Comprehensive Free Agent Signing Thread

njdevil26

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad... and even if i know that the C is the priority... and i repeat myself but... Anton Babchuk isn't that a bad idea.. i think...

Babchuk would not make a bad #6. He would be an update over Mottau at any rate. He would be a nice acquisition at $1.5 or so.

Lou is done............ he has made his brilliant moves for this time. The Devils as of today aren't as competitive as last season and we know what happen last season. But then Marty is in goal he can save out Arse, not.

Lou has at least 4 more moves left in the next month or so.

Lou has at least 4 more moves left in the next month or so.

He may have 4 left however his track record since 2003 leaves much room for improvement. I think the Devils are in financial trouble so it doesn't matter he can make 4 moves but none will greatly improve the team.

If Lou does sign Kovalev, does that mean Derek's gonna start posting here again? :whistling:

If you think there's havoc here now, just imagine what a Rangers fan like Derek will bring about; the arguing will be off the charts. I did, however, enjoy seeing a Rangers fan being forced to use a Claude Lemieux avatar. :giggle:

I'm back. Every year there's 2 groups of people here, normally the same (people) each UFA/deadline day. I realized some people are just so out of touch it isn't funny. I would say about 90% of people that did a mock offseason plan aren't that surprised the way things turned out the first 2 days. Sure the Devils have holes now, but they all can be easily replaced with younger, cheaper talent. The people that are flipping out, going apesh!t over this claiming "LOU WE NEED THIS, THIS, AND THIS, GET IT DONE" and "LOLZ LOU SUCKS!!!" are people that bitch and whine but fail to come up with their own genius plans. UFA is not a solid solution, it's a crapshoot. Btw, there's still players out there and time to sign a decent one. I just wish people would shut up already.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/wildbl...be-going-south/

"New Jersey is one team hot after Koivu, as well as the New York Rangers, who now that they traded Scott Gomez, really doesn't have a center to get the puck to Marian Gaborik. Anaheim likes him, too."

Interesting... Lou apparently dealing on the sly. If he can get Koivu on a two-year deal, I'd sign him. No more than two years though.

That's good to hear, but I'm never comfortable being in a bidding war with the Rangers. I know we got Elias over the Rags, but it's not because we were able to outbid them. I really don't see why Koivu would pick the Devils over the Rangers and not just go to the highest bidder.

i see no reason to believe that but the rangers have a lot of salary cap trouble coming. they already owe 52 million in my estimation on 10 forwards, 4 D, and 1 goalie. they are going to have to waive wade redden. even that's 45.2 million on 10 forwards, 3 D, and 1 goalie - so 6 players with an average of between 1 million and 1.5 million on average. if you add koivu they are totally fvcked.

Edited by Triumph

I don't know, if three years is what it takes to get him here instead of Minnesota or New York, then I think you gotta give him the third year. I really think he's the type of player that will fit in well around here, which isn't something you see in many free agents.

A front-loaded three year deal wouldn't kill us, and who knows, maybe he retires after the second year if his salary's declining in the third anyway.

+1

I don't know, if three years is what it takes to get him here instead of Minnesota or New York, then I think you gotta give him the third year. I really think he's the type of player that will fit in well around here, which isn't something you see in many free agents.

A front-loaded three year deal wouldn't kill us, and who knows, maybe he retires after the second year if his salary's declining in the third anyway.

I'm just kind of hesitant to give a third year to someone with the injury problems he's had at his age... we might live to regret that.

I'm just kind of hesitant to give a third year to someone with the injury problems he's had at his age... we might live to regret that.

I'm with you, but it's a risk I think is worth taking. A better, more sensible, more Devils-speed risk than a Gaborik or Havlat would have been, anyway.

I'm with you, but it's a risk I think is worth taking. A better, more sensible, more Devils-speed risk than a Gaborik or Havlat would have been, anyway.

True, although if he gets hurt badly enough we all know Lou is the master of getting the LTIR exemption.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Koivu-Rolston

me likey... me likey, alot.

It's funny what a legit #2 center will do for us.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Koivu-Rolston

Clarkson-Zubrus-Bergfors

Pandolfo-Pelley-PL3

Granted, we're short one left winger and have one too many right wingers, but someone can make the jump over I'm sure. I could live with a lineup like that.

You know much better than me, but how in the world do you know that? 2011-2012? I mean, isn't that a little too far in the future to count the playoffs out? What if Tedenby works out really well? Like, Parise-well?

hes probably speaking from a cap point of view

Totally disagree. Everyone said the same thing about Rolston when he got his 4-year deal. We need to get younger. Not give declining players extra years on their contract. No team is going to be successful with a 40-year-old Brian Rolston and a 38-year-old Saku Koivu making 9 million combined in 3 years.

If Koivu won't take two years, Lou should just wait out this market. There will be quality centermen looking for work and willing to take a one year contract at a reasonable price. Look at what happened in the MLB offseason . . . it will be even more pronounced here.

Edited by smelly

If Koivu won't take two years, Lou should just wait out this market. There will be quality centermen looking for work and willing to take a one year contract at a reasonable price. Look at what happened in the MLB offseason . . . it will be even more pronounced here.

i know you haven't been around much lately, but it's a really, really weak centers market. however, i do agree with this philosophy - the devils can wait until august and then sign a guy like todd marchant. they should take advantage of the falling prices of certain veteran players even if they risk losing out on that player by doing so.