EQF Game 1 - Playoff GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Florida Panthers

Steven M.

Ok I'm gonna need some pepto for this series haha.

I'm not surprised...this one is going to have some tense moments. The Devils survived the first one.

100 playoff wins for Brodeur...damn.

For all the bitching that goes on around here, the Devils just played a hell of a third period. Calmed things down nicely.

I wouldn't say they played a great 3rd period, just decent enough to hold the lead - and I will take that every time. The Panthers 3rd period was also just meh. I don't buy into the notion of playing a "60 minute game" - its near impossible against a good team like the Panthers to dominate a whole game. I think the 1st period was amazing but unreplecticable since they were that great. That 2nd period was atrocious but they found a way to keep the lead and I'll credit them with that. Solid effort all around and I trust DeBoer to once again prepare them well for game 2.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I wouldn't say they played a great 3rd period, just decent enough to hold the lead - and I will take that every time. The Panthers 3rd period was also just meh. I don't buy into the notion of playing a "60 minute game" - its near impossible against a good team like the Panthers to dominate a whole game. I think the 1st period was amazing but unpredictable since they were that great. That 2nd period was atrocious but they found a way to keep the lead and I'll credit them with that. Solid effort all around and I trust DeBoer to once again prepare them well for game 2.

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

I wouldn't say they played a great 3rd period, just decent enough to hold the lead - and I will take that every time. The Panthers 3rd period was also just meh. I don't buy into the notion of playing a "60 minute game" - its near impossible against a good team like the Panthers to dominate a whole game. I think the 1st period was amazing but unpredictable since they were that great. That 2nd period was atrocious but they found a way to keep the lead and I'll credit them with that. Solid effort all around and I trust DeBoer to once again prepare them well for game 2.

The Panthers really aren't that good at all. I can't imagine any other team in the playoffs having a home first period in a playoff game that went like that. We were good, don't get me wrong, but they were fvcking awful. Threeorfour probably kept it from being 5-0 or 6-0.

For all the bitching that goes on around here, the Devils just played a hell of a third period. Calmed things down nicely.

what they did was survive. i'm not sure how anyone could watch that game and not see the bipolar personality this team displays rear it's head. You'll lose these games just like you will win them, this time they won. if they played the 2nd and 3rd periods against the rangers, pittsburgh or boston they'd be run out of the building.

of course there was no way they were going to repeat the 1st period, but their level of play dropped off a cliff. It's unacceptable now.

I thought it was a hell of a third period under the circumstances...the Devils were saved a bit by the bell in the second, but they did what they had to, even if it wasn't highlight-reel stuff. And I agree about the 60 minute crap...fanspeak nonsense.

I'll agree with that. That was a real unusual period - I don't think I've ever seen two teams skate so long without a whistle at one point with neither team getting sustained pressure. Thankfully the Devils kept the Panthers at bay and killed the clock effectively.

Obviously, Zidlicky drawing the penalty on Versteeg helped a ton and I'll admit while it was a penalty, I feel that type of call is too minor to call at that point in a playoff game. To me it made up for the call on Gionta that the Panthers got their 2nd goal from.

Ok I'm gonna need some pepto for this series haha.

I'm getting good use out of my Nexium and Pepto right now.

The Panthers really aren't that good at all. I can't imagine any other team in the playoffs having a home first period in a playoff game that went like that. We were good, don't get me wrong, but they were fvcking awful. Threeorfour probably kept it from being 5-0 or 6-0.

Okay, great. Except that the Panthers really aren't that bad. I'm sure a 6 day layoff could have something to do with it and I don't think we'll see a stretch like that again in the series for either team.

The Devils had a ridiculously great lockdown third and in general I bet they gave up maybe 9 scoring chances in the game? Brodeur was horrible on goal #2, NJ spotted Florida a goal and still won. I can't see being mildly disappointed with a win.

Okay, great. Except that the Panthers really aren't that bad. I'm sure a 6 day layoff could have something to do with it and I don't think we'll see a stretch like that again in the series for either team.

The Devils had a ridiculously great lockdown third and in general I bet they gave up maybe 9 scoring chances in the game? Brodeur was horrible on goal #2, NJ spotted Florida a goal and still won. I can't see being mildly disappointed with a win.

How was he horrible when Volch gave up the position and then neither he or Sal did anything to stop Versteeg on that play. I understand Volch takes a penalty if he does anything because he's out of position, but that play was like cloning Martin Skoula and putting them both out at the same time. Did he play it too soft? Probably, but there was plenty of that to go around.

And Tri, yes, the Panthers are bad. Maybe the worst team to make the playoffs in the three division format. At bare minimum I don't remember one getting in that lost so many games. 38-44? That'd be pretty tough to top, that one Lightning team that played the Sens was pretty bad but I don't think they were that bad.

This series is not at all about the Panthers at all, it's basically a referendum on the Devils. If the Panthers win they will be wiped off the map.

what they did was survive. i'm not sure how anyone could watch that game and not see the bipolar personality this team displays rear it's head. You'll lose these games just like you will win them, this time they won. if they played the 2nd and 3rd periods against the rangers, pittsburgh or boston they'd be run out of the building.

of course there was no way they were going to repeat the 1st period, but their level of play dropped off a cliff. It's unacceptable now.

They didn't play those teams. And those teams are better than the Devils.

The problem with this post is the same problem I see in a lot of posts here...not giving the other team any credit, and acting as though the Devils hold all of the cards as to how the game will turn out. I think Florida deserves some credit...Theodore first, for keeping his team in the game, and his teammates for not giving up and putting on a charge in the second period. I've already said how I feel about the third period...the Devils regained their composure and got it done. Screw style points...they won Game 1 on the road. I would've signed up for that no matter how they got it done.

Guest BelieveinBrodeur

Kovy need stop not moving and watching the pucks. He does it so much. Like a spectator on the ice. But he usually scores and we forget that, except tonight. Good win, let's take the next and close the D a little more:)

100 Wins for Marty! I say 5 game but could be a sweep if any match ups right now it's this one

Edited by BelieveinBrodeur

How was he horrible when Volch gave up the position and then neither he or Sal did anything to stop Versteeg on that play. I understand Volch takes a penalty if he does anything because he's out of position, but that play was like cloning Martin Skoula and putting them both out at the same time. Did he play it too soft? Probably, but there was plenty of that to go around.

And Tri, yes, the Panthers are bad. Maybe the worst team to make the playoffs in the three division format. At bare minimum I don't remember one getting in that lost so many games. 38-44? That'd be pretty tough to top, that one Lightning team that played the Sens was pretty bad but I don't think they were that bad.

This series is not at all about the Panthers at all, it's basically a referendum on the Devils. If the Panthers win they will be wiped off the map.

Yes, the Panthers are not good. But the Lightning team New Jersey played in 2007 was worse. And the Devils aren't that great themselves. They are not going to blow out the Panthers - that's not the expectation. Wins are wins, the Devils locked it down in the 3rd and didn't play all that poorly in the 2nd (barely had the puck but weren't giving up a ton of scoring chances).