Parise: "No way" I'll sign with Rangers

Amberite

July 1st can't come fast enough. All these rumors and quotes are making me very optimistic about him returning.

"I would never play for Detroit, that's how much I hate them" - Chris Chelios

"I'm a Dallas Star. These are my friends; these are my teammates. There's no one on my side demanding anything or trying to do anything. I do understand, though, that Joe needs to do a job. He's got to look out for what's best for the franchise. That's the business we're in and it happens all the time. There's no hard feelings." - Brad Richards

I hope Zach's quote is true and he means it. I really do. However with history showing us what it has I think these type of things should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by TheMazz

I don't see what that has to do with anything

Well in quote one we have Chelios saying that he would never play for Detroit. Which he ended up doing. Quote two has Brad Richards saying that he is a Dallas Star and was talking up how much he loves the organization the entire quote. Didn't resign with them the season after.

Yeah and Chelios probably said that like ten years before actually going to Detroit, not two weeks.

I'm not even worried about the Rangers now anyway, they're not going to mach Minnesota's ginormous offer lol, and they don't offer a better chance at winning or an opportunity to be the captain and face of the team like the Devils do either.

Well in quote one we have Chelios saying that he would never play for Detroit. Which he ended up doing. Quote two has Brad Richards saying that he is a Dallas Star and was talking up how much he loves the organization the entire quote. Didn't resign with them the season after.

It's an innocuous quote though (the Richards one), 99.9% of people who are playing on the team are going to publicly say they love it at the time they're on it. It's not saying he'll never leave.

He's not speaking in the same way that Zach is in that quote. Everyone knew he was leaving Dallas. I'm not saying Zach won't leave, but that is much more boilerplate 'I'm leaving' than what Zach is doing.

if the Leafs got fined for tampering when Wilson talked about their interest in the Sedins i dont know why the wild isnt tampering now... i guess because it wasnt said "directly" in a press conference or wtv

the person who made these comments does not work for the Wild.

the person who made these comments does not work for the Wild.

There could be an investigation to determine whether Wild management intentionally brought it up with the aim of getting the statement out there. Same thing in principle as a third-party "independently" contacting a player's agent saying, "I've got it on good authority that this is what team x is prepared to offer."

Honestly, if this plays out the way Nanne claimed it would, I would not be shocked if there is some kind of investigation.

There could be an investigation to determine whether Wild management intentionally brought it up with the aim of getting the statement out there. Same thing in principle as a third-party "independently" contacting a player's agent saying, "I've got it on good authority that this is what team x is prepared to offer."

Honestly, if this plays out the way Nanne claimed it would, I would not be shocked if there is some kind of investigation.

Yeah, this is a sneaky way to try to get around the tampering charge, no question. In many ways, this is far worse than Wilson saying 'we might have an interest in the Sedins', especially since Wilson has no power to negotiate. People that do have the power to offer contracts (the Wild owner and GM) let word leak through a friendly third party that they would be ready to basically throw Zach a blank check by saying they won't be outbid, and in another article the numbers $8-9 million a year were floated out there.

Really, something needs to be done to close this tampering loophole because if it isn't, a million teams are going to get figures out in the media this way, through an intermediary. People who work for the organization just cannot be allowed to tell anyone outside of the organization their plans for free agent X, period. I realize it's going to happen surreptitiously at times, but it can't be done in such a brazen public fashion, or the 'exclusive negotiating' window is meaningless.

Edited by NJDevs4978

How about just letting GMs talk about whatever players they want? I don't understand why this tampering rule even exists really. Why is it so awful for a GM to talk about interest in another team's player in the media? I guess it could be used as a weapon (pretending to have trade talks about players) but why is that so bad? It would make for more interesting copy.

How about just letting GMs talk about whatever players they want? I don't understand why this tampering rule even exists really. Why is it so awful for a GM to talk about interest in another team's player in the media? I guess it could be used as a weapon (pretending to have trade talks about players) but why is that so bad? It would make for more interesting copy.

You have tampering rules because, otherwise, there would be no point in having a date that opens free agency. Also imagine a situation where a player's agent, or perhaps the player himself, is getting calls from a bunch of teams during the season. Permitting tampering would also make the idea of trading a player's rights pointless.

I think Parise will sign with the Rags before the NHL does ANYTHING to the Wild here. i don't think the league goes out of their way to hurt us necessarily, but they sure won't go out of their way to help us.

I think Parise will sign with the Rags before the NHL does ANYTHING to the Wild here. i don't think the league goes out of their way to hurt us necessarily, but they sure won't go out of their way to help us.

We got a pretty nice reward for the Blues tampering with Stevens, not to mention being awarded Stevens in the first place. And that was back during the time when it was common wisdom that the Devils were destroying the league.

Edited by Daniel

i am kind of confused with the role of an agent during free agency but here is an example:

Lets say hypothetically these three teams offer 10 year contracts:

DEVILS $75 million

WILD $110 million

RANGERS $85 million

Now lets say Parise only wants to play with the Devils and has no interest in signing anywhere else. Can the agent force him or encourage to him play elsewhere to get the most money (since the agent will get a cut of the money)

I doubt this happens but was just curious. I am assuming if this happens, Parise would just fire his agent

i am kind of confused with the role of an agent during free agency but here is an example:

DEVILS $75 million

WILD $110 million

RANGERS $85 million

Now lets say Parise only wants to play with the Devils and has no interest in signing anywhere else. Can the agent force him or encourage to him play elsewhere to get the most money (since the agent will get a cut of the money)

I doubt this happens but was just curious. I am assuming if this happens, Parise would just fire his agent

Everyone should be like Marty and have no agent. B )

Edited by Zubie#8

We got a pretty nice reward for the Blues tampering with Stevens, not to mention being awarded Stevens in the first place. And that was back during the time when it was common wisdom that the Devils were destroying the league.

There was physical evidence of the Blues GM negotiating before the assigned date.

This isn't tampering, guys. If Zach's agents didn't know that Minnesota would make the biggest offer, they probably shouldn't be his agents.

There was physical evidence of the Blues GM negotiating before the assigned date.

This isn't tampering, guys. If Zach's agents didn't know that Minnesota would make the biggest offer, they probably shouldn't be his agents.

I think the Stevens debacle was also just before we started destroying the league, not during :)

DEVILS $75 million

WILD $110 million

RANGERS $85 million

The agent can't force anything. He can suggest, and his job is to get his client the best possible offer. Parise has the final say.

Brodeur fired his agent in 95 because the agent wanted him to hold out and Marty just wanted to work out a deal.

All Brian Burke did was answer a question and say he might be interested in signing the Sedins and he was fined for tampering.

This isn't a matter of being a homer. Someone who used to be with the organization, who, after having a meeting with current management, makes essentially the same pitch that they would make after noon on July 1. That, at the very least, warrants an investigation.

Ultimately though, the worst that would happen is a fine, or maybe the forfeit of a low draft pick.

You have tampering rules because, otherwise, there would be no point in having a date that opens free agency. Also imagine a situation where a player's agent, or perhaps the player himself, is getting calls from a bunch of teams during the season. Permitting tampering would also make the idea of trading a player's rights pointless.

I think this is the exact scenario that happens in international soccer. Their transfer policies are a mess, and there is constant talk amongst agents and team managers about player movement in the middle of the season with the player under contract to another team. It's great for bloggers nad journalists, but horrible for the fans as there's always talk about who's getting brought in and who's leaving once the transfer window opens.