only medium that conservatives really outnumber liberals is radio.

There are only 3 major cable news networks and foxnews has more viewers then the other two "liberal" ones combined. Conservatives outnumber liberals in TV and Radio, the only area liberals have an edge is print. Never the less, who cares, it doesn't matter. The point is there is clearly no mass media conspiracy against conservatives, at least not any more then they are against liberals too.

You mostly answered your own question, he definitely did not expect those comments to leave the room. But also, you say it to pander for contributions. You get people to go from planning to donate $800 to donating $1,400, that's why you would talk to them that way

I disagree. As Chuck Todd of NBC pointed out last night, Obama had a similar incident with the "cling to their guns and religion" comment last time, and even though a big fuss was made of that and it certainly hurt him, it wasn't that terrible of a blow and he won anyway.

I immediately thought of the guns and religion comment Obama made.

I think it will play out differently though because (a) in my personal view, Obama's comment while dumb, isn't quite as inflammatory as Romney's (my honest opinion), (b) the people Obama insulted, weren't voting for him anyway, it's a little different when you claim half the country are looking for handouts and © Obama made the comment back in the primaries, the country had 7-8 months to forget about it.

• Like 1

Squishy, you are clearly forgetting the Fox News leads in CABLE news, their rating have yet to touch the "Big 3" who are clearly controlled by and advocate for the left, as they have done for decades.

Are people really of the opinion that the local news at 7 is in the tank for Obama? I can't remember the last time I even watched network news let alone saw something with a political tint.

But point taken, you are correct I was referring to cable news.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure FoxNews is ahead of CNN and MSNBC combined on ratings. So the real mystery is why there isn't another conservative TV station because it looks like there's some real money to be made there (not that I'm suggesting it's so easy to create a TV station that I could do it). But I do not consider a couple of networks splitting one audience while one network has a monopoly on the other to be a situation where media bias has severely tilted the playing field.

The bottom line of it all is that people are seeking the news that they want to hear, and when a media outlet starts saying things that they don't want to hear, they change the station. If there were 50 liberal media outlets and 1 conservative one, it would not be as if, "The conservatives can't get their message out. It's all just liberal spin!" All of the people who want the conservative message would be on that one place where they know that they can reliably read what they want to read. I think that the effect that media have on politics is far more subtle than just "3 out of 4 tv newsmen agree. . ." That's how people pick which contact lenses to buy, not whether they want tax hikes to be part of a deficit reduction program.

Squishy, you are clearly forgetting the Fox News leads in CABLE news, their rating have yet to touch the "Big 3" who are clearly controlled by and advocate for the left, as they have done for decades.

What does leading in cable news have to do with anything? They have a market and they play to it at the expense of objective and constructive journalism.

I turned on Fox last night to see how they would react to the story and Greta briefly touched on it saying "So apparently there is a new video, I'm not sure I haven't seen it, where Mitt Romney says Americans are dependent on Government"... Completely avoiding the actual reason why the video is getting attention. Then she switched back to the Fox News coverage of "Obama lets American's die in the Middle East" coverage.

• Like 1

What does leading in cable news have to do with anything? They have a market and they play to it at the expense of objective and constructive journalism.

I turned on Fox last night to see how they would react to the story and Greta briefly touched on it saying "So apparently there is a new video, I'm not sure I haven't seen it, where Mitt Romney says Americans are dependent on Government"... Completely avoiding the actual reason why the video is getting attention. Then she switched back to the Fox News coverage of "Obama lets American's die in the Middle East" coverage.

Unfortunately, they play it too left, unlike the liberal cheerleaders on the other networks.

There needs to be a true Conservative network.

This is such a tired and lame argument that the entire media has it out for the right wing. Do I agree that certain networks and pundits are slanted one way or another? Absolutely. And most people realize this. However, this "woe is us" BS about the news media having it in for Republicans is ridiculous. Who were the ones that destroyed Howard Dean in 2004 for getting overly excited at his own campaign rally? I remember MSNBC playing that innocuous moment on loop for weeks. I seem to remember the media recently destroying Anthony Wiener when they had a chance just as they did Larry Craig and the other nimrods who cant keep their dicks in their pants. I also notice the local media taking that Vito guy in Brooklyn to task (rightfully so) every chance they get. The media will attack anyone who give them the ammunition to do so.

This is the problem with Romney: He's a terrible candidate. He's extremely awkward and his background doesn't lend him the ability to connect with people. G.W. Bush had a similar "privileged" background, but he had the ability to talk to anyone and relate to them. I've said since day one that I felt Bush was a good guy who meant well, but I hated his politics and a lot of the people he had giving him advice. I think Romney is a scumbag and I hate his politics. It absolutely amazes me that the Republicans have taken to this guy so much after his term as Massachusetts governor. Obamacare was basically created by Romney! This election was giftwrapped for the GOP. They had the perfect opportunity to nominate someone who could get moderates on their side. Instead they nominate the literal caricature of a Republican. The stuffy, rich, "I'm better than you", pandering to the far right, guy. McCain went far right in 2008 and got beat. Far right doesnt win national elections!

