2013 NHL Draft

Derlique

So the real problem the Devils have is people want these draft tickets whereas the NBA and MLB drafts nobody cares about so you can walk right in?  You can see where the difference is between getting something nobody cares about and getting something that people are seeking.

I mean come on, you said, "for the sake of pleasing people for no reason".  The Devils and/or NHL are now jerks for trying to please customers.

I think this is definitely boiling down to that you're not pleased you may not get tickets, which you might not be able to do under any system you've suggested.  I haven't seen a solution that helps out the fact that there is limited space compared to the number of people that want tickets.

I rarely hear a consumer complain a company is doing something for free.

I'm mad because ther'es no way I could get them even if I wanted to. I could more easily get tickets to Bruce Springsteen's last concert ever in the Meadowlands than this

Well half the arena's gonna be closed off so what do they expect? The raffle is a joke compared to what other leagues do. Just give people a chance to buy them, that'll get the people that actually wanna be there in there and it helps them make more money. You can't please everyone, but give people who really wanna be there but can't afford season tickets a chance to go. A 4% chance isn't much of a chance at all. No other sport does it like this. I can just waltz into the barclay's center and get NBA draft tickets no problem. NFL draft tickets are an effort to get but it can be done. MLB draft tickets anyone can show up. NHL draft you get a 4% raffle chance with anybody who made the excruciating effort to fill out a one page form. Season ticket holders didn't pay for the draft, maybe they could get it as their reward, but the idea that every season ticket holder needs 4 tickets to this is asinine and stupid for the sake of pleasing people for no reason. People who actually wanna pay for it can't. They're literally turning down money. By doing it the way they're doing it, any STH gets them, whether they give a sh!t about Sean Monahan or Nathan MacKinnon or not or even know who they are. Make it so even if you have to pay, it's people who actually care who will be there, not somebody who gets tickets just because they can afford to go during the season to every game. 

If you honestly think a 4% raffle is fair, I don't know what to tell you. I basically have no chance of going just because I can't afford season tickets. How is that fair when the only relation between the two is the same building and STHs didn't pay for draft tickets when I'd be perfectly willing to?

Every season ticket holder doesn't get them. They sent e-mails telling season ticket holders to fill out a form if they wanted to claim them, and on the same form, they could request additional tickets. So the people going are the ones interested in going.

You're argument is essentially 'don't give tickets to those people because they don't deserve it or appreciate but I do.'

If a raffle or giving it to season ticket holders isn't fair, how is a Ticketmaster scramble more fair?

The lower bowl is closed because it is being used for draftees and their families, NHL personnel, league related invitees, etc.  The Devils only get the 100 and 200 levels to give out.

For anyone complaining about this process, just stop it.  If they sold tickets people would be crying that they are fleecing their fans to a nothing event.  This team absolutely can't win with some of its own fans.  They did the right thing by rewarding their most loyal customers first and raffling off the remainder so everyone who isn't a STH has the same opportunity as everyone else to get a ticket.  

Like someone said previously, there are likely to be a number of tickets put on this site as we get closer to the draft by STH's.  Patience is a virtue.

I think the issue is that many fans are upset at the amount of extras given to STH thus lowering the amount of tickets for the raffle thus lessening the chances of getting in.

The lower bowl is closed because it is being used for draftees and their families, NHL personnel, league related invitees, etc.  The Devils only get the 100 and 200 levels to give out.

For anyone complaining about this process, just stop it.  If they sold tickets people would be crying that they are fleecing their fans to a nothing event.  This team absolutely can't win with some of its own fans.  They did the right thing by rewarding their most loyal customers first and raffling off the remainder so everyone who isn't a STH has the same opportunity as everyone else to get a ticket.  

Like someone said previously, there are likely to be a number of tickets put on this site as we get closer to the draft by STH's.  Patience is a virtue.

