2010 MLB Thread

devilsrule33

Even if he does, as he should, it ruined this guys night. he should be crying and jumping with his teammates right now.

I agree a 110%. I don't know if Selig even can overturn it, and I know its a longshot but I just felt compelled to make a facebook group in support of Selig officially awarding the pefect game. Feel free to join here... http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=128350057184641

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel horrible for Galarraga...I can't even imagine that. There has to be a way Selig could award the perfect game, it's just not right. I mean sure umps are human, mistakes are going to be made, but damn, that is one of the worst mistakes in history.

i couldn't have said it better myself. A kid pitches the game of his LIFE (in all probability he will never come anywhere close to doing that again), and you make THAT call. You can tell by looking a the replay too that Joyce wasn't really sure (seemed hesitant). I know if I were the ump in that situation, I'm giving the call to the pitcher if it is anywhere close. This will no doubt haunt him for the rest of his life.

Same here, I umped for three years as a teenager, it's a thankless job, and I remember how much it sucked to do, so I usually feel for them as well. But man oh man, Jim Joyce simply choked, and you can't do that. You always give a benefit of the doubt in that case, even if it was close (which, of course, it wasn't. That's what makes it even more ridiculous, dude didn't even NEED the benefit of the doubt).

I feel terrible for both parties. Joyce truly believed he was safe. Umps make bad calls nightly. Unfortunately, this happened to be this umpires biggest call of his career and he absolutely blew it. His life has forever changed and for that...I feel pretty bad.

Just a sh!tty situation. A perfect game was thrown tonight, and it won't be counted.

I feel terrible for both parties. Joyce truly believed he was safe. Umps make bad calls nightly. Unfortunately, this happened to be this umpires biggest call of his career and he absolutely blew it. His life has forever changed and for that...I feel pretty bad.

Just a sh!tty situation. A perfect game was thrown tonight, and it won't be counted.

+1

Mistakes happen. This was just a really, really, REALLY bad place for a mistake.

Today we should be talking about Armando Galarraga's perfect game and Austin Jackson's Willie Mays-esque catch for the first out in the ninth preserving said perfect game. Instead we're talking about a bad call.

Can this be the catalyst for expanding Instant Replay in baseball?

i couldn't have said it better myself. A kid pitches the game of his LIFE (in all probability he will never come anywhere close to doing that again), and you make THAT call. You can tell by looking a the replay too that Joyce wasn't really sure (seemed hesitant). I know if I were the ump in that situation, I'm giving the call to the pitcher if it is anywhere close. This will no doubt haunt him for the rest of his life.

The other side of this is, if the runner was safe and he called him out (giving the pitcher exceptional leeway), would you really want the perfect game anyway? Just gift wrapped for you regardless if you earned it?

Watching the reply in full speed I can easily see how someone can make that mistake. Maybe baseball can use a modified variant of the NFL's system where managers have 3-4 "reviews" per game they can use on questionable calls.

As bad as it was, this incident has brought out something that we almost never see in the chest-thumping, me-first world of professional sports anymore ... humility.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100603/OPINION03/6030429/1129/SPORTS0104/Perfect-robbery--Blown-call-steals-Galarraga-s-perfect-game

About 45 minutes after the game, Joyce called him out of the clubhouse and apologized to the pitcher for soiling his slice of fame, what would have been only the 21st perfect game in major-league history (and strangely, it would've been the third this season). There were few words, just a deep apology, as tears welled in Joyce's eyes.

"He feels really bad, probably worse than me," said Galarraga, who began the season in the minors in Toledo. "I give a lot of credit to that guy, to say he's sorry. I gave him a hug. His body English said more than the words. Nobody's perfect, everybody's human."

Galarraga showed tremendous dignity containing himself, after the finest effort of the 28-year-old right-hander's career. At the moment Joyce called the runner safe, Galarraga looked up in disbelief, which melted to a nervous, you-gotta-be-kidding smirk.

It was especially poignant not because perfection was lost -- it was because perfection apparently, legitimately, was achieved, and the umpire simply didn't call it. I know you want to yell for Joyce's job and demand baseball immediately institute an instant-replay system to overturn calls, but good luck with that. Many want to lament the unfairness of it, and that's all understandable.

But Galarraga and Leyland and the Tigers handled it well, as well as can be expected. And it doesnt make people feel better, but Joyce dealt with the fallout appropriately, too.

"It was the biggest call of my career and I kicked the (expletive) out of it," Joyce said. "I just cost that kid a perfect game after he pitched his (butt) off all night. I had a great angle, and I missed the call. After I heard from the Tigers, who had obviously seen a replay, I asked the guy in the room to cue up the play as soon as we got in here, and I missed it from here to that wall."

I'm proud of Galarraga. He handled it so amazingly well as is Leyland. Dude is playing a game after all.

And I'm proud to be a Tiger fan. The organization is doing a great job with rewarding Armando.

I'm also a bitter fan. This sucks. I'm writing a letter to Ilitch and the Tigers suggesting Armando change his uniform # to 21!

frustration once again for the Tigers and they are handling it so well!

Go TIGERS!

Pumped up for the first round of the draft tonight! Rounds 2-30 tomorrow, then 31-50 Wednesday. Last year I had the pleasure of actually being online and following every round live. I can't this year, but if you get a chance, go for it! I have full confidence in Damon Oppenheimer and his crew to do a solid job for the Yankees. Give me upside or give me death.

Josh Sale is a sweet pick. My favorite prep bat in the draft, wouldn't have minded to see Mets take him at #7.

The Yankees should look at some of the high-upside high school kids: OF Austin Wilson who has a TON of tools but will be a really tough sign, or RHP Stetson Allie who has nasty stuff. Not sure if either of them will be there (I have a feeling Phillies take Wilson), but certainly worth a look if they are.

Edited by nmigliore

Anyone else surprised the Sox passed on Cox?

Cox is looking for ridiculous money. I think hes pretty overrated too; he can HIT, but his defense and power are major question marks.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow, the Pirates took Allie. Taillon and Allie are beasts. Great draft for them so far.

Red Sox are also having a nice draft: Vitek, Brentz, Ranaudo, Workman; that's a REALLY sweet collegiate haul.

Edited by nmigliore

Wait, what am I doing at work?

This is Stephen Strasburg Day, a National( :rimshot: ) holiday.

Everybody's supposed to be given the day off so we can watch his warmups in the bullpen before seeing that historic first pitch. It's the start of a new era you know.

Wait, what am I doing at work?

This is Stephen Strasburg Day, a National( :rimshot: ) holiday.

Everybody's supposed to be given the day off so we can watch his warmups in the bullpen before seeing that historic first pitch. It's the start of a new era you know.

Obviously he's taking the Natties to the world series :P