Just STOP

njdevil26

So now we have a number of people commenting here that really care for the well-being of this forum.

Let's start with that, not give the trolls any fuel... and just talk hockey and have some fun. Hopefully the Devs win tonight and that'll help the cause.

It's unfortunate. I always preferred this forum because it felt more like a community. You had your knowledgeable people, your emotional people, those who contributed personality and humor, those who kept things grounded, so on and so forth. There was a great balance that, IMO, didn't exist in the over-populated, ADHD-suffering HF community.

But lately it's gotten bad here with all the childishness. It got to the point where I actually started posting over at HF for a bit, but I got a taste of how ridiculous their Mods are with their gestapo-like power drunkeness and selective enforcement based on how buddy-buddy you are with them. I will NEVER go back to that worthless forum again.

As bad as things can get around here, at least it isn't HF.

Hello, ignore feature.

I've been a member here for a very long time. It used to be a nice place to go to talk Devils when the only other option was the NJ.com boards (what a train wreck that place was).

I find myself coming here less and less - the discussion and news I used to look for here I get from Puck Daddy, TG's Blog and Twitter.

I must say, the people who have nothing better to do than belittle, bitch and moan play a large role in me not being involved here.

Agreed on all accounts. And as our voices get quieter because we're on other places on the internet...the voices of those arguing gets even louder and more noticeable.

It's been nice going on the r/hockey and r/devils subreddits on reddit and getting discussion, but with self-moderation (aka upvoting/downvoting posts).

It's unfortunate. I always preferred this forum because it felt more like a community. You had your knowledgeable people, your emotional people, those who contributed personality and humor, those who kept things grounded, so on and so forth. There was a great balance that, IMO, didn't exist in the over-populated, ADHD-suffering HF community.

But lately it's gotten bad here with all the childishness. It got to the point where I actually started posting over at HF for a bit, but I got a taste of how ridiculous their Mods are with their gestapo-like power drunkeness and selective enforcement based on how buddy-buddy you are with them. I will NEVER go back to that worthless forum again.

As bad as things can get around here, at least it isn't HF.

Hello, ignore feature.

HF can get a little tight. I got an infraction for making a joke about deer to lighten the mood during the Kovy saga I remember. I got an infraction and a message that told me to stay on topic.

It WAS off topic though but a good point. I was thinking instead of hunting and killing deer, we have a town council meeting and force them to pay a portion of property taxes for the backyard they hang out in. It would provide tax relief to residents, and make sure the deer are doing their part by paying for the land they crap on literally.

Seriously, I can't believe you point to "Rangers (or 'you') suck" as a classless example. the rangers/flyers fans go out of their way to do much worse and the big problem is our fans tend to get sucked in and stoop to their level. If you want to chant something after a goal who cares? If you don't believe in doing it, it's your choice, nobody asked you. Yes, some people should cut it out with all the whining and bitching. There are a few (honestly I don't pay attention to names so I won't provide examples, and frankly don't feel like getting into internet battles of intelligence insulting) who act like they have inside knowledge on here all the time and won't listen to other sides of a story. Do you work for NHL Network? MSG, (god help me here) ESPN, etc? no? Then your info weighs as much as anyone else on here! I personally don't ever remember being flamed on here but I do notice it a lot and stop reading the thread before I get pissed enough to call someone out for what they wrote and start a whole thing...

The classless part is not what a few people do to jab at the other team/team's fans at the arena, its what people do online, personally attacking someone just because you don't agree with something they wrote. If you don't agree, just say so and provide reasoning, don't go insulting someone's intelligence or hockey knowledge. Not everyone watched every game from opening night in '82 and knows all the players and stats from the Devils in the past 30 years. Some are just casual fans, some are hardcore. Everyone should be able to post their opinions, content and info on here without fear of being called some name because of ignorance or whatever, if you post something, and someone provides credible evidence to the contrary, just let it go, it's just hockey and it's just an online forum, it's not life, and if it is life for you, you really need to get out and get a better one...

• Like 2

HF can get a little tight. I got an infraction for making a joke about deer to lighten the mood during the Kovy saga I remember. I got an infraction and a message that told me to stay on topic.

It WAS off topic though but a good point. I was thinking instead of hunting and killing deer, we have a town council meeting and force them to pay a portion of property taxes for the backyard they hang out in. It would provide tax relief to residents, and make sure the deer are doing their part by paying for the land they crap on literally.

lol, even HF isn't as bad as a Mets forum I occasionly post on where I was banned forever on a first offense - using the term 'buttbuddy' to describe the relationship between the GM and one of his assistants.