If you think it's a nothing event, then don't buy thema nd the people who would care can pay. People who want to go can't that's the problem. How about they sell the tickets instead of raffling them off so again people who really wanna go can buy them? Not exactly genius work here

Edited by DH26

If you think it's a nothing event, then don't buy thema nd the people who would care can pay. People who want to go can't that's the problem. How about they sell the tickets instead of raffling them off so again people who really wanna go can buy them? Not exactly genius work here

Where do you get the assumption that people who don't want to go are getting tickets?

Every season ticket holder doesn't get them. They sent e-mails telling season ticket holders to fill out a form if they wanted to claim them, and on the same form, they could request additional tickets. So the people going are the ones interested in going.

You're argument is essentially 'don't give tickets to those people because they don't deserve it or appreciate but I do.'

If a raffle or giving it to season ticket holders isn't fair, how is a Ticketmaster scramble more fair?

A ticketmaster scramble's more fair because again people who really wanna go can go then and the people who just given enough of a crap to fill out a form and nothing more and won't wanna pay like some people do won't.

And to the earlier point from 731: if you think more people care about the NHL draft than the NBA draft I'll take what you're smoking

Where do you get the assumption that people who don't want to go are getting tickets?

I just meant that people see they can get them for free and request them just because they're free. If you make people pay, people won't do that.

A ticketmaster scramble's more fair because again people who really wanna go can go then and the people who just given enough of a crap to fill out a form and nothing more and won't wanna pay like some people do won't.

And to the earlier point from 731: if you think more people care about the NHL draft than the NBA draft I'll take what you're smoking

I just meant that people see they can get them for free and request them just because they're free. If you make people pay, people won't do that.

I still don't get how people who filled out a form don't want to go because they aren't paying for a ticket. Why would you fill something out to go if you aren't interested in going?

You said you can walk right into the NBA draft and get a ticket.  So it's wildly more popular but nobody shows up?  You can't have it both way.

A ticketmaster scramble's more fair

Only if you're available when ticketmaster goes on sale and don't mind paying $5-10 a ticket.  Otherwise the raffle is much more equitable for the regular fan.

Edited by Devils731

I actually think the Devils handled this pretty well. It was a smart move on their part to guarantee draft tickets for season ticket holders, because if someone who wasn't an existing season ticket holder already REALLY wanted to go to the draft, they could just sign up for season tickets to ensure they got in. Hopefully this helped the team sell some ticket packages.

Now is a great time to pick up season tickets because it will guarantee you draft tickets AND tickets to the outdoor game at Yankee Stadium.

The NBA, NFL and MLB drafts all have ways for regular, non STH fans to get in, whether it's buying tickets or not, through stuff beyond a random raffle. It's an incompetent league doing incompetent things once again

1. If you want tickets so bad, just get them on eBay.

2. The league didn't have any say in how the Devils distributed their portion of the draft tickets. It was the team's decision to raffle them rather than sell them, which again, was a smart move. Think of all the contact information the Devils sales department had pouring in as people entered the raffle. Now they can try to hit those people up for season tickets.

Edited by JWomp

You said you can walk right into the NBA draft and get a ticket.  So it's wildly more popular but nobody shows up?  You can't have it both way.

Only if you're available when ticketmaster goes on sale and don't mind paying $5-10 a ticket.  Otherwise the raffle is much more equitable for the regular fan.

Because they actually sell them so they're easier to get because not every yahoo can just request them online with no effort. And the regular fan doens't care about the draft, that's my problem. They give minimal effort to fill out a form and that's it and then get bored at the draft in all likelihood. Make them pay and only the people who really wanna go will go.

Its basically set up like a concert. They have a fancy stage with the boards with the draft list and all that for TV. You wouldnt be able to see sh!t sitting up behind that. + there's insurance considerations in case of an emergency.

draft-bennet-topper.jpg

I dunno (edit: I think its Ottawa) where this is, but general idea. Why would you want to sit up behind that? Just to "be there"? 

It is Ottawa. Here is another view.

