No Reason For Optimism

Daniel

You know guys, the Devils team in 2003 finished the season with 46 wins! If this team finishes with 46 wins it means we are going to WIN THE CUP! And the 2000 Devils finished with 45 wins! So if we only get 45 we're going to win the cup, too! :rolleyes:

Another bad comparison since there were no shootouts in the 2003 season.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could search the whole site archives, but here's a gem:

Oh cmon! Being a NJ fan isn't all that bad :lol:

Think of all the great things about why you people enjoy your team:

10.Likes following an organization that is run like the C.I.A.

9.Has mistaken Lou Lamoriello for Mikhail Gorbachev.

8.You like yelling, screaming and cheering a lot all in the same game.

7.Enjoys roller coaster rides even if you have to puke.

6.Those Christmas Jerseys were fun.

5.Optimism not included.

4.What's in a name anyway? Devils :evil: .

3.One goal games are fun.

2.Enjoy the element of unpredictability.

1.Expecting a Stanley Cup every year.

And... when was that posted...

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:30 PM

Another from the same thread:

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:00 AM

Chico ended the game tonight by saying that " The Devis just didn't fiinish there chances to night and that was the difference."

I fear that these may be the words we hear as the curtain closes on this season.

And... some things never change...

Posted 11 March 2003 - 10:54 PM

I agree, Elias's -2 is a great indicator of his play tonight.

As usual, the rabble are being irrational.

The Devils had no jump in their step tonight, but I expected that, trade or no trade. You'll note in the predictions thread that I predicted 3-2 Atlanta, and that was when I still thought the Devils would make a deal.

I still believe in this team. If you people want to waste your time complaining about poor entertainment, that's your perogative.

$5 cyber-bucks to the first person to figure out who wrote that...

I wish I could search the whole site archives, but here's a gem:

And... when was that posted...

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:30 PM

Another from the same thread:

And... some things never change...

$5 cyber-bucks to the first person to figure out who wrote that...

I don't know, but if I figure it out, I want space cash instead.

Tri, board or no board, I also said it last year and the year before. Like I said, I don't get into the future, I don't get into how we'll do in the playoffs, I talk about the present, game by game, and it stinks. What pisses me is when people take a conformist and overly optimistic attitude and carry around a bag of excuses.

I agree we have one of the best pair of scoring lines in the league on paper, but I'm not seeing goals.

i don't have a conformist attitude. i also don't have a bag of excuses. what i am saying is that each game changes the devils' odds of winning the 1st round microscopically. pittsburgh keeps winning in OT and shootouts, and the devils don't. so what? neither 4 on 4 OT, nor shootouts are included in the NHL playoffs. skill in them means nothing.

Momentum at the end of a regular season may last 5 minutes in the playoffs. Our team is playing, for the most part, well which is good enough for me. When you have Kovalchuk and Parise one the ice for 2/3 of the game you will have chances to score goals and win games. Brodeur playing well seems to be the biggest positive to take into the playoffs. I don't want a goaltender fighting the puck.

i don't have a conformist attitude. i also don't have a bag of excuses. what i am saying is that each game changes the devils' odds of winning the 1st round microscopically. pittsburgh keeps winning in OT and shootouts, and the devils don't. so what? neither 4 on 4 OT, nor shootouts are included in the NHL playoffs. skill in them means nothing.

If you think I'm talking about you specifically, there must be a reason.

How dare this team only win by 4! They are going to get swept in the first round! Swept, I say! :headless chicken:

C'mon, you know that dominating a team they should dominate means nothing, and losing to the 3rd best team in the league means everything! They're still going to get swept in the first round.

Every year I want to pull the lid down on my head and be down in the dumps about poor play at the end. I just remember the year the devils rode a huge tidal wave of momentum into the end of the year won a come-back game the last of the year to win the division, swept their first round opponent who happened to be their biggest rival...and then promptly dropped dead in the second round. Lets face it the playoffs are a different animal it takes a lot to survive every round to the end A LOT. And it's hard to look at a team and say They are gonna make it (how many times have the sharks been the favorite in the west?). So I'm just gonna take these games with a grain of salt and look forward to the tournament to start.

