Jersey Etiquette

imissricher

just get your favorite player. That's why I got Elias even though he won't be around forever instead of Parise or Zajac. And knowing this team, if somebody leaves, they'll probably be coming back in couple of yrs anyway :giggle:

IMO The name and number on the back of your jersey should be unique and have meaning to YOU. It's sort of like a tattoo, just much less permanent.

There really is no "etiquette", although I do echo your sentiments about ignoramus morons walking around with STEVENS on the back of a Kansas City Scouts jersey.

The name and number you choose should be a player that you will always love no matter what happens in the future. That being said, I think You and I should be friends cause I've been proudly wearing my Richer jersey for almost 15 years now :thumbsup:

I'm in the 'get what you want' group.

I wear my Peluso jersey with the 95 cup patch with pride. I want to get a McKay one for the 2000 Cup. I'll wear my Brodeur jersey long after he's retired, and I eventually want to get Terreri on my white and green one. There's no reason to ignore a favorite player from the past. That's part of what being a fan is all about. If you can find the older style jersey frome before the Edge jerseys, get a Richer jersey.

I'm still tossing around the idea of a Corey Schwab, haha.

It depends why the player leaves. Obviously a Gomez jersey is a lot different than a Stevens jersey. Jerseys of retired greats never go out of style. I didn't even get my Stevens jersey until after he retired. Just make sure that if you care about accuracy you get a jersey that is correct for the time period. I hate seeing Scott Stevens Reebok Edge jerseys.

Count me in on the same group. I've been tossing around the idea having one of my blank jerseys customized for Peluso. It can't look any worse than my Langenbrunner one from NHL.com that I'm too embarrassed to even wear anymore because it looks so off.

Also, if there is jersey etiquette, I broke it two years ago when I got my name on back of a Devils jersey :evil:

I agree 100%. If you want to get a Klee jersey its your dollar.

I would love to see someone get a Ken Klee jersey. His retirement has hit me hard, because while "GREENE-FENSE!" is all well and good, it's not quite the same as "KLEE-FENSE!"

I completely disagree with the etiquette article. The author sounds like an arrogant ass who seems to devalue anything in the past... except pro bowls? If you want to wear a Jason Arnott jersey today, I don't think you should be ridiculed for that... you shouldn't have to wait for Arnott to retire to pull that out of the closet again. By the same pro-bowl logic... I say if you are wearing an Arnott Devils jersey you are honoring the Devils past and his contributions as a Devil...

There also isn't a time limit for a jersey. Its ideal to try to match eras (ie christmas jersey), but you should be able to celebrate team history. Plus, I think old jerseys that are ragged have more charm than a fresh jersey.

JERSEY FOUL!!!

/PuckDaddy

Just you wait, I'm gonna blow up Jersey Fouls when I finally break down and order my Devils jerseys with "THELASTALIVE" and "1" or "MANADVANTAGE" and "2" as the names and numbers, respectively. :evil:

Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

The only thing that's stopping me is the cost. If I could just find someone to do it, legit-style, cheaper than the $70-80 I'm finding everywhere I look.

My first jersey had my last name. I wanted a jersey I could wear forever and not worry about the player.

My second jersey is an Elias jersey.

My third is a RBK Edge signed by the whole team with Brodeur on the back.

I have a blank that will be a Zajac.

I completely disagree with the etiquette article. The author sounds like an arrogant ass who seems to devalue anything in the past... except pro bowls? If you want to wear a Jason Arnott jersey today, I don't think you should be ridiculed for that... you shouldn't have to wait for Arnott to retire to pull that out of the closet again. By the same pro-bowl logic... I say if you are wearing an Arnott Devils jersey you are honoring the Devils past and his contributions as a Devil...

There also isn't a time limit for a jersey. Its ideal to try to match eras (ie christmas jersey), but you should be able to celebrate team history. Plus, I think old jerseys that are ragged have more charm than a fresh jersey.

i appreciate the kind words aylbert. i invite you to read the article again. i said nothing of the sort to "devalue anything from the past." and i never said you should be ridiculed for wearing an Arnott jersey. i'm talking about stitching a name (NOW) on a jersey. and i have absolutely no idea what your talking about regarding your two mentions of the pro bowl. what the hell are you talking about?

i appreciate the kind words aylbert. i invite you to read the article again. i said nothing of the sort to "devalue anything from the past." and i never said you should be ridiculed for wearing an Arnott jersey. i'm talking about stitching a name (NOW) on a jersey. and i have absolutely no idea what your talking about regarding your two mentions of the pro bowl. what the hell are you talking about?

I believe he's referring to the article that YOU linked in the original post. The author of that blog seems snobbish.

As for when it got stitched, who cares? I had an authentic jersey from the mid-late 90's in a closet. I found a 1995 patch on Ebay and got the jersey personalized with Peluso last year. It's a nod to the past, and something that long time fans appreciate. If you get a Richer jersey, I'm sure people will definitely compliment you at the Rock. I think we all appreciate our past here.

I believe he's referring to the article that YOU linked in the original post. The author of that blog seems snobbish.

As for when it got stitched, who cares? I had an authentic jersey from the mid-late 90's in a closet. I found a 1995 patch on Ebay and got the jersey personalized with Peluso last year. It's a nod to the past, and something that long time fans appreciate. If you get a Richer jersey, I'm sure people will definitely compliment you at the Rock. I think we all appreciate our past here.

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh - my bad. i thought he meant i was an ass. well i am sometimes, but thats besides the point. i didn't mean for that guy from New Orleans to speak for me. i just brought it into the mix to illustrate etiquette. thanks for clearing that up Devil Dan 56.

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh - my bad. i thought he meant i was an ass. well i am sometimes, but thats besides the point. i didn't mean for that guy from New Orleans to speak for me. i just brought it into the mix to illustrate etiquette. thanks for clearing that up Devil Dan 56.

And here I thought you wrote that article and took offense to me :)

Sorry for any confusion... I definitely was talking about the article you linked, and that's where I got the pro bowl from :)

If you like the player enough, get the jersey. The fact that Madden signed with Chicago doesn't change my feelings towards him at all. He was my favorite player when I bought the Jersey, and he still is. I haven't decided if I'll wear the jersey when we play the Blackhawks, but I feel no shame in having it. Gomez would be a different story, but he was a bit of a d!ck when he was here, so it didn't really shock me when he left like a d!ck.

Well unfortunately I got Gomez on my official jersey back in 2000. It has the 2000 patch and the stanley cup patch on it too. It WAS my favorite jersey, I still love it but hate that it has Gomez on it, of all people. Man how times change. Because I don't want to look like an ignoramus I can't quite get Clarkson put over it then either, which is a shame. But still, if you have a favorite player get their name on the jersey. Just hope they don't go to the Rangers, ugh.

I'm hoping to get a red & green Parise this year and it won't look stupid anymore! :)

Well unfortunately I got Gomez on my official jersey back in 2000. It has the 2000 patch and the stanley cup patch on it too. It WAS my favorite jersey, I still love it but hate that it has Gomez on it, of all people. Man how times change. Because I don't want to look like an ignoramus I can't quite get Clarkson put over it then either, which is a shame.

Just send it to Exclusive Pro and have them turn it into a Brodeur, Stevens, Elias, Daneyko, or whatever.

When it came to buying Jersey's in the past, I alway's tried to stay with getting a player that's been around for awhile. Player's that have shown loyalty to the Devils. I have numerous Brodeur, Stevens, Daneyko Jersey's. It took me awhile before i even got my Elias jersey. I even have an Authentic with my name on the back. Whatever you decide to do, just do it and don't look back