NHL-Draft.jpg

I attended the NHL Draft in Los Angeles a couple of years ago, and while it was a cool novelty to be there, after awhile it did get boring and I left early.  After the 2nd round it is really hard to keep up and keep your interest.

If you want tickets so bad, just get them on eBay. And the league didn't have any say in how the Devils distributed draft tickets. It was the team's decision to raffle them rather than sell them, which again, was a smart move. Think of all the contact information the Devils sales department had pouring in as people entered the raffle. Now they can try to hit those people up for season tickets.

There are like 5 pairs on ebay now going for 70 at the lowest, $125 on average. If I had that kinda money for one event, I'd have season tickets.

There are like 5 pairs on ebay now going for 70 at the lowest, $125 on average. If I had that kinda money for one event, I'd have season tickets.

$70 for a pair isn't terrible for a once-or-twice-in-a-lifetime experience. If you want to go that bad, shell out the money.

Yes I do think I'm entitled to have a more than 4% shot at tickets. If that's enraging, so be it.

lol you might be in that 4%.  Then you would be stressing out over nothing.  I would just take it easy until they have announced that all the winners have been notified.

I know the odds are stacked against you but you never know.  Nothing has happened yet so I wouldn't freak out just yet.

Well half the arena's gonna be closed off so what do they expect? The raffle is a joke compared to what other leagues do. Just give people a chance to buy them, that'll get the people that actually wanna be there in there and it helps them make more money. You can't please everyone, but give people who really wanna be there but can't afford season tickets a chance to go. A 4% chance isn't much of a chance at all. No other sport does it like this. I can just waltz into the barclay's center and get NBA draft tickets no problem. NFL draft tickets are an effort to get but it can be done. MLB draft tickets anyone can show up. NHL draft you get a 4% raffle chance with anybody who made the excruciating effort to fill out a one page form. Season ticket holders didn't pay for the draft, maybe they could get it as their reward, but the idea that every season ticket holder needs 4 tickets to this is asinine and stupid for the sake of pleasing people for no reason. People who actually wanna pay for it can't. They're literally turning down money. By doing it the way they're doing it, any STH gets them, whether they give a sh!t about Sean Monahan or Nathan MacKinnon or not or even know who they are. Make it so even if you have to pay, it's people who actually care who will be there, not somebody who gets tickets just because they can afford to go during the season to every game. 

If you honestly think a 4% raffle is fair, I don't know what to tell you. I basically have no chance of going just because I can't afford season tickets. How is that fair when the only relation between the two is the same building and STHs didn't pay for draft tickets when I'd be perfectly willing to?

Every acct got 2 guaranteed tickets and that was it. There's people who pool together to get multiple seats and as such, I imagine if you had 4 guys, 4 seats, you were still only guaranteed 2 tickets. That's the way I understood it. Anything above the 2 was provided only under the basis that you had to wait and see how the demand was.

Also, instead of claiming you have no chance of going, just wait. There will be extra tix floating around. I had my Father who is a STH request 4 extras because I know I'll want to go and I figured I'd take as many as I could. I'll probably only use 2-3 of them and I certainly won't care about getting money for the extra I won't use. I cannot imagine I'm the only person in this kind of situation, so I feel like there will be a few tickets to be had once the draft gets closer and people finalize their plans for that day.

I think it should have been for every seat you have as a STH, you get a seat for the draft. No extras and no less.

But for the rest the raffle is the most fair way to do it.