But yeah, one guy over there who recently became a mod seems to be the most overofficious, but I haven't been infracted yet so it doesn't bother me - yet :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Seriously, I can't believe you point to "Rangers (or 'you') suck" as a classless example. the rangers/flyers fans go out of their way to do much worse and the big problem is our fans tend to get sucked in and stoop to their level. If you want to chant something after a goal who cares? If you don't believe in doing it, it's your choice, nobody asked you. Yes, some people should cut it out with all the whining and bitching. There are a few (honestly I don't pay attention to names so I won't provide examples, and frankly don't feel like getting into internet battles of intelligence insulting) who act like they have inside knowledge on here all the time and won't listen to other sides of a story. Do you work for NHL Network? MSG, (god help me here) ESPN, etc? no? Then your info weighs as much as anyone else on here! I personally don't ever remember being flamed on here but I do notice it a lot and stop reading the thread before I get pissed enough to call someone out for what they wrote and start a whole thing...

The classless part is not what a few people do to jab at the other team/team's fans at the arena, its what people do online, personally attacking someone just because you don't agree with something they wrote. If you don't agree, just say so and provide reasoning, don't go insulting someone's intelligence or hockey knowledge. Not everyone watched every game from opening night in '82 and knows all the players and stats from the Devils in the past 30 years. Some are just casual fans, some are hardcore. Everyone should be able to post their opinions, content and info on here without fear of being called some name because of ignorance or whatever, if you post something, and someone provides credible evidence to the contrary, just let it go, it's just hockey and it's just an online forum, it's not life, and if it is life for you, you really need to get out and get a better one...

Agreed.

I have so many things I can complain about as far as our fans' behavior in the arena... but it's not nearly as bad as Flyer fans and so on so that's not the issue.

The issue is we let ourselves get so consumed in petty BS. Our fan base could be so better if we stuck together.

lol, even HF isn't as bad as a Mets forum I occasionly post on where I was banned forever on a first offense - using the term 'buttbuddy' to describe the relationship between the GM and one of his assistants.

But yeah, one guy over there who recently became a mod seems to be the most overofficious, but I haven't been infracted yet so it doesn't bother me - yet :P

Is it Mike C? What a douche.

(Just kidding, he's handsome)

No, Cowbell lol. At least I won't get in trouble for this cause I use a different name over there.

Ohhh Steve. Yeah he's a nice guy. I got an infraction from him once. I forget what I did. But it's not just him... that's how they have to be over there. There are is almost one mod for every two users it's ridiculous.

That's not even that bad. The only other message board I go on is antsmarching.org, a Dave Matthews Band board. I have been there since 2004. I got an infraction in 2004 that took away my ability to post pictures and new threads (their penalty system). It was NEVER lifted.

Edited by njdevil26

i don't post often on the board as a discussion person (i seem to always say stupid/irrelevant/obvious things)

but i do read the threads, and it seems as if this board is just following the internet as a whole. Every board i go on is full of trolls, idiots and people who just want to get into arguments.

Anyone been on the New Jersey Devils Facebook page? that thing is just a troll haven and i feel embarrassed as a Devil fan to be associated with those people.

I joined this board because it was all Devils fans talking about the Devils. I have few friends who care about hockey, so i can at least see peoples opinions and thoughts about the team and the sport in general.

I started my feed and allowed people from this board to join because it is a good community of Devil and hockey fans in general

Arguments happen, its part of life, but the amount of stupid and unnecessary ones has definitely spiked... and yeah, we're not playing well right now, we get that.

NONE of us have any control over how the team plays or how it is constructed. All we can do is control our reactions to the team and their play.

We get it, they are sucking right now, and whatever the problems are, we hope as fans that they can turn it around and make this season enjoyable.

totally agree. This board has been my saving grace. I tried to write about the Devils and yeah - Scott Stevens and got just raked over the coals at general NHL boards. and I just didn't understand how hockey fans didn't understand HOCKEY! I mean they couldn't give on ANY point - it was like bizaaro world where hockey knowledge was just gone -- and the hockey people who knew hockey couldn't write to you because they were so in love with extolling their own knowledge reading their own posts with a few they deem elite as they --- I know I write it all the time but "Larry" just saved my soul on one of those boards and told me I indeed DID know what I was talking about I just had to understand no one else did and calm down and accept that fact. :lol: I was then able to look around and find Devils fans boards - then Brad recruited me here (BLAME DM!!!)

