Would you trade Adam Larsson...

Beetlebum

Defense wins championships, not the occasion slap shot.

Which is why Stevens changed his game when he came to NJ, he was an offensive force who realized he needed to focus on "D" to win...

We were talking about one specific player and his role. Not about the whole system. Stevens didnt win single handedly..."this is team" ?

We saw what it brought us to be perfect defensively as a  team but no one to put the puck in the net steadily, you need guys like that and all kinds of roles. Gelinas certainly has something to bring to the table that teams need.

Edited by SterioDesign

Defense wins championships, not the occasion slap shot.

Which is why Stevens changed his game when he came to NJ, he was an offensive force who realized he needed to focus on "D" to win...

Stevens changed his game after Lamoriello asked him to become more defensive minded.  I remember him saying as much in an interview he gave before going itno the HOF.  He bought into what the team was building at the time (all credit to him) and it definitely worked out for the best.

Gelinas' value really is on the power play.  If he's not playing well there and is not putting up points on the PP, that's when he will be pulled from the lineup. 

Gelinas is an absolute weapon and needs to play. He brings an extra element back there. The guys wrist shot is about as good as some slappers I've seen from the blueline, and his slapshot puts the fear of god into the opposition.

Look at the first two goals against Florida. This is what Gelinas brings that few others can. His wristers were absolute bombs. This is not just the occasional slapshot anymore

Larsson and his skating to me is more of a concern than Gelinas occasional defensive lapses. We can live with that because of what he brings offensively. Gelinas has only played 64 NHL games as a defenseman and already has 31 points. That's not nothing. If this guy becomes a 15 goal 50 point guy from the blueline then we can live with whatever he brings defensively (which should improve over time) He's close to that already. How many NHL defenseman out there are 50+ point guys? Last year I'd wager less than 10. If you have this kind of commodity you need to hold on to him

Edited by '7'

It's really too bad that all of these guys are forced to prove themselves at the same time. None of them have much trade value right now, but it would suck to lose any of Severson, Larsson, Gelinas, or Merrill. I really hope they can find a way to make it work, but I'd be pretty pissed if I were Larsson.

Its clear that Larsson is the odd man out. There is zero reason to give a 21 year old player a 1 year deal unless you don't think he's any good and you don't see a future for him. If you do, you lock him up for a period of years, not one season. 

it may be that there's an understanding for all the youngsters that its the last season for Salvador and possibly Zids so that they will all have their spots "somewhat guaranteed" next season and that they'd have more room for Larsson's cap hit and all with Bryce gone. 

That's probably not it but there's a possible reason lol

it may be that there's an understanding for all the youngsters that its the last season for Salvador and possibly Zids so that they will all have their spots "somewhat guaranteed" next season and that they'd have more room for Larsson's cap hit and all with Bryce gone. 

That's probably not it but there's a possible reason lol

i sure hope that this is the last season for salvador..although i couldnt be surprised if louis threw another year at him, cant doubt anything around here.. zids iam happy to keep giving 1 year deals to as long as he stays on his game.. if i had to guess larsson will dip out of here first second he gets to go somewhere he will be guaranteed a spot

I don't think DeBoer would replace Salvador with Larsson if there were a injury to Sal. I hate to say it but, I have said it before DeBoer would select Harrold as Sal's injury replacement. DeBoer is going to trust a kid he keeps benching to replace a stay at home D Vet who plays a lot of minutes per game. IMO DeBoer is coaching on a short leash, he is not a risk taker, why is Gionta playing, DeBoer knows what he has in Gionta. DeBoer is going with Tootoo because Lou signed him, if Tootoo continues to play like he has he will be in Albany or a healthy scratch because DeBoer will tell Lou to lengthen the leash because he didn't want Tootoo.

DeBoer is going with Tootoo because Lou signed him, if Tootoo continues to play like he has he will be in Albany or a healthy scratch because DeBoer will tell Lou to lengthen the leash because he didn't want Tootoo.

Did I miss Chere or TG reporting Pete didn't want Tootoo? Right....

Its clear that Larsson is the odd man out. There is zero reason to give a 21 year old player a 1 year deal unless you don't think he's any good and you don't see a future for him. If you do, you lock him up for a period of years, not one season.

There is a very good reason to give a 21 year old a 1 year deal when you aren't sure what he is. This is his year to show them.

Also, Fayne at out the first few games last year and played 70. The October roster will be different from the April one

Holy crap do you guys put way to much emphasis on Larsson's below-average skating.

Tri or one of the stat guys mentioned it once last year, and now it's all some of you guys harp on. It's like the new buzz word here.

He makes smart plays, he's got average shot.. He's a capable NHL defenseman at this point. He'll be a solid top-4 guy somewhere soon. Hopefully here.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think now might be a good time to package Larsson, a forward and a draft pick for one of Edmonton's young and talented forwards.  Severson is playing well and with confidence and hopefully will carry through the season.  NJ is getting very long in the tooth with their forwards and could use a young forward to build for the future and provide some scoring immediately while Edmonton needs defense.  Possibly a package for Eberle or Yakupov, start asking for Nuge but that is most likely a pipe dream.

Seems to me that the Devs are getting a good amoubnt of offense out of Severson, Zid 7 Greene, why not send Gelinas down to learn to play DEFENSE!!!

Careful now, he's the board's golden boy. You're going to get some backlash for suggesting such a thing.

Gelinas is a glorified MAB at this point.

Seems to me that the Devs are getting a good amoubnt of offense out of Severson, Zid 7 Greene, why not send Gelinas down to learn to play DEFENSE!!!

This logic is flawed because we need all of their offense including Gelinas.  Sending Gelinas down would be a mistake.  I hate saying this but I've seen Greene make more defensive mistakes than Gelinas has this year.

Careful now, he's the board's golden boy. You're going to get some backlash for suggesting such a thing.

Gelinas is a glorified MAB at this point.

Gelinas has actually shown he can play defense though.  Gelinas at worst is below average defensively and at best average defensively right now.  MAB was a trainwreck defensively.

Edited by Mike Brown