Totally agree.. Obviously you have to reward your STH for the 44 game, several thousand dollar commitment they've made to you.. And, you can potentially leverage the event to sell more season tickets.. Devils did a great job delaying the raffle in order try and entice people to buy, and they've sold about 300 season tickets over the past month so it very well may have worked.. 300 season tickets all in the cheapest seats would be like an additional $250,000 guaranteed plus concessions, parking, etc. That's wayyyyy more than they'd get selling $20 seats to this thing even if they could sell out while still charging for it

As for the raffle, that's absolutely the best way to distribute tickets.. First off, everyone entering the raffle has just raised their hand as a fan who will probably buy tickets to games during future seasons.. If you weren't already there, you're now in their CRM database with your info and IP address to identify you.. If you were there (from previous contests or buying tickets) this just highlights you as a better lead for ticket sales.. You're clearly a more passionate fan if you're entering multiple contests.. Now, every time you go to the Devils' website it will recognize you by your IP address (assuming you are on the same device), so they can track how often you visit and what pages to determine how "hot" of a lead you are.. This is the world of marketing automation.. They got more long-term value out of the raffle than if they just sold tix outright to the draft..

Not only that, but if they wanted to, they could choose "winners" who are hotter leads in their CRM.. Why not reward the people on your website the most, entering more contests and buying more tickets.. This data is easily pulled and it wouldn't surprise me if the drawing isn't totally random.. You can bet they aren't drawing from a large hat

Also, given our proximity to other teams, a public sale would most likely have resulted in more Rangers/Islanders/Flyers fans than there will be.. Like I said, they can target the winners to only be people that their database recognizes as buying tickets and visiting the website more frequently, so they could avoid fans of other teams entering the raffle and receiving tickets by just removing "colder" accounts from the drawing

Edited by Colin226

Totally agree.. Obviously you have to reward your STH for the 44 game, several thousand dollar commitment they've made to you.. And, you can potentially leverage the event to sell more season tickets from the event.. Devils did a great job delaying the raffle in order try and entice people to buy, and they've sold about 300 season tickets over the past month so it may have worked

As for the raffle, that's absolutely the best way to distribute tickets.. First off, everyone entering the raffle has just raised their hand as a fan who will probably buy tickets to games during future seasons.. If you weren't already there, you're now in their CRM database with your info and IP address to identify you.. If you were there (from previous contests or buying tickets) this just highlights you as a better lead for ticket sales.. You're clearly a more passionate fan if you're entering multiple contests.. Now, every time you go to the Devils' website it will recognize you by your IP address (assuming you are on the same device), so they can track how often you visit and what pages to determine how "hot" of a lead you are.. This is the world of marketing automation.. They got more long-term value out of the raffle than if they just sold tix outright to the draft..

Not only that, but if they wanted to, they could choose "winners" who are hotter leads in their CRM.. Why not reward the people on your website the most, entering more contests and buying more tickets.. This data is easily pulled and it wouldn't surprise me if the drawing isn't totally random.. You can bet they aren't drawing from a large hat

Also, given our proximity to other teams, a public sale would most likely have resulted in more Rangers/Islanders/Flyers fans than there will be.. Like I said, they can target the winners to only be people that their database recognizes as buying tickets and visiting the website more frequently, so they could avoid fans of other teams entering the raffle and receiving tickets by just removing "colder" accounts from the drawing

So basically just go on their website and hit refresh like a madman until tomorrow lol.

My company uses CRM too so this is pretty cool also.  I figure the raffle might be in a sense "weighted" towards those who they view as potential ST buyers in the near future.

So basically just go on their website and hit refresh like a madman until tomorrow lol.

My company uses CRM too so this is pretty cool also. I figure the raffle might be in a sense "weighted" towards those who they view as potential ST buyers in the near future.

lol yeah we use Oracle CRM with Eloqua as the marketing engine which is why I'm up on all this.. Devils have something very similar and you can't blame them for using it to their advantage if they do.. Makes perfect business sense

Yes I do think I'm entitled to have a more than 4% shot at tickets. If that's enraging, so be it.

You are not entitled to anything.  Neither am I or anyone else that doesn't own the team.  It's completely their choice how to distribute their tickets, and they have chosen to reward the people that pay the most for their product over the course of a season.  Who are you to say that is wrong?

BTW...you have a 100% shot at the tickets.  You said that you wanted an opportunity to purchase them.  Well, the ebay sellers are giving you that opportunity.  Buy them and guarantee yourself a seat.   

Edited by Chuck the Duck