New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, after all the rumblings from so many bloggers / journalists today, that if all of a sudden Kovalchuk signs with us it would be hilarious. I think Єklund (2.3% accurate) would lose his entire west coast visitor-base forever. Of course, it would also make (N)Єverson credible, but I guess you can't have everything.

I have to admit, after all the rumblings from so many bloggers / journalists today, that if all of a sudden Kovalchuk signs with us it would be hilarious. I think Єklund (2.3% accurate) would lose his entire west coast visitor-base forever. Of course, it would also make (N)Єverson credible, but I guess you can't have everything.

Why what did (N)Єverson say?

Latest from TFP

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak100716.html

A Kings official later told TFP no deal had been agreed to and nothing – as of this afternoon – was imminent.

The Kings and Kovalchuk remain in constant discussion, though it's believed Lombardi is scouring the trade market for other possibilities.

Looks like this isn't ending anytime soon after all.

There has been some creative stuff going on in the talks as well.. AEG could employ Mr and Mrs.Kovalchuk in various ways, but they will need to be careful with this not to circumvent the salary cap in the CBA.

Maybe Kovy's wife really IS trying to get a music deal out of this whole thing, after all.

@PetrosAndMoney Kovi looks done 15 yrs 80 mil. Structure being finished. Kings-m

Hard to believe he'd take that small of a contract. $5.33 cap hit.

I stopped reading this post after I read that it was from "Petros and Money"

Latest from TFP

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak100716.html

Looks like this isn't ending anytime soon after all.

I also stopped reading this post after I saw it was from TFP.

My link

''sorry for the lack of blogs today folks. dealing with a nasty stomach virus that has hit 3/4th of the Єklund (2.3% accurate) household.''

smilydev.gifsmilydev.gifsmilydev.gif

LOL, I guess that means he's sick and everyone else is fine!

I truthfully don't see this as a "mediocre squad", look at the lines from the team pre-kovy last year and compare them with pre-kovy this year:

Last year:

PZL

Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors

Rolston-Niedermayer-Clarkson

Peters-Pelley-Pando

Martin-Greene

White-Oduya

Salvador-Murphy

This year:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Zubrus

Clarkson-Josefson-Rolston

Whatever-Pelley-Zharkov

Volchenkov-Greene

Tallinder-Urbom

White-Salvador

-------------------

We now have a legitimate 2nd line center and a vastly improved blue-line. And you have to expect we're going to get some sort of solid production out of an unexpected company right out of the gate; 2 years ago we had Oduya, last year we had Bergfors/Greene, I really think Zubrus is going to have a really really solid year and Josefson is going to make a major impact in his rookie season. Plus, you have to expectLou is going to move one of our 4 bonafide stay-at-home defenseman. I don't know, I just don't really see this team as "mediocre". We'll certainly compete for another division title with this lineup, and maybe this time we have enough grit on our blueline to make some noise in the playoffs.

The defense is upgraded from last year with the new blood. However, I am not sold on Andy Greene playing that well again. The 3rd and 4th lines are weak. Playing Clarkson and Rolston on the same line is not possible. They are slow and will only find success if Josefson is a great play maker. Burying Zharkov on the 4th line is a waste. He may be the only thing we have as a potential up and comer for finishing. That guy was snake bit last year like I haven't seen in a long time. Also, having Langs on the top line will be short lived. The guy looks like he is skating in mud. Those legs are long spent. And that isn't even addressing any attitude issues. I like the 2nd line a lot.

I guess time will tell, but even a successful regular season, doesn't mean much as we know. No matter what moves are made, some serious chemistry needs to be built in order for there to be any chance of post season success.

Edited by hystyk28

Latest from the LA Times

http://latimesblogs....mbardi-nhl.html

Kovalchuk and Kings inching closer, but there's no deal yet

July 16, 2010 | 9:14 pm Another day, another flurry of Ilya Kovalchuk rumors.

Friday’s spiciest speculation had him agreeing to a contract with the Kings -- which turned out to be false — while other reports said he’s close to an agreement, which seems far more likely.

One source familiar with the discussions said he’s 98% sure it will get done and that Kovalchuk will be a King. But in a process as bizarre as this one has been at every step, and with neither Kovalchuk’s agent nor Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi willing to comment, that 2% is too much wiggle room.

Among the issues they’re believed to be working on: payment for the 2012-13 season, a season that could be lost to a lockout, and whether the deal will include a no-trade or no-movement clause. And if there is a clause that allows him to veto a trade or specify a number of teams he’d agree to join in a trade, the two sides will have to agree on when it would kick in.

The 2012-13 issue is a real concern to players and teams. If there’s no season, players wouldn’t get paid — but any pre-agreed signing bonuses would have to be paid. Teams don’t want to pay anything if there’s no season, but players want bonuses — or, in a worst-case scenario, to lose as little salary as possible.

The seven-year extension the Minnesota Wild gave center Mikko Koivu will take effect in the 2011-12 season and is structured to help both sides in the event of a canceled season. He will earn $7.29 million in salary and a $1.89-million installment of his signing bonus in 2011-12 but in 2012-13 he’s scheduled to earn only $5.40 million and get no bonus. He goes back to earning $7.29 million and a $1.89-million bonus payment in 2013-14, and there’s a double bonus payment of $3.780 million in the final season, 2017-18, along with a salary of $9.180 million.

The total value of Koivu’s deal is $47.25 million over seven seasons, a cap hit of $6.75 million per season. That's almost certainly higher than the Kings’ cap hit will be for Kovalchuk, a two-time 50-goal scorer, an oddity given that Koivu -- who was the sixth pick in the 2001 draft, five spots after Kovalchuk -- has never scored more than 22 goals or 71 points in a season. Michael Russo, who covers the Wild for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, makes the casethat Koivu’s value goes beyond pure statistics because he's a two-way player and a franchise cornerstone, and it makes for some interesting reading.

Koivu also got a no-trade clause, which Kovalchuk is likely to want.

And so we wait, and wait . . .

--Helene Elliott

7 hours without a new posting in here. Saturday morning + Kovy apathy is a powerful combination.

Between the amount of time this is taking and the fact that the writing is on the wall, I don't think anyone gives a sh!t anymore.

Kovalchuk close to becoming a King

Published 17 July, 2010, 17:18

Russian Times: http://rt.com/Top_Ne...-kings-nhl.html

Ilya Kovalchuk, the major unrestricted free-agent in the NHL in the off-season, is close to signing with the LA Kings, local media claims.

Friday’s spiciest speculation had him agreeing to a contract with the Kings, while other reports said he is close to an agreement – which seems far more likely.

A source familiar with the discussions told the LA Times “he’s 98% sure it will get done. [Kovalchuk] will be a King.” But given the slow pace of the negotiations, two percent is still a lot of wiggle room. Among the issues the two sides are believed to be working on are payment for the 2012/2013 season – a season that could be lost to a lockout – and whether the deal will include a no-trade or no-movement clause. And if there is a clause that allows him to veto a trade or specify a number of teams he’d agree to join in a trade, the two sides will have to agree on that when it kicks in.

The 27-year-old wing has reportedly been offered a seven-year, $60-million contract from the New Jersey Devils. Kings’ General Manager Dean Lombardi made his offer to Kovalchuk and his agent Jay Grossman after that. A salary-cap hit in the $5-6million range would be more amenable to the Kings, who face the prospect of losing young defensemen Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson as well as forward Wayne Simmonds to free agency after the 2010/2011 season.

Earlier this year, Kovalchuk turned down a 12-year, $101-million offer from Atlanta.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD