Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

That was nice of the owner of the Portuguese club where the wine tasting will be to reply to your article. It makes me want to check it out.

The whole point of the blog is to get people in and around town to participate and have a type of forum. By no means am I a journalist or anything close to a halfway decent writer, but I eat like a pig, am in the city all the time, and think it might be useful to others to know what's going on in Newark. That said, I went back to Dickie Dee's last week and had the greasiest pizza slice to ever slide across a counter.

The whole point of the blog is to get people in and around town to participate and have a type of forum.

People around town is one thing, but is it common for the actual owner of an establishment to reply?

Either way, I appreciate your blog. Even though I'm not in Newark with time to eat very often, I keep your blog in mind before I do go.

Just wanted to say that I grew up about 5 blocks from Dickie Dees and if you think the pizza is unreal, try their hot dogs. Freaking heavenly. Double with the WORKS!

:D

Edit : Just read the atual blog and I noticed you did indeed mention their amazing hot dogs. Then again, they are so good, it's worth as many mentions as humanly possible.

Just wanted to say that I grew up about 5 blocks from Dickie Dees and if you think the pizza is unreal, try their hot dogs. Freaking heavenly. Double with the WORKS!

:D

Edit : Just read the atual blog and I noticed you did indeed mention their amazing hot dogs. Then again, they are so good, it's worth as many mentions as humanly possible.

I thought Dickie Dee's was pretty good, but I've run into a number of naysayers. That said, here's the latest double-dog shack I visited, a new place in the Ironbound called Fat Pat's. Thanks for the great segue, Bulletproof!

Since most fans come to this thread to read the food reviews, it would be a shame for it not to include this piece by Colin226, posted Nov. 5, 2009:

Brick City Cafe

Menu: Great selection of various coffees, other hot drinks, and juices. It's pretty similar to Starbucks. They also have specials for the season (right now is Pumpkin Spice Latte and Carmel Apple Latte for autumn). They also offer a good array of desserts as well as pre-made sandwiches and salads. The brownie blew me away!

Prices: Fantastic prices! It's Starbucks quality coffee at a much much lower price. After games they even offer their signature "Brick City Latte" at $2 for the regular size. I'll be stopping there for that deal after almost every home game from now on. The food is also extremely well priced.

Quality: Like I said, it's premium stuff at a very low price. You really can't beat the value

Atmosphere: It's small and quiet, which is nice after an intense game of hockey. They have a Parise autographed picture on the wall as well as 2 TV's and pictures of Newark. Bathrooms are also very clean.

Overall: I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. This place is a gem and it's amazing that it's not packed after every game (probably because it hasn't caught on yet). The prices makes the food/drinks a steal! Plus, that post-game $2 latte special is fantastic. I really encourage everyone to check it out before or after the next home game. You will definitely go back.

Anyone else that has been there care to comment?

http://www.njdevs.co...ndpost&p=814734

"Menu: Great selection of various coffees, other hot drinks, and juices. It's pretty similar to Starbucks. They also have specials for the season (right now is Pumpkin Spice Latte and Carmel Apple Latte for autumn). They also offer a good array of desserts as well as pre-made sandwiches and salads. The brownie blew me away!

Prices: Fantastic prices! It's Starbucks quality coffee at a much much lower price. After games they even offer their signature "Brick City Latte" at $2 for the regular size. I'll be stopping there for that deal after almost every home game from now on. The food is also extremely well priced.

Quality: Like I said, it's premium stuff at a very low price. You really can't beat the value

Atmosphere: It's small and quiet, which is nice after an intense game of hockey. They have a Parise autographed picture on the wall as well as 2 TV's and pictures of Newark. Bathrooms are also very clean.

Overall: I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. This place is a gem and it's amazing that it's not packed after every game (probably because it hasn't caught on yet). The prices makes the food/drinks a steal! Plus, that post-game $2 latte special is fantastic. I really encourage everyone to check it out before or after the next home game. You will definitely go back.

Anyone else that has been there care to comment?"

It is a good selection. I love the frozen hot chocolate. The prices are most certainly not "low" though (aside from any specials du jour they are running), especially for the food. Also, there is no atmosphere in there. They have the same stools as the Goal Bar. That does not strike me as a cozy coffee shop's MO. A better atmosphere would include some couches to lounge on.

Moving on, for all your commuters that take 280 back home after the game, you may have passed this place driving up Lafayette Street, at the intersection perpendicular to Washington... I'll say this, it's not good.

I ate at the Moroccan Arena Cafe when it first opened. Our food experience was better than Quade's but we never went back just because it's not the type of food we kinda want to eat before a game. We've been eating at new sports bar down the block whose name I always forget, like Stadium Sports Bar maybe? Anyway, food is just ok but it's not expensive, it's the bar grub I want at a bar, and my Dad actually really enjoys the wings. Also, since it just opened the staff is pretty much the same every time we go in and they're all friendly and attentive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, but it's not for lack of eating, that's for sure. Here's an onslaught of eating experiences over the past month or so at some different places, both old and new:

Gyro Hero (Street meat gyro)

Reader Tips Pay Off #1 (Another gyro post)

Soup's On (different soups around the area)

Harvest Happy (salads and wraps)

Neva Goin' Back (Worst/funniest food experience ever)

The Kilkenny's Experiment (Average food, cheap beer)

The Story of Francesca's (Good Italian)

Pumpkin Spice vs Pumpkin Spice (TM Ward coffee or Brick City coffee?)

Happy reading!