What was the most influential trade in NJ Devils History?

grcenter47

Most Influential Trade In NJ Devils History?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most influential trade ever done by the NJ Devils?

• Acquiring Ilya Kovalchuk from Atlanta for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier & First Round Draft Pick
    • Acquiring the First Round Draft Pick from Toronto (Niedermayer) for Kurvers
    • Acquiring Langenbrunner and Nieuwendyk from Dallas for Arnott, McKay, and a First Round Draft Pick
    • Acquiring Jason Arnott from Edmonton for Bill Guerin and Valeri Zelepukin
    • Acquiring Alexander Mogilny from Vancouver for Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison
    • Acquiring Neal Broten from Dallas for Corey Millen
    • Acquiring Claude Lemieux from Montreal for Sylvain Turgeon
    • Acquiring Peter Stastny from Quebec for Craig Wolanin & future considerations
    • Acquiring Jeff Friesen and Oleg Tverdovsky & others from Anaheim for Petr Sykora, Mike Commodore & others
    • Acquiring Bobby Holik and Conditional Draft Pick(Jay Pandolfo) from Hartford for Sean Burke and Eric Weinrich
    • Acquiring Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske from Montreal for Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson

I was wondering what everyone thought was the most influential trade done by the New Jersey Devils and your reasons why. I was able to come up with 11 off the top of my head which I think influenced the Devils. There might be others but at the moment I can't think of anymore.

:gd:

Edited by grcenter47

You are forgetting perhaps the biggest.

The Flames also traded up in the first round, dealing their pick, No. 20 over all, and a pair of second-rounders, Nos. 24 and 29, for New Jersey's first-rounder, 11th over all, and the Devils' No. 2 pick, No. 32. The Flames used the higher pick to take Trevor Kidd from Brandon of the Western Hockey League, the highest-rated goaltender in the draft.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEEDA1639F934A25755C0A966958260

I think we all know who the Devils drafted at 20.

Edited by devilsrule33

You are forgetting perhaps the biggest.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEEDA1639F934A25755C0A966958260

I think we all know who the Devils drafted at 20.

This.

But personally, acquiring nieds was pretty huge for this organization.

I hope 10 years from now, we look back and say "damn I'm glad we got kovalchuk", but we'll have to just wait and see.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Brodeur, Kovalchuk, Niedermayer in that order. historically, the Kovalchuk trade will be the biggest one when it's done. it'll shape the franchise for at least 10 years, either positively, negatively, or meh. yeah, that's a captain obvious statement. but, it could end up being his and his alone, because of the nature of the league. Nieds was an indentured servant until 2005. none of these guys around now will be.

Brodeur's is kinda lost in the shuffle historically, and who knows, maybe they would have picked him at 11 anyway.

but anyways, that signing (which 99.9% wouldn't have happened if not for the trade), put the trade through the roof. no signing, and it's just a curiosity, like Gretzky with the Blues, where someone sees something 20 years later and says "that guy played for them? really?"

Edited by maxpower

Since ive been following the Devils (1999) My favorite trade was the Langs and Nieuwendyk trade. Both of whom were two of my favotire players outside the Devils.

I remember Luo saying the trade was to help with face-offs (Niuwendyk was one of the best, if not the best ever at face-offs) I loved watching him take draws, and i think the face-off is the most underrated play in hockey among fans. Anyway, Although Nieuwy was hurt for part of the 03 playoffs, Langs was clutch and I dont think the Devils win the cup in 03 without that trade.

Pretty solid list...I wouldn't have put the Stastny deal up there, simply because he was clearly past his prime when he got here...if you look his Devil numbers, they're not bad by today's standards, but for the era he played in they were clearly nothing special.

I'd have to say Lemieux, because the guy simply hated to lose and gave it his all and clearly was an influence, and was acquired for a guy in Turgeon who couldn't have been more of Claude's polar opposite...an all-time overachiever for an all-time underachiever.

Another deal that be worth adding to that list might is the acquisiton of Doug Gilmour and Dave Ellett for Alyn McCauley, Jason Smith, and Steve Sullivan...Sullivan did go on to have a pretty nice post-Devils career, and Smith played a lot of seasons as well.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Another deal that be worth adding to that list might is the acquisiton of Doug Gilmour and Dave Ellett for Alyn McCauley, Jason Smith, and Steve Sullivan...Sullivan did go on to have a pretty nice post-Devils career, and Smith played a lot of seasons as well.

Good call. I may be alone in thinking this, but I felt as though the acquisition of Gilmour had a huge positive effect on Niedermayer. Killer did a good amount of work on the half boards and point on our power plays during that time, and that's around the same time that Nieds really turned into the elite puck-distributing point man we all remember him as.

Another reason Gilmour's time here was influential was that, at the time, Lou negotiated new contracts before the old ones expired. Stevens, Brodeur and Gilmour were all courting offers from Lou mid-season, but Johnny Mac wasn't. That was part of what drove MacLean to want out, and presumably a part of why Lou no longer talks contracts until old ones expire.

Patrik Sundstrom for Kirk McLean and Greg Adams was huge at the time.

God I wish Sundstrom hadn't had those bad knees.

That is actually a very vital trade for the franchise as it seemed Sundstrom was really the first acquired Devil to actually positively impact the franchise. AFter his acquisition the team slowly morphed from Mickey Mouse to learning how to win.

Good call Leeds.

I'd have to say Lemieux, because the guy simply hated to lose and gave it his all and clearly was an influence, and was acquired for a guy in Turgeon who couldn't have been more of Claude's polar opposite...an all-time overachiever for an all-time underachiever.

OUI Claude!!!