I still love this place and know enough of you that I still feel happy here -- but it IS getting to look a little like all the other boards :saddevil: I was never on the njo board and no one is saying it's likethat now so it's not all THAT horrible.

It's just everyone in far more into alienation than communication and that's sad.

:lol: I like it. You should run for office with ideas like that.

I posted in the thread about the Wendy's possibly figuring into the Devils ownership situation. Someone joked that, instead of the PSE&G Power Play, it'd be the Uncontrollable Bowels Power Play. I replied that ...

they could keep the PSE&G name, but now it'd stand for Poop Spraying Everywhere Greasily.

(I figured that, since it offended someone so greatly over there, I'd put it in spoiler tags here so my horribleness won't be forced on anybody here.)

That resulted in the post being edited with a hearty explanation of "No" and a thread about a very discussion-worthy topic being locked. Meanwhile, in the next thread, there was a cartoon of a woman choking on an invisible ... um ... phallus, and that was perfectly OK because that poster no doubt has shared a couple beers at Hell's Kitchen with the Mod.

To hell with that website. This thread inspired me to finally put Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum on ignore here. Random simpletons can be ignored and the forum can still be enjoyable. Mods who show less impartial discretion than refs calling recent Devils games are tougher to deal with.

No, Cowbell lol. At least I won't get in trouble for this cause I use a different name over there.

haha Same guy who censored me for making a poop joke.

Haha my deer comment was worth an infraction with an explanation of

"Dude, really? Stay on topic."

Then I posted a picture during the finals. Remember those Bruin ads with the big bear and the rules of the game? Well after the Burrows biting incident there was a shopped pic that said "Burrows bites pillows too." I cracked up, posted it, then got an infraction right away for posting offensive material.

Edited by njdevil26

Yeah Saturday's GDT is what prompted me to make this thread. I stay off the boards right after a loss because I know I'll probably get into it with someone... so I went on this morning to say something about defense and trades and such and read the last two pages and just got very annoyed.

Andrew,

I would consider you a friend and i don't consider you an enemy. However, i STRONGLY disagree with how you've handled this. To start a thread like this is just asking for the flames to be fanned one more time and new issues/problems to arise.

If you are going to start a thread like this and give undertones about settling offline differences and in person face to face, then don't you think it's a cop out to create a thread like this and not come out and talk directly at those you have a problem with? You want to propose confrontation but avoid it yourself?

Being you're good friends with Colin, don't sweat it. Colin and i talked about a few things behind the scenes. Needless to say we don't agree on how we view things with this team/organization and probably shouldn't have let the fan emotions get the best. That happens on these boards after watching a bad team as much as we all do here. I consider it over and done not something to create a thread over and point fingers.

Second, the Troll Bros. You're smart enough to know what these clowns are about, who they have their grudge towards and how they dislike this community openly. How they have avoided suspension is beyond me. Also, I do not believe in the ignore feature because everyone should have a voice to be seen and heard even trolls. If someone wants to take a personal shot at me, my family or anything else i should be able to see it and reply/react in kind and then handle it from there. You are right. There are too many people here that do not have the fortitude to handle personal issues off of the board.

Speaking of that and suspension, devsman brought up a great point above. I was suspended from here at one time and so was devsman. Both unfairly when you consider the compatible actions of our "peers" on here. Devsman was suspended for the same thing i've seen done 100 times. It's even more puzzling when you consider adam and hurricane are doing the same exact things that i was suspended for doing (including carrying "grudges" and personal "insults"). Plus, here's the one that really annoys me, the first names. Remember, the big issue that was made out of the use of first names on my part? However, mine can be used freely deliberately (as i was accused of) by trolls like Adam, The same people who were screaming and kicking about first names are very silent, oddly enough. I guess it proves my point that it's not what you say, it's who you say it to and who protests about it.

Edited by SJP20

C'mon, this thread is about this board, we all know HF sucks and that there's no way this place will become like that place.

Point is, people are going to complain about the mods whether they're too light or heavy-handed. It's up to the individual user for the most part whether it's too passive or hands on for their taste.

Andrew,

I would consider you a friend and i don't consider you an enemy. However, i STRONGLY disagree with how you've handled this. To start a thread like this is just asking for the flames to be fanned one more time and new issues/problems to arise.

If you are going to start a thread like this and give undertones about settling offline differences and in person face to face, then don't you think it's a cop out to create a thread like this and not come out and talk directly at those you have a problem with? You want to propose confrontation but avoid it yourself?

