69 replies to this topic

#21 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Jesus, Brooklyn is even closer to Newark than MSG.

#22 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Interesting to see how many people on other sports sites aren't aware that Brooklyn is on Long Island.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#23 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Is anyone surprised by this? I expected this to happen, it was just too easy for them to do.....

I was surprised initially, since the seating is limited with obstructed views. But now that I think of it, it's potentially gonna be a nice money maker for them. Fewer seats means you can charge more them, especially if you are attracting affluent NYC residents. Depends how much people really enjoy seeing games in that arena.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,564 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'll believe it when I see them actually play a regular season there. Until then, this just strikes me as having "Another Crazy Charles Wang Ploy" written all over it.

It's a 25 year lease. What exactly would be ployish about this? The Islanders have failed to get any momentum going for an arena on Long Island.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

I was surprised initially, since the seating is limited with obstructed views. But now that I think of it, it's potentially gonna be a nice money maker for them. Fewer seats means you can charge more them, especially if you are attracting affluent NYC residents. Depends how much people really enjoy seeing games in that arena.

I hear your point but 14,500 seats? Thats ridiculous. Why stop there. Why not build an 8,500 seat barn and charge an arm and a leg per seat.

And on a different point, I felt the Devils were making some inroads with fans in the NYC boundaries due to the Pru. The Isles in BK is more competition AND more $$ for the Nets and Jay-Z...ugh

Edited by devlman, 24 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#26 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Good news for the Isles and metro-area hockey fans in general. They're moving 22 miles closer to the metro-area.
Good for us in that there will be less air travel to the handful of games against them.

#27 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm surprised because, while I've always thought this is probably the most logical way out of this whole Nassau situation (despite the arena appearently not being 100% suitable for hockey), I haven't really heard any reports about the Isles in quite some time and the media are usually all over a planned relocation weeks before it's announced.

But good for them, I guess. With all the venues in the area it really didn't make sense to build yet another one just for them (if they were some heroes of the state, winning championship after championship and selling out every night, with fans all over NY, maybe it would make more sense, but they're not quite there).

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I hear your point but 14,500 seats? Thats ridiculous. Why stop there. Why not build an 8,500 seat barn and charge an arm and a leg per seat

14500 isn't all that bad. It's not that far off what Nassau Col. holds and the Isles don't draw much anyway.

If anything, it could take away from the Rangers fan base. I know a few Knicks fans who are changing their allegiance to the Nets because they hate the Dolans and grew up in Brooklyn. Ranger fans though are, if anything else, loyal, so probably won't be that much, although we can dream.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#29 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Well if this still means that I can watch 3 hockey games in a day past 2015 without buying center ice I'm all for it.

#30 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

14500 isn't all that bad. It's not that far off what Nassau Col. holds and the Isles don't draw much anyway.

If anything, it could take away from the Rangers fan base. I know a few Knicks fans who are changing their allegiance to the Nets because they hate the Dolans and grew up in Brooklyn. Ranger fans though are, if anything else, loyal, so probably won't be that much, although we can dream.

I don't know about that. I know at least one huge Ranger fan (STH) who lives in Brooklyn and said he would switch if the Isles moved to Barclays. We'll see if he goes through with it.
Posted Image

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,192 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'll believe it when I see them actually play a regular season there. Until then, this just strikes me as having "Another Crazy Charles Wang Ploy" written all over it.

That's what everyone said about the arena in Brooklyn, that it would never get done. They announced a 25-year lease, it's pretty much impossible to go back now.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

It's a 25 year lease. What exactly would be ployish about this? The Islanders have failed to get any momentum going for an arena on Long Island.

When I wrote that, I hadn't heard the word "lease" used yet.

I'm anxious to see how Barclays Center plans on retrofitting their 94-foot hole to fit a 200-foot peg. The seating map they put out for the preseason game makes it look like their engineers have their work cut out for them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,192 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Of course, they're only going to wind up playing 21 years there cause this league sucks and can't wait to cancel seasons.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#34 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm anxious to see how Barclays Center plans on retrofitting their 94-foot hole to fit a 200-foot peg. The seating map they put out for the preseason game makes it look like their engineers have their work cut out for them.

Yeah I'm really curious how much fans will enjoy seeing a game with the unique seating. If I were the Islanders I really would have waited until these exhibition games and did some market research on how fans felt about the experience before committing to 25 years. I am skeptical, it might not have the electricity of other NHL games due to the ice not being surrounded by fans.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#35 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,387 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

I wish Wang would just sell the team, he has made a laughing stock of a one-time Dynasty type of franchise.

Overall, great move for the team. Long Island is just not a media market.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#36 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

I really hope this works out for the Isles. I've never had any hatred or animosity towards them since they feel like a cousin to the Devils based upon the common hatred of the Rangers. However, that is the strangest setup of a hockey rink I've ever seen. They are already talking about retrofitting the arena to make it more suitable for hockey. The place opened a month ago and it already needs renovations. Why they didn't build it for use in both basketball and hockey setups is beyond me.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 24 October 2012 - 02:00 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,564 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I really hope this works out for the Isles. I've never had any hatred or animosity towards them since they feel like a cousin to the Devils based upon the common hatred of the Rangers. However, that is the strangest setup of a hockey rink I've ever seen. They are already talking about retrofitting the arena to make it more suitable for hockey. The place opened a month ago and it already needs renovations. Why they didn't build it for use in both basketball and hockey setups is beyond me.

Because when it was designed, the economy was still strong and they assumed that the Lighthouse project or something else would happen to keep the Islanders on Long Island, in which case designing this arena for hockey would've been a giant waste of money.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#38 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Posted Image

That looks absolutely absurd. The seating angles of the entire left side are poor and will be hard to sell.

#39 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

That looks absolutely absurd. The seating angles of the entire left side are poor and will be hard to sell.

That's why they are $14.50 and I doubt you have to stand in line for those tickets like the $15 (used to be $10) tickets at the Rock.

#40 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I wonder how much they will make off luxury boxes compared to Nassau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users