Every year I want to pull the lid down on my head and be down in the dumps about poor play at the end. I just remember the year the devils rode a huge tidal wave of momentum into the end of the year won a come-back game the last of the year to win the division, swept their first round opponent who happened to be their biggest rival...and then promptly dropped dead in the second round. Lets face it the playoffs are a different animal it takes a lot to survive every round to the end A LOT. And it's hard to look at a team and say They are gonna make it (how many times have the sharks been the favorite in the west?). So I'm just gonna take these games with a grain of salt and look forward to the tournament to start.

+1

The fact of the matter is that the regular season is a piss poor indicator of playoff success. Last year the Pens were an absolute joke halfway through the season and were sitting in 11th place (if I remember correctly). Could anyone have predicted then that they would win the Cup? The same story can basically be retold every year. The only aspect of a team which matters in the playoffs is skill and experience, both of which this team has plenty of.

At least wait to the playoffs to say how the Devils will fair. I think Kovy will be on fire since he actually has a chance to play in the playoffs. Marty has been playing amazing lately and the majority of our team was here for that series last year vs carolina and I think that still bothers most of them, especially Zach and Marty.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but right now every team will enter the playoffs with many holes that might not be fixable. There will likely be no team that is on a roll entering the playoffs except for the Red Wings, even though they lost back to back to Nashville and Philly. In the East you can say that the Habs are the hottest team going into the playoffs, but yet they are very unstable. It seems the Caps are relaxing for the final week of the season since they are virtually the President's Trophy winners, but that can cost them against a team like the Flyers or Bruins. Its all going to be structure that will get it done in the playoffs, but in terms of the Devils, if they can play with a lot of intensity, they can go very far. I think they will go past round 1 at least, but no team is unbeatable. We shall see in about a week and a half.

The great thing about playoff hockey is that the best team often doesnt win it all. Let's face it, its more likely to be the hottest team riding a lights out goalie that can make a deep push into the playoffs. I'd rather lose a few now then in a few weeks. Who ever said that this team must absolutly win the division to go all the away? Some of are you are so spoiled. And furthermore if you have NOTHING to be optimistic about why bother watching?

Another bad comparison since there were no shootouts in the 2003 season.

you make it sound like we're cursed or like the devils haven't won a playoff game in years....we went 7 games in rd. one last season...at seven games luck plays an increasing role

your entirely to negative...i mean if we had cleared the puck last year past a diving BRIND'AMOUR carolina wouldn't have scored to tie the game or if slava festiov didn't cross ice pass in 94' leading to the rangers keeping it in the zone and winning in game seven...how many unplanned goals or lucky pass' have you seen

making predictions is a losers game but in my opinion we could go far this year...given a fair amount of luck we might make it to the stanley cup playoffs

you need to chillax and support the team...would you rather be a flyer fan...how about thier luck or a ranger fan hoping the pull it off...or maybe you could be an islander fan

being a devil fan has been one of the most one of the most rewarding teams you could declare a allegiance to over the past 15 seasons

Bumped so Daniel can tell us more reasons they won't make it out of round after tonight's win

Don't think I'm going away that fast. :giggle:

We beat a non-playoff team, although thoroughly I'll give you that. The last three games against teams still in the playoff hunt we lost.

So far as I'm concerned, the only win you can possibly glean anything from for the remainder of the season is against Buffalo. As pessimistic as I am, even I think we should beat the Islanders and the Panthers.

How confident will you be when the match-up is against the Rangers or the Flyers?

Actually very confident although presently, as for the majority of the season, the Rangers are out of the playoffs and look to begin another decade long streak of missing the post season.

The Flyers? An organization that hasn't won in 35 years? Sorry, no fear there.

Yes, as always, the Devils are an elite team who tied the Montreal Canadiens NHL consecutive 40+ win toal this season. They should rap up another divisional title and finish as the second seed in the Eastern Conference. Brodeur wins his 600th, along with his 110th shutout, after consecutive no-hitters on the road.......oh this is terrible! :whistling: