Absent NHL Olympians may be docked pay

Rock

Absent NHL Olympians may be docked pay

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=156442&hubname=

Associated Press with TSN.ca files

2/27/2006 2:07:14 PM

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) - Sweden's hockey team returned home Monday to celebrate their Olympic gold medal, delaying their return to NHL teams.

Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Sweden's other NHL players were originally scheduled to go directly from Turin to North America, where games are scheduled for Tuesday. But no one wanted to miss out on the celebrations hastily planned in the Swedish capital.

"It's a lot of fun to come home to Sweden," Forsberg said after the team arrived at Stockholm's Arlanda airport. "It might be a pretty long night."

Sources tell TSN that if any Olympic players, Swedes or otherwise, don't return to their NHL team in time to play regular season games the players may be docked pay for the number of days they are absent.

Individual NHL teams have the right to overlook a player

It is pathetic. So while these guys are playing in the Olympic marketing the NHL are the players that didn't go to the Olympics docked pay for doing nothing during the two week hiatus?

The Olympic players ALL deserve some rest that they were NOT entitled too while the rest of the league shutdown.

NHL can be so assinine at times.

did'nt sweden cut the players some reward money?

they are all so wealthy, i doubt it's even an issue...i'm sure they could care less.

well, they had a bonus budget of $60.000 and had counted that there would be about 6 medals and 2 golds, so they annonced, with that in mind, what each medal was worth in bonus... problem is that there were 7 golds and 15 medals in total, and since they cannot get any more muney into the budget, there was a smaller piece rewarded so that everyone could get something

It is pathetic. So while these guys are playing in the Olympic marketing the NHL are the players that didn't go to the Olympics docked pay for doing nothing during the two week hiatus?

The Olympic players ALL deserve some rest that they were NOT entitled too while the rest of the league shutdown.

NHL can be so assinine at times.

The Olympians dont derserve any additional rest than what they agreed to. They shouldnt be there in the first place, but its something they want and fought for. They signed an agreement, and agreed on a return date. If they dont return, they should be docked pay and fined --- no doubt about it.

Players who didnt go to the Oylmpics have been doing team practices. I believe the Devils have had practice since 2/22.

did'nt sweden cut the players some reward money?

they are all so wealthy, i doubt it's even an issue...i'm sure they could care less.

It's the principle of the thing. Yeah, I'm sure none of them will miss the money, but the fact that either the NHL or the individual teams would be considering this is simply inexcusable.

Was it the owners or players who wanted to go to the Olympics, or both? Either way, you told your employer you agreed to their terms, and now after the fact you want to ignore what you agreed to so the owners can do what they want. THe players don't get to agree to things and then just do as they please.

As I understand it, this was something the players wanted in the CBA. The NHL and the Owners may talk about it being a fantastic marketing opportunity for the NHL, but we can all face it, nobody who didn't already care about hockey really watched it in America, which is what the NHL tries to market to, so they were, as usual, preaching to the choir.

The players wanted it and they agreed to certain terms to get it. Now they are violating those terms. It's up to their employers to decide what they want to do. When I agree to employment I'm expected to live up to the agreements I make or I would get fired. But then again, nobody will employ me on any kind of a permanent basis. Maybe I ought to try telling people I'll refuse to live up to the requirements they set and that will get me somewhere. :argh:

This is as cut-and-dried as it gets - if they miss a game, they take the pay cut.

If the Wings call up 5 players to play in their game, do those guys not get paid? Or do the Wings pay 28 players on a 23 man roster?

The Olympics are mostly a concession to the players - Bettman said that they did not want the players participating in the Olympics because of the already condensed nature of the season. I'm sure it was great free promotion for the NHL when Slovakia played Latvia at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday on MSNBC, but let's get serious - I think the NHL is aware that the Olympics does nothing to help them but now the pros having got a taste don't want to stop competing on that level.

Edited by Triumph

This is as cut-and-dried as it gets - if they miss a game, they take the pay cut.

If the Wings call up 5 players to play in their game, do those guys not get paid? Or do the Wings pay 28 players on a 23 man roster?

The Olympics are mostly a concession to the players - Bettman said that they did not want the players participating in the Olympics because of the already condensed nature of the season. I'm sure it was great free promotion for the NHL when Slovakia played Latvia at 2 in the afternoon on a Wednesday on MSNBC, but let's get serious - I think the NHL is aware that the Olympics does nothing to help them but now the pros having got a taste don't want to stop competing on that level.

Well you have to take the good with the bad, 2002 was a more thrilling olympics, the games were in Utah so the schedule wasn't as bad. Also it helped expose the crap NHL game for what it was. Readjusting from the 2002 Olympics back to the NHL game was impossible. Once you've had a taste of the best it's hard to accept anything else. That was when the NHL really started to examine the game. The TV ratings for the Canada USA final were solid as well. Vancouver 2010 might also be a huge success, but in the mean time you have to deal with games at dawn and less than desirable results in Turin, at least for North American fans.

Minor leaguers, at least called up for 1 NHL games should be payed an NHL salary. Players who can't make it back or need a day or two should be put on some sort of injured reserve for "general soreness" or something just so they don't lose pay for that day as if they were skipping out on a game for no reason. It's not the players fault idiot Bettman is so paranoid about the season lasting another week or two into June, big deal.

You do realize that the length of the NHL playoffs makes the sport a joke, right? Casual fans never make it to the Cup Finals - most people are generally amazed that hockey is still going. All of us have acknowledged that the 82 game season is too long, but nothing is being done about that any time soon - unless people want to start paying more for less.

Once you start letting the season run long, you begin to affect other seasons. The draft has to be pushed back a week, then free agency, etc. Baseball should never be played in November and ideally hockey should never be played in June.

Or they could've done what the NHL was probably hoping they'd do, which is throw the Olympics so that Canada won gold, the US won silver, and some country nobody cares about took bronze. No need for any messy celebrations, and the NHL looks even better to North American fans.

LMFAO Swede

I think the league is just stupid sometimes. These guys busted their asses for over two weeks to promote the sport and they have the nerve to fine them when there was hardly any time off. This is why they are viewed as a laughingstock.

If they don't make any changes for 2010, that will speak volumes.

I think the league is just stupid sometimes. These guys busted their asses for over two weeks to promote the sport and they have the nerve to fine them when there was hardly any time off. This is why they are viewed as a laughingstock.

Thank you. Finally, someone agrees with me on this.