Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

I wouldn't be surprised if Brodeur has a serious "injury" after this season and can't come back. Lou knows, Lou knows.

Doesn't save you a penny on the cap, but the cap in two years is the least of our worries right now anyway.

If anyone deserves a gold watch, it's Marty. I'm just worried what giving him a gold watch means vis-a-vis what Zach told Lou.

What a great way to start this morning. I don't care about the money, I just wanted Marty back on this team and to be a Devil forever. I just hope he proves all the naysayers wrong.

If there is a lockout for a year Marty still comes back to play. BS

That's a big if. We might miss a half a season but the league and players know that they can't afford to miss an entire season so soon after the 05 season. I don't believe the fans will come back in droves this time.

Oh you guys know this has absolutely nothing to do with Parise's offer. Parise will either stay or go, this contract has nothing to do with it.

Glad to see Marty is sticking around... though I never truly thought he would leave. I would've been shocked. I don't think two years is that bad, and at $4.5M per, I don't think it's that bad either. What good goaltenders out there are getting paid less?

I'm not saying it's the wrong deal to do, but at the same time this contract is pretty brutal. It's a selfish deal on Brodeur's part, but he has a right to be selfish.

I'm still of the belief that Brodeur has a lot of good hockey left to show. At least that's what I hope. But this deal doesn't say that Brodeur is all that confident in his game.

Bad contract...and i'm thinking it means Lou threw in the towel on Parise and didnt want to lose both.

I don't think it'll effect Parise, They have their offer on the table. How much they can or can not bump it up at the last minute won't change.

I'm fine with this. There's really no goalie out there to be had who iis much better. More money and years than I would have liked to have seen, but it doesn't effect the bottom line or the cap in any real way.

Edited by Daniel

This is a bad deal for the Devils. Too much money and one year too long. Lou caved in.

Come on now LD, you should be delighted he is back.

Marty bashing is 99% of your subject matter on here, if he left then what would you post about :noclue:

I have zero qualms with this. Slight overpayment of course, but you do it because it's Marty and he's meant everything to this franchise for the better part of two decades. I'd have rather a one-year, but I'll take a two year if it keeps him in a Devils uniform for the rest of his career instead of two in Chicago or Toronto or whatever.

This "over-payment" is a "thanks for being part of the reason we're not in Nashville" payment. He's also the best option out there by far. One of the qualities that this franchise embodies, is loyalty and, in the case, it's a 2 way street. Welcome back home, Marty!

Edited by twillms73

he took a slight paycut, a good transition period for a new goalie, im not mad about this at all. (3 mil would have been nice, but the cap DID go up, and it doesn't really take money away from other signings)

Without marty... what the hell were we gonna do? there were no goalies out there to get via FA worth getting, none of the kids are ready yet...

The only thing Lou messed up, was giving us little choice when it comes to goalies in the system. This is a stopgap for now.

I'd rather have him retire than go somewhere else... and i'm glad hes back

How is this a pay cut? Ya'll make it seem like he was a Vezina candidate who was the sole reason they made the Finals. The guy is 40. He's not expected to play better than last season.

I guess I was referring to the fact that 4.5 is less than 5.2. Someone correct me if my math is wrong. Also, it's fairly common knowledge that Marty probably never got as big of a contract as he might have be able to, in part so that his team could stay competitive.

Like I said before, the devs had zero NHL goalies before this morning. Now they have 1. Progress.

Great signing by Lou. We need to spend about 10m anyway on a pair of goalies, Fayne and 1 or 2 spare parts. Even with the idle speculation that the floor is going to be lowered we weren't going to get a starter cheaper. Very happy Marty will finish out the twilight of his career here, he's earned it.

This "over-payment" is a "thanks for being part of the reason we're not in Nashville" payment. He's also the best option out there by far. One of the qualities that this franchise embodies, is loyalty and, in the case, it's a 2 way street. Welcome back home, Marty!

While like I said I am happy Marty retires a Devil, this thinking is silly. Should we really be throwing money around now for accomplishments that happened almost 20 years ago? Contracts should not be lifetime achievement awards.

I'm really happy,'' Brodeur told ESPN.com. "Deep down what I always wanted was to re-sign with New Jersey. I'm glad the Devils stepped up when they did. As the process went on I was certainly intrigued by what was out there. But this is really what I wanted.'' "It was great the Devils stepped up,'' Brodeur told ESPN.com. "You have to understand what's happening obviously with the ownership situation and with what's happening with Zach (Parise). I understood that. I'm just happy this got done.''

In the overall scheme of things I am happy to see Marty back with the team. The amount of crap we would have taken for failing to re-sign him is mind-boggling to consider.

I was hoping he would take a bigger pay cut to help with re-signing Parise, but at the same time I cant fault him for looking out for himself first.

Besides, this overpayment would bug me more if the Devils salary total were higher. The team is still about 5 mil below the mandatory floor. If Marty had taken a lot less to come back, the reality is that the Devils would have ended up overpaying somewhere else on the roster...that's just how it always winds up. It's just a very fortunate thing for the Devils that they have some cheap talent in Henrique, Josfeson, Larsson, and the fourth liners...haven't always had that.