In 1982 and 1983 during Reagan's first term, unemployment was the highest its EVER been until 2010. It went down to 7.5% before the 84 election and Reagan obliterated Mondale in the election, when the Democrats had a perfect chance to nominate someone that could've (at the very least) competed with Reagan. Why did Reagan win? Because he was a much better candidate than Mondale who wasnt even the party's first choice because *SHOCKER* the media destroyed Gary Hart (this wasnt 1988 when Donna Rice came about). It's exactly what's happening with this election. The only difference is that this election will be closer. People like Obama. People liked Reagan. Not many people like Romney. Not many liked Mondale. Reagan dealt with real economic woes his first term but yet still mauled his opponent because his opponent was a complete moron.

And of course the right wing take issue with the fact that it got out at all and never bother with the substance and the ones that do (David Brooks, Linda McMahon, Scott Brown) are taken to task by the Limbaughs of the world. "Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Its all the media's fault!" No. Its your candidate's fault. Your completely out-of-touch ridiculous candidate who should've been laughed out of the primaries the moment we saw him treat his dog like a piece of luggage.

Romney losing this election could be the best thing for the GOP. The current power brokers in the party will be forced to realize that the majority of this country is socially progressive and fiscally conservative. Pandering to the extremes of the party will not win elections when the demographics of this country are changing so much.

• Like 1

Why is he a "scumbag".

Is it because of the people whose mortgage he paid anonymously for 20 years that media people tried to get to talk bad about Romney..............and that's how they found out it was Romney paying their mortgage?

My link

Is it because he saw a boat accident on a lake and he raced out with family members and saved a family floundering in the water?

My link

Or was it because he organized a rescue effort for a colleagues daughter who went missing after a rave? She was found days later, safe, thanks to the effort he put in.

My link

Or is he a "scumbag" for 'killing' that poor women 6 years after she lost her job?

Romney losing this election could be the best thing for the GOP. The current power brokers in the party will be forced to realize that the majority of this country is socially progressive and fiscally conservative. Pandering to the extremes of the party will not win elections when the demographics of this country are changing so much.

This. I'm liberal, but I'm tired of the debate going the way it has for the past 10 years or so. At this point, it's each side screaming a predetermined set of talking points, and the one who screams best wins. Most people I know are stuck picking a candidate with whom they disagree on half the issues. I'm lucky enough to agree with most of what Obama has tried to do (though I have issues with his effectiveness, just like everybody else), but I feel for people who really don't have a candidate they can legitimately get behind. Also, progress is made when intelligent people debate over things they care about, not when talking heads stress the party line, regardless of their own feelings (which I think Romney is doing, especially re. health care). We aren't making progress, because both parties are holding fast to certain things, whether they agree with them or not, and refusing to compromise because it would show weakness, even when compromise would make sense (Bettman and Fehr much?). The media makes it worse, since they force the same talking points through over and over again. Throw in lobbyists and unlimited donations, and you realize that the American people are stuck voting for parties, not policies, and not people, even if a bunch of voters don't realize that (the I'd have a beer with that guy factor). We've gone from an innovative, heroic country, to a country who is falling farther and farther behind in education, while relying on a costly military to remain a world power, and we deserve better than we're getting as we try to solve these problems.

Also, I have no problem with fiscal conservatives even though I happen to be fiscally liberal. I think foreign policy and economic policy need to be flexible, and should be decided by the smartest people, regardless of their political views. It drives me crazy that the party of fiscal conservatives continues to support bigotry and refuses to acknowledge separation of church and state.

Edited by mouse
  • Like 1

Is it because of the people whose mortgage he paid anonymously for 20 years that media people tried to get to talk bad about Romney..............and that's how they found out it was Romney paying their mortgage?

My link

Is it because he saw a boat accident on a lake and he raced out with family members and saved a family floundering in the water?

My link

Or was it because he organized a rescue effort for a colleagues daughter who went missing after a rave? She was found days later, safe, thanks to the effort he put in.

My link

Or is he a "scumbag" for 'killing' that poor women 6 years after she lost her job?

Jimmy you realize two of those links come from that damn liberal huff post right? :P

But hey, I learned something about Romney I didn't, and kudos to him. Those are good things he's done no question. I think I could have supported pre-2012 Romney, just like I could have supported a pre-2008 McCain. But pander to far and too hard to the right and you lose the middle, Republicans should take a cue from Obama because despite the rhetoric he has been a pretty center-left president.

I didn't really see all that much that was objectionable about what he said (although I lean conservative). From what I've read, he made what I think is a true statement that 47 percent of the country pays no income tax, or, on the whole are net gainers from the government's largesse (i.e. the amount of taxes they pay is less than the amount of transfers they get from other taxpayers). And he's right that most of those people won't vote for him no matter what.

Too early to make any predictions on the actual fallout. There's no "science" to politics, despite what virtually every talking head would have you believe.

