Bettman: "I'm sorry."

RunninWithTheDevil

sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-commissioner-gary-bettman-says-m-sorry-nhl-222016379--nhl.html

"To the players, who were very clear they wanted to be on the ice and not negotiating labor contracts; to our partners, who support the league financially and personally; and most importantly, to our fans, who love and have missed NHL hockey, I'm sorry..."

As George Costanza once famously said, "You can stuff your sorries in a sack, mister".

I feel the same. But we all know some other windbag lawyer will just step in if he does. The days of sports people running sports is another group of days that are long gone.

Oh, I'm with ya, I don't think the next guy will necessarily represent any great upgrade. I just can't take Bettman anymore.

Well Daly and Steve Fehr seemed to have a cordial enough relationship, and that may well be the next CBA 'standoff'...but it's easier to be cordial when you're the #2.

They were just playing the good cop, don't read anything into it. The only way a lockout will be avoided next time is if the revenues suffer

More from Bettman:

"As I said, no words of apology or explanation will soften the disappointment. I read the letters, I followed the tweets, I read the blogs. We have a lot of work to do. The National Hockey League has a responsibility to earn back your trust and support, whether you watch one game or every game. And that effort begins today. The players are ready to play their hearts out for you. The teams are preparing to welcome you back with open arms. The wait is just about over. Like all of you, we can’t wait to drop the puck."

___

I really want to see what he does to follow up on that statement.

BTW Carp, thanks for that Cheech & Chong clip. That movie is hilarious.

Edited by 95Crash

Gary, from a fan standpoint, you're probably the most hated man in hockey. No one wants to hear from you. No more words. Action.

Bettman's body language and verbal posture in that press conference indicate that the NHL or Players are FAR FAR FAR from happy with what transpired. The gist I get is that they HAD to come to a consensus to salvage something and were put up against some pressure forces to make it happen.

The fact that some NHL'ers abroad are staying put for the time being are also indications of this...

This league is a farce and a joke. It's obvious the fan base is not large enough that they can risk closing down the NHL for 2 seasons over the last 20 years. If the NFL had done that it would have been a much different story.

Bunch of idiots...I'm sick to my stomach.

Verily, unless the NHL gives me free season tickets the next few years, they are locked out of my income.

Hopefully, seeing the Titans in the next two weeks.

The next FEW years? I've got a bad taste in my mouth from the latest lockout too, but I don't think I can hold out THAT long, haha. Will you be watching on TV?

I'm taking the first 10 games off for sure, no TV, no streaming, no nothing. After that, I'll see where I stand.

After the first lockout, I was immediately on board. But this is too much, clearly the fans really are looked upon as helpless patsies. Back in the 80's after the MLB strike I learned how irrelevant baseball was, and I have never watched or attended a baseball game since. Fortunately, being in the NY region there are so many other entertaining distractions to spend my $ on that I am sure overtime I will find something else to fill this NHL void, regardless of the love for hockey in my blood.

After the first lockout, I was immediately on board. But this is too much, clearly the fans really are looked upon as helpless patsies. Back in the 80's after the MLB strike I learned how irrelevant baseball was, and I have never watched or attended a baseball game since. Fortunately, being in the NY region there are so many other entertaining distractions to spend my $ on that I am sure overtime I will find something else to fill this NHL void, regardless of the love for hockey in my blood.

If you have the time to read it, here's a great article by some guy named F.J. Corrigan who writes a blog about the Washington Capitals and who says that after being a fan for 29 years he's giving up his season tickets because of the lockout.

http://peerlessprogn...im-done_11.html

If you have the time to read it, here's a great article by some guy named F.J. Corrigan who writes a blog about the Washington Capitals and who says that after being a fan for 29 years he's giving up his season tickets because of the lockout.

Agree, excellent read, and sums up a lot of fans' feelings quite well.

Absolutely awesome read. This guy sums up so many of the reasons why I won't be setting foot in an NHL arena this year.