What to do if we lose Parise?

mort4345

When teams target players they are paying for the player as a whole pacakge. As people in hockey and Devils players have pointed out, Zach is much more than what shows up on the score sheet. He is a fierce competitor and a leader. These intangibles cannot necessarily be measured, or priced out. I do not think that anyone in their right mind would have thought that Zach was gonna win games singlehandedly at any point...so I do not think this postseason run has revealed anything that wasn't already known. But what was shown is that Zach can lead and he will battle....

With that being said, I do not think we should pay him more than 7.5M/yr for 8 years. If the Wild wanna back up the truck and give him a 90-100M contract, I think he walks and I wouldn't blame him. It could just end up being one of those type of things; relative overpayment to get their man......

I don't disagree with anything you've written. I'm just taking a business approach towards this. Those intangibles really only matter if you win or if they help attendance. They may also only matter to one particular team as opposed to others (would his leadership abilities be that important on Detroit, Pittsburgh or Boston...etc.). Although you can argue that Zach may be the best 2 way player in hockey today (and let's not discount his shoot out ability--that alone may be worth 3-5 points per year), his individual impact on a hockey game is not at that elite level, but one step below. And because he is, teams like Minnesota saying they won't be outbid for Parise makes the move seem desperate, and that means if NJ chases they may end up overspending badly. I'm exactly where you are when it comes to contract, but for a longer period and obviously front loaded.

....and I want him back.....badly. :)

What if we trade his rights for 1st round picks the next 2 years to help offset the one we have to give up. And then parise resigns with us anyway on july 1st

No team would offer us 1 first round pick, much less 2, for the chance to talk to someone.

We'd be lucky to get a 2nd and a servicable roster player for his rights. The Flyers got a third and minor league trash for Bryz's rights.

The only way I could conceivably see Lou trading his rights is if Parise has told him that he won't re-sign under any circumstances. Since that's not going to happen, neither is this trade.

Yep, agree 100%. If Parise's rights are moved, its because Parise wants out. There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that is the case.

Any Parise "move" we hear now are from hopeful fans of other teams. Like that absolutely horrendous Colorado rumor.

Yep, agree 100%. If Parise's rights are moved, its because Parise wants out. There is absolutely no indication whatsoever that is the case.

Any Parise "move" we hear now are from hopeful fans of other teams. Like that absolutely horrendous Colorado rumor.

You get trash for trading someone's rights, as has been said earlier. Unless Parise says flat out he's not re-signing it's not something you do. And even if he said something like that, the return is not even worth the minute possibility that he changes his mind at the last minute.

When there's a rumor out there of trading for someone's rights, especially when it's Lou, you know the story is made up.

You get trash for trading someone's rights, as has been said earlier. Unless Parise says flat out he's not re-signing it's not something you do. And even if he said something like that, the return is not even worth the minute possibility that he changes his mind at the last minute.

When there's a rumor out there of trading for someone's rights, especially when it's Lou, you know the story is made up.

You just repeated two of my prior posts in this thread ;) lol

The Colorado rumors were even more ridiculous for having talk that Parise already had a deal with Colorado. It's a legal impossibility.

Ah the Twitter age.

I don't disagree with anything you've written. I'm just taking a business approach towards this. Those intangibles really only matter if you win or if they help attendance. They may also only matter to one particular team as opposed to others (would his leadership abilities be that important on Detroit, Pittsburgh or Boston...etc.). Although you can argue that Zach may be the best 2 way player in hockey today (and let's not discount his shoot out ability--that alone may be worth 3-5 points per year), his individual impact on a hockey game is not at that elite level, but one step below. And because he is, teams like Minnesota saying they won't be outbid for Parise makes the move seem desperate, and that means if NJ chases they may end up overspending badly. I'm exactly where you are when it comes to contract, but for a longer period and obviously front loaded.

....and I want him back.....badly. :)

I wonder what the most total money the Devils are willing to put into his contract? $60 mill? $70 mill? $80??!?

Could we possibly give him something like a 12 year $84 MILL contract? (frontloaded of course as is the norm these days)

I wonder what the most total money the Devils are willing to put into his contract? $60 mill? $70 mill? $80??!?

Could we possibly give him something like a 12 year $84 MILL contract? (frontloaded of course as is the norm these days)

My gut says 8 years 62 million, big cap hit.

There was a lot of talk during the playoffs this year about team chemistry and whatnot. If Parise doesn't come back then the Devils have to look seriously as selling high on some of their guys in order to fill more pressing needs that will allow them to get back to where they were only to win this time. I'm talking about guys like Fayne, Greene, and Clarkson. We have some D coming through the pipeline and we need some help up front. Especially if we lose Parise.