2014-15 Season - I might be there!

newjerseydamo

Whilst I like my vacations to the USA and seeing sports, I have always entertained the notion of moving to the USA.
Obviously this has restrictions and it isn't that easy.

However! I have kept my eye on the Australian Embassy website for job vacancies, and one has appeared that I just submitted an application for!
I already work for the Australian Government, so I hope it helps my application.
What it would mean is at a minimum, a 12 month contract from July 2014 to July 2015, working in the Australian Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Whilst it isn't New York or New Jersey, it is a stepping stone for me, it provides a possibility of extension, and maybe open other doors for me, and being only 3 1/2 hours to the Prudential Center, I most certainly could not only see the Devils play in DC, but make weekend trips up to weekend games.

It isn't all definite as I have only applied for the job, but I should know a lot more in 4 weeks or so.

It's all exciting and scary at the same time, but I love the challenge and would be an amazing life experience!

Good luck Damo, hope to have you Stateside next season. Although DC is more around 4-5 hours from Newark by car, if you make it in 3 1/2 you were probably breaking numerous speed laws/land-speed records. :P

Haha I was just basing it on Google Maps, and in 2012 when I caught a bus from NYC to DC, it was only 4 1/4 hours... Ah well. At least I could spend weekends in Jersey! Better than just watching on TV all the time like I do now ;)

I hope you get it man! DC has plenty of sports/entertainment options and as you mention you'd still be close enough to NJ/NY for short trips...hell, even Philly. I know you are a Yankees fan so I'd also recommend going to Camden Yards Yankee Stadium South in Baltimore if you had enough time.

Traffic on 95 in the Beltway area is ALWAYS a bitch. No matter what time of day it seems. Always allow for extra time Damo lol.

That's not quite true; I've driven the DC Beltway after 10 PM and it is usually free flowing. :)  More seriously, the Beltway usually has certain spots where it is a pain (Virginia in general, between I-270 and Georgia Avenue, near the I-95 interchange on the Inner Loop) most of the time, and that sucks.

I've already advised Damo on the HFBoards forum to get Amtrak or buses for Devils games in Newark; he not only wants to avoid having the drive be one big headache, he also wants to have all his limbs after paying tolls in approximately a million locations. :)

BTW for Damo (and others), the MARC Penn Line started weekend service between DC and Baltimore back in December, so that is now a viable option for going to weekend afternoon Orioles games (though driving to Baltimore on weekends usually isn't too bad and the parking costs are also fairly reasonable if you don't mind walking a little bit).  Additionally, Orioles games at OPACY are much more enjoyable than Nationals games at Nationals Park IMO.

You could also try to see a few games in D.C., not sure how hard it is to get tickets there though. Also, Amtrak has express trains that make good time to Newark. I know from Baltimore it was about the same amount of time it would have taken to drive and there was food and beer. Although it was way more expensive than a bus, like $70 each way compared to $25. Taking a greyhound was really cheap, but always awful. Bus was always late and it took double the time driving did. I know boltbus is cheap and faster, but you'd have to stay overnight as I don't think they run buses late at night like you can sometimes get with greyhound.

I forgot about Philly for NHL, and Baltimore for Orioles/Yankees games, means I can visit closer arenas to see my teams, and still make the occasional trip up to NJ for Devils home games.

Sounds good :) Now just to see what happens!

I forgot about Philly for NHL, and Baltimore for Orioles/Yankees games, means I can visit closer arenas to see my teams, and still make the occasional trip up to NJ for Devils home games.

Sounds good :) Now just to see what happens!

another one that you could consider is Pittsburgh- I've made the trip from dc in 3.5 hours and there is not nearly as much traffic as the ~4.5 hour drive to Newark, plus the consol center is very nice and Pittsburgh is a cool city.