New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Dreger posted that a source says it's a $100 million deal for 10 years. man if that is true so long Kovalchuk. I don't care how much you say you want to win, that offer probably blows everything else out of the water.

Didn't the Thrashers offer him something like that?

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes no sense. It would be like asking Kovy if he'd prefer the islander shade of poo over the thrasher shade.

Snow, you're just another shade of poo you knucklehead.

Yeah, of course, if you believe every word that comes out of the mouth of a professional athlete. :lol:

i would hope for kovy, this is just a ploy to milk every possible dollar from LA. i'd be embarrassed for him if he ended up in NYI w/ a 10/100 contract.

No joke, that's like lebron going to the clippers.......Except the isles already used the marketing scheme of " the franchise" in john tavares.

apparantly that was a publicty stunt, and the actual offer was much less. With or without kovie, still trying to figure out the isles. but maybe they'll be this year's avalanche

Nope. Last year Kovy was offered a 12 year, 101 million dollar contract and a 7 year, 70 million dollar contract from the Thrashers, both of which he turned down.

I think you're thinking abot the contract he was offered from the KHL. That one turned out to be exaggerated and a publicity stunt.

Edited by ben00rs

God, talk about bidding against yourself - I'd be surprised if the Devils and Kings offered even HALF that. But hey they couldn't get Martin or Hamhuis to take their money so this is their last roll of the dice to make a big splash this offseason :P

ah ben, that's what i was thinking of. WHat happened the good ole times of signing players for 15 years ;] ( with a low cap hit)

God, talk about bidding against yourself - I'd be surprised if the Devils and Kings offered even HALF that. But hey they couldn't get Martin or Hamhuis to take their money so this is their last roll of the dice to make a big splash this offseason :P

once again, they either fill out the roster with remaining cap room, or trade someone for something bigger...

If the 10/100 reports from NYI are true, then I believe this puts an end to any chance Kovy ends up here. In fact, I pretty much guarantee he ends up on the Island. He turned down Atlanta's offer because he felt he could get the same money from a good team during free agency. Now that he's a UFA and the only offers he's getting from good teams are only $7-8M, he has no reason not to sign with the Islanders.

If the 10/100 reports from NYI are true, then I believe this puts an end to any chance Kovy ends up here. In fact, I pretty much guarantee he ends up on the Island. He turned down Atlanta's offer because he felt he could get the same money from a good team during free agency. Now that he's a UFA and the only offers he's getting from good teams are only $7-8M, he has no reason not to sign with the Islanders.

That is just stupid money. I mean he would wind up looking like such a hypocrite but who cares when you're making bank like that? I'd say the Isles offer is at least 30 million more then the Devils best offer regardless of the # of years.

If the Isles were crazy enough to offer that, good luck. 10 years/100 mill is INSANE.

It's actually not insane at all. The Isles are having an extremely hard time attracting good players to their team. The only thing they can do to have a chance at a guy like Kovy, is to give an "insane" offer like this.

i think the team played better without him, and we did great yesturday with signings. well be fine i think. if the isles get him nc will actually sell out alot which might make more people fight to keep the isles on the island, and if that happens just maybe the town of hempstead can pull their heads out of the a ses and approve some plan to keep them.

It's times like this I'm happy Lou is in charge.

As much flack as he's been getting on these boards recently, at least we know he won't lose his mind in a bidding war like this.

But this story will certainly get LA and NJ to give their best, final offers. You have to now.

And then, it's Kovalchuk's decision to make.

It's actually not insane at all. The Isles are having an extremely hard time attracting good players to their team. The only thing they can do to have a chance at a guy like Kovy, is to give an "insane" offer like this.

Getting Kovy does not = winning. Especially when you're giving him at least 1/6 of your cap for the next decade. It is insane if your goal is to win but clearly they have other issues in mind.

i would hope for kovy, this is just a ploy to milk every possible dollar from LA. i'd be embarrassed for him if he ended up in NYI w/ a 10/100 contract.

I'd be greatly amused. What the hell do I care, he played here for 3 months, that puts him in the Pantheon of Great Former Devils such as Phil Housley and Jan Hrdina. actually, I think Jan Hrdina scored 2 goals against the Flyers too.

Getting Kovy does not = winning. Especially when you're giving him at least 1/6 of your cap for the next decade. It is insane if your goal is to win but clearly they have other issues in mind.

Of course I agree with this. My only point is that IF they are going to go for Kovy then they're gonna have to throw out an "insane" offer to attract him.

Is there any player that deserves to get 1/6 of a team's cap?

The longer this goes on, the more I feel we should just back out and get someone who would actually like to be here. As much as I want to believe that Kovy is just taking his time, realistically the guy is just chasing the $$$.

Look at Clarkson earlier this week...there's a guy who REALLY wants to be a Devil for his entire career. Players with that type of devotion to a team no longer exist. Those are the guys who put in the extra effort during the playoffs, those are the guys who would do just about anything to win another cup for this team. What we don't need is more guys looking to just cash in on a nice paycheck.

Like I have said before, if Kovy signs here, so be it. But if he goes elsewhere, no tears here.

Yes the Islanders are interested in Kovy and want to offer him possibly the 10-years $100M, but CMON there is NO WAY Kovy goes to the Islanders and play for a NON contender and in that old dump of a building! LMAO!

Think about it people. Kovy might as well have stayed in Atlanta if that was the case. This is just another bored writer and GM with pipe dreams of thinking of landing the big prize of the UFA. Its NOT going to happen. By Monday or Tuesday we will most likely see....Ilya Kovalchuk to New Jersey! Hopefully.