So, let's cut the crap. Being you're close friends with Colin, don't sweat it. Colin and i talked about a few things behind the scenes. Needless to say we don't agree on how we view things with this team/organization and probably shouldn't have let the fan emotions get the best which always happens on these boards after watching a bad team. I consider it over and done not something to create a thread over and point fingers.

Second, the Troll Bros. You're smart enough to know what these clowns are about, who they have their grudge towards and how they dislike this community openly. How they have avoided suspension is beyond me. Also, I do not believe in the ignore feature because everyone should have a voice to be seen and heard even trolls. If someone wants to take a personal shot at me, my family or anything else i should be able to see it and reply/react in kind and then handle it from there. You are right. There are too many people here that do not have the fortitude to handle personal issues off of the board.

Speaking of that and suspension, devsman brought up a great point above. I was suspended from here at one time and so was devsman. Both unfairly when you consider the compatible actions of our "peers" on here. Devsman was suspended for the same thing i've seen done 100 times. It's even more puzzling when you consider adam and hurricane are doing the same exact things that i was suspended for doing (including carrying "grudges" and personal "insults"). Plus, here's the one that really annoys me, the first names. Remember, the big issue that was made out of the use of first names on my part? However, mine can be used freely deliberately (as i was accused of) by trolls like Adam, The same people who were screaming and kicking about first names are very silent, oddly enough. I guess it "proves my point that it's not what you say, it's who you say it to and who protests".

Ken.... come on man. This is exactly what I'm talking about! I didn't say in my post that I have a problem with ANYONE at all.

Yeah Colin was mad at what had transpired between you two but not once did I mention either of you or your conversation. Colin is a very good friend of mine... but did you notice how I stayed out of it completely because it had nothing to do with me?

You're the only one in here that has a problem with this idea and in turn you're doing exactly what we were trying to avoid. You're naming names, instances, and problems!

I consider you a friend as well. But this thread is not about who did what and who is good or bad. I please urge you to stay away from that type of talk. This was just meant to bring the issue to light that there is a lot of BS going on and hopefully there's a way to clean it up without pointing fingers and creating more issues. It would give people the chance to re-think their actions and change things without having to be directly called out. While you question my motives and tell me this isn't a thread I should have made. You are the only one that has a problem with it.

Edited by njdevil26

The amount of bitching, complaining, and fighting on this message board is unbelievable.

Why don't you all carve out a time and place to meet and settle your differences in person? Half of you wouldn't show up and the other half would be trembling at the thought of a real life confrontation. I have been here for at least six years now... and I've gotten in a few arguments with some of you and it sure doesn't make me feel awesome for the rest of the day that I told off someone on the internet.

I'm not one-upping the mods here. God knows they all have real jobs and are too busy to police this place 24/7... but for the last few days, I've logged on here looking for some hockey discussion to get involved in. Instead, I find the same people fighting in almost every thread. People that think they have the right to judge other people's comments and opinions, people that are ALWAYS right, and other people who can't hold a conversation like a normal human being without flexing their internet muscles.

Either this is going to stop or I'm leaving. Not that I expect anyone to give a crap, but this place has turned into a garbage dump of jerk-offs. I've met some real nice people here (sadly, they don't come here any more for this very reason). Hell, I even met my girlfriend on here and we've been together for almost three years. This place USED to be a great place to visit up until lately.

I'm not mentioning any names or user names but you should know who you are. Stop ruining this community.

Thanks.

(Waits for the ensuing argument)

HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT THE DUCK UP!

• Like 1

Unfortuantely we want people to be respectful and orderly, but allowed to go on rants, call each other, etc... while being self-policed (not over censored, power hungry mods). That takes a level of maturity and familiarlity that isn't sustainable.

It may just be a life cycle issue... I remember enjoying my time on here better from when I joined in '02 through the duration of the lockout. Since then, there were some nasty fights, a protectionist movement (where anyone new was basically shunned), then a period where we were babying new posters - which caused a rift between those trying to be accepting and others basically saying new posters should just read and not be heard... then more recently - this bitter nastiness that has stainded almost every forum (even in the once tight-nit fantasy forums).

Ultimately though... maybe we just need to win another cup. The spirit of the forum has been sh!t pretty much as the Devils have played. Which is somewhat understandable, but shouldn't be accepted.

C'mon, this thread is about this board, we all know HF sucks and that there's no way this place will become like that place.

And this is why I prefer this place. Instead of Mods throwing censorship and infractions around all willy nilly, you get fellow members calling you out and keeping threads on track. If you're mature, you move on. If you're ignore-worthy, it turns into name-calling and nannynannypoopoo nonsense. And speaking of back on track ...

Ignore feature FTW.