The statements on the Palestinians not wanting peace are much more interesting. My guess is that more voters than not feel the same way. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Obama campaign tries to make out of that.

Why is he a "scumbag".

My link

My link

My link

Those are very admirable things. I knew about the boat saving, but the other examples are new. It still doesn't change the fact that his policies and politics are destructive and the fact that he has proven time and time again he will say anything to win an election.

I don't think the 47% video needs to be posted again. That says all that needs to be said about how Romney feels about those less fortunate than him. And yea, lets completely forget his past as a corporate raider and shipping jobs overseas. How do you think those people feel about Mitt's good side? Or the classmate who Mitt bullied and gave a forced haircut to? Or the fact he won't come clean on his own taxes? Yet forced his VEEP pick to divulge a decade's worth.

I don't think the 47% video needs to be posted again. That says all that needs to be said about how Romney feels about those less fortunate than him. And yea, lets completely forget his past as a corporate raider and shipping jobs overseas. How do you think those people feel about Mitt's good side? Or the classmate who Mitt bullied and gave a forced haircut to? Or the fact he won't come clean on his own taxes? Yet forced his VEEP pick to divulge a decade's worth.

I guess you just proved Romney's point. The people who are going to get all jazzed up about this stuff aren't going to vote for him anyway.

I guess you just proved Romney's point. The people who are going to get all jazzed up about this stuff aren't going to vote for him anyway.

That's not the point. It's the fact that he says that he doesn't care about them that people are in an uproar about. Hey, I'll give the guy credit for being honest about how he feels, but isn't it the job of the President to "care" about the entire country and not just those who his ideology speaks to and who vote for him? "And so my job is not to worry about those people." So, he only worries about people who are living better? As Linda McMahon said in her response to the video (and I get that she's running in a very blue state) that the majority of people on the take from the gov't don't want to be in that position, but are forced to because of the hand they've been dealt.

That's what's so interesting as to how the right is reiterating the Obama quote about a segment of the right "clinging to guns and religion". They don't play the full quote, where he goes on to say that he still cares about them despite the differences in that respect. The entire Romney video is out now and nothing is taken out of context or made into a soundbite (which both sides of the media hammered Obama for in 2008).

• Like 1

That's not the point. It's the fact that he says that he doesn't care about them that people are in an uproar about. Hey, I'll give the guy credit for being honest about how he feels, but isn't it the job of the President to "care" about the entire country and not just those who his ideology speaks to and who vote for him? "And so my job is not to worry about those people." So, he only worries about people who are living better? As Linda McMahon said in her response to the video (and I get that she's running in a very blue state) that the majority of people on the take from the gov't don't want to be in that position, but are forced to because of the hand they've been dealt.

That's what's so interesting as to how the right is reiterating the Obama quote about a segment of the right "clinging to guns and religion". They don't play the full quote, where he goes on to say that he still cares about them despite the differences in that respect. The entire Romney video is out now and nothing is taken out of context or made into a soundbite (which both sides of the media hammered Obama for in 2008).

Really? Would it change your point of view at all if he said he was going to take away all the stuff you want, but then says he cares about them?

Frankly, I'll take that over Obama castigating those rubes who don't know what's best for themselves because they cling to their guns even with the obligatory "I care about their welfare nevertheless".

In Romney's defense, I believe he was talking about their vote, not the people as a whole. As in "it's not worthwhile to spend time trying to win over the 47%". That's obviously a bullsh!t statement in it's own right, Romney needs a large portion of that base to vote for him or this election will be a landslide.

What I find pretty objectionable is his description of the 47%, basically saying they are moochers off society when it's patently untrue. Half of the 47% are seniors who have paid SS and medicare taxes their entire lives. Of the other half of the 47% most still pay FICA, unemployment, state, local, city, property taxes. I pay federal income tax, but I don't feel superior to those who don't. I'm sad that they aren't making enough money to meet the level to pay. When the average Salary is $26,000 dollars, and the Average family is making $45,000 the problem is not who isn't paying taxes, it's why aren't they getting paid enough to pay taxes.

• Like 1

Really? Would it change your point of view at all if he said he was going to take away all the stuff you want, but then says he cares about them?

Frankly, I'll take that over Obama castigating those rubes who don't know what's best for themselves because they cling to their guns even with the obligatory "I care about their welfare nevertheless".

No, it wouldnt change my view. However, he comes across as extremely cold in this video. I also don't think its entirely fair to cast off Obama's statement as obligatory. At the very least, he tried to show that he cares about those people, whether or not its true is another argument entirely. If this is what Romney believes, he needs to say it in public and not just in front of a group of millionaire donors who (like the ones Romney paints as not being for him) who'd never vote for Obama. I may not like it or agree with it, but I can respect the candor.

I realize that politics this day in age are largely disgusting on both sides of the ball, but I'd like to hold out some shred of hope that there are people in positions of power that care about the majority of the country and not just a